Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health & Science University
3375 SW Terwilliger Blvd.
Portland, OR 97239-4197
Dr. David Huang is the Peterson Professor of Ophthalmology and a Professor of Ophthalmology and Biomedical Engineering at the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). Dr. Huang earned the MD degree from HarvardUniversity and a PhD in Medical Engineering and Medical Physics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received ophthalmology residency training at the Doheny Eye Institute/University of Southern California and fellowship training in cornea, external disease and refractive surgery at Emory University School of Medicine. Prior to joining OHSU, Dr. Huang had been on the faculty of the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Southern California.
Dr. Huang is known for his innovations in applying laser and optical technology to eye diseases. He is a co-inventor of optical coherence tomography (OCT), an imaging technology that has been applied to the measurement of eye structures with unprecedented precision. More recently he has pioneered anterior segment OCT and OCT angiography. His seminal article on optical coherence tomography, published in Science in 1991, has been cited more than 10,000 times. He has 16 issued patents and 14 pending patents in the areas of OCT, mobile health testing, tissue engineering and corneal laser surgery. He has been the principal investigator of five National Institutes of Health research grants totaling over $20 million. He has published more than 170 peer-reviewed articles and edited 6 books. Dr. Huang has received the Champalimaud Vision Award, the largest prize given for ophthalmic research, the Jonas Friedenwald Award, one of the highest awards from the Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology, and the Senior Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Dr. Huang leads the Center for Ophthalmic Optics and Lasers (www.COOLLab.net ). He is a founder of Gobiquity Mobile Health, Inc. (www.gobiquity.com ), a maker of mobile diagnostic apps and devices for medical professionals.
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technolgoy, Cambridge Massachusetts 1985
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge Massachusetts 1989
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 1993
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge Massachusetts 1993
- University of Southern California, July 1994-June 1997, ophthalmology
- Emory University, July 1997-June 1998, cornea, external diseases, and refractive surgery
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1999
- "Near-infrared laser thermal conjunctivoplasty." Scientific Reports In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 3863, 01.12.2018.
- "Automated quantification of nonperfusion areas in 3 vascular plexuses with optical coherence tomography angiography in eyes of patients with diabetes." JAMA ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 8, 01.08.2018, p. 929-936.
- "Estimating Medicare and Patient Savings From the Use of Bevacizumab for the Treatment of Exudative Age-related Macular Degeneration." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 191, 01.07.2018, p. 135-139.
- "Deep learning for the segmentation of preserved photoreceptors on en face optical coherence tomography in two inherited retinal diseases." Biomedical Optics Express In: , Vol. 9, No. 7, #326568, 01.07.2018, p. 3092-3105.
- "Evaluation of automatically quantified foveal avascular zone metrics for diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy using optical coherence tomography angiography." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science In: , Vol. 59, No. 6, 01.05.2018, p. 2212-2221.
- "Automated spectroscopic retinal oximetry with visible-light optical coherence tomography." Biomedical Optics Express In: , Vol. 9, No. 5, #320440, 01.05.2018, p. 2056-2067.
- "Fast and robust standard-deviation-based method for bulk motion compensation in phase-based functional OCT." Optics Letters In: , Vol. 43, No. 9, 01.05.2018, p. 2204-2207.
- "Optical coherence tomography angiography enhances the detection of optic nerve damage in multiple sclerosis." British Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 102, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 520-524.
- "Retinal oxygen delivery and metabolism in healthy and sickle cell retinopathy subjects." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science In: , Vol. 59, No. 5, 01.04.2018, p. 1905-1909.
- "Optical coherence tomography angiography and ultra-widefield optical coherence tomography in a child with incontinentia pigmenti." Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers and Imaging Retina In: , Vol. 49, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 273-275.
- "Unilateral Double Optic Nerve Head Pits." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 125, No. 3, 01.03.2018, p. 369-390.
- "Optical coherence tomography angiography of a pigmented Fuchs' adenoma (age-related hyperplasia of the nonpigmented ciliary body epithelium) masquerading as a ciliary body melanoma." American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports In: , Vol. 9, 01.03.2018, p. 72-74.
- "Estimating Public and Patient Savings From Basic Research—A Study of Optical Coherence Tomography in Managing Antiangiogenic Therapy." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 185, 01.01.2018, p. 115-122.
- "Automated detection of preserved photoreceptor on optical coherence tomography in choroideremia based on machine learning." Journal of Biophotonics In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Nerve fiber flux analysis using wide-field swept-source optical coherence tomography." Translational Vision Science and Technology In: , Vol. 7, No. 1, 16, 01.01.2018.
- "Polarization-multiplexed, dual-beam swept source optical coherence tomography angiography." Journal of Biophotonics In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Reduced Retinal Vessel Density in Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma : A Quantitative Study Using Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography." Journal of Glaucoma In: , Vol. 27, No. 4, 01.01.2018, p. 322-327.
- "Ophthalmic imaging in children : current practice patterns and perceived barriers." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Comparison of Glaucoma Progression Detection by Optical Coherence Tomography and Visual Field." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 184, 01.12.2017, p. 63-74.
- "Automated detection of photoreceptor disruption in mild diabetic retinopathy on volumetric optical coherence tomography." Biomedical Optics Express In: , Vol. 8, No. 12, #307477, 01.12.2017, p. 5384-5398.
- "Projection-resolved optical coherence tomography angiography exhibiting early flow prior to clinically observed retinal angiomatous proliferation." American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports In: , Vol. 8, 01.12.2017, p. 53-57.
- "Interchangeability and reliability of macular perfusion parameter measurements using optical coherence tomography angiography." British Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 101, No. 11, 01.11.2017, p. 1542-1549.
- "Automated drusen detection in dry age-related macular degeneration by multiple-depth, en face optical coherence tomography." Biomedical Optics Express In: , Vol. 8, No. 11, #305458, 01.11.2017, p. 5049-5064.
- "Light scattering measurements in electron-beam sterilized corneas stored in recombinant human serum albumin." Cell and Tissue Banking In: , 12.10.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography of the Peripapillary Retina in Primary Angle-Closure Glaucoma." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 182, 01.10.2017, p. 194-200.
- "Angiographic and structural imaging using high axial resolution fiber-based visible-light OCT." Biomedical Optics Express In: , Vol. 8, No. 10, #304064, 01.10.2017, p. 4595-4608.
- "Aqueous humor endothelin-1 and total retinal blood flow in patients with non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy." Eye (Basingstoke) In: , Vol. 31, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 1443-1450.
- "Wide-field OCT angiography investigation of the relationship between radial peripapillary capillary plexus density and nerve fiber layer thickness." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science In: , Vol. 58, No. 12, 01.10.2017, p. 5188-5194.
- "Handheld optical coherence tomography angiography and ultra-wide-field optical coherence tomography in retinopathy of prematurity." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 135, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 977-981.
- "Sensitivity and Specificity of OCT Angiography to Detect Choroidal Neovascularization." Kidney International Reports In: , Vol. 2, No. 4, 01.07.2017, p. 294-303.