Dr. Amling specializes in treating cancers of the urinary and reproductive system, including the prostate, kidneys and bladder. He is an expert in minimally invasive cancer treatments, including robotic surgery for prostate and bladder cancer. Before coming to OHSU, Dr. Amling directed the Division of Urology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he held the Anton J. Beuschen Chair in urologic surgery and research. Previously, he was chairman of the Department of Urology at the U.S. Naval Medical Center in San Diego.
Dr. Amling is a national and international authority on the latest prostate cancer treatments, including surgery with the da Vinci robotic system. He has also developed new ways to educate surgical residents and published many articles in medical journals on diagnosing and treating prostate cancer.
An Oregon native, he was born in Coquille and graduated from the University of Oregon and OHSU School of Medicine. He is board certified in urology and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Urologic Association, which chose him for a prestigious award in 2009. Each year, the Gold Cystoscope Award goes to a urologist who has made important contributions to the specialty within 13 years of finishing residency training.
Other awards and honors include being elected president of the Society of University Urologists and serving on the editorial board of the Journal of Urology. Dr. Amling also reviews papers submitted for publication in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the Journal of Urology and Cancer and several other medical journals.
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 1985
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 1990-1992
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Department of Urology, urologic oncology, 1996-1997
- Diplomat, American Board of Urology
Memberships and associations
- American Urologic Association, Western Section - American Urologic Association, American College of Surgeons, American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, Society of Urologic Oncology, Western Urologic Forum, Society of University Urologists, Society of Urology Chairman and Program Directors, and Society of Government Service Urologists.
- "Chemoprevention of prostate cancer" Current Urology Reports May 2009
- "Watchful waiting and factors predictive of secondary treatment of localized prostate cancer" Journal of Urology March 2004
- "How the Addition of Hormones Improves Outcome" European Urology, Supplements February 2004
- "Prostate cancer screening" Current Urology Reports May 2010
- "Malignant cytological washings from prostate specimens" Journal of Urology 2001
- "The Effect of Race/Ethnicity on the Accuracy of the 2001 Partin Tables for Predicting Pathologic Stage of Localized Prostate Cancer" Urology January 2008
- "Body Mass Index, Prostate Weight and Transrectal Ultrasound Prostate Volume Accuracy" Journal of Urology September 2007
- "Early versus delayed hormonal therapy for prostate specific antigen only recurrence of prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy" Journal of Urology March 2004
- "Time trends in biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy" Urology April 1 2003
- "Temporarily deferred therapy (watchful waiting) for men younger than 70 years and with low-risk localized prostate cancer in the prostate-specific antigen era" Journal of Clinical Oncology November 1 2003
- "The Percentage of Prostate Needle Biopsy Cores with Carcinoma from the More Involved Side of the Biopsy as a Predictor of Prostate Specific Antigen Recurrence after Radical Prostatectomy" Cancer December 1 2003
- "Prostate-specific antigen and detection of prostate cancer" Current Treatment Options in Oncology September 2006
- "Limitations of Prostate Specific Antigen Doubling Time Following Biochemical Recurrence After Radical Prostatectomy" Journal of Urology May 2008
- "Diabetes and outcomes after radical prostatectomy" Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention January 2010
- "Clinical and pathologic outcome after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer patients with a preoperative gleason sum of 8 to 10" Cancer September 15 2006
- "Relationship between obesity and prostate cancer" Current Opinion in Urology May 2005
- "Deoxyribonucleic acid ploidy and serum prostate specific antigen predict outcome following salvage prostatectomy for radiation refractory prostate cancer" Journal of Urology 1999
- "Glycemic control and prostate cancer progression" Prostate October 1 2010
- "Preoperative weight change and risk of adverse outcome following radical prostatectomy" Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases December 2011
- "Direct MRI-guided biopsy of the prostate" Abdominal Radiology February 17 2015
- "Detectable prostate-specific antigen nadir during androgen-deprivation therapy predicts adverse prostate cancer-specific outcomes" European Urology March 2014
- "Correlation of DNA ploidy and histologic diagnosis from prostate core- needle biopsies" Journal of Surgical Oncology September 1996
- "High cholesterol levels are associated with reduced prostate cancer mortality rates during periods of high but not low statin use in the United States" Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations March 2009
- "Is there a difference in outcome after radical prostatectomy between patients with biopsy Gleason sums 4, 5, and 6? Results from the SEARCH database" Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases 2003
- "Management and extended outcome of patients with synchronous bilateral solid renal neoplasms in the absence of von Hippel-Lindau disease" Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2000
- "Managing bone health in men with metastatic prostate cancer" Urology Times April 1 2015
- "The influence of hepatic function on prostate cancer outcomes after radical prostatectomy" Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases June 2010
- "Impact of nerve sparing on surgical margins and biochemical recurrence" Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases 2009
- "Obesity-related plasma hemodilution and PSA concentration among men with prostate cancer" JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association November 21 2007
- "Improved clinical staging system combining biopsy laterality and TNM stage for men with T1c and T2 prostate cancer" Journal of Urology June 1 2003