As a general internist and health services researcher, Dr. Nicolaidis uses participatory research to improve the health and healthcare of marginalized populations. Many of her current projects focus on autism in adulthood. She is the co-founder and co-director of the Academic Autism Spectrum Partnership in Research and Education (AASPIRE), an international academic-community partnership that uses community based participatory research to address the priorities of autistic adults. AASPIRE has conducted a series of National Institute of Health-funded studies on healthcare and employment for autistic adults and has created the AASPIRE Healthcare Toolkit for use in primary care settings. She also is the founding Editor-in-Chief of a new peer-reviewed journal, Autism in Adulthood. More broadly, Dr. Nicolaidis works to improve health equity and address social determinants of health. Over the course of her career, she has led or collaborated on multiple externally-funded projects on intimate partner violence and other trauma, racial and ethnic health equity, chronic pain, substance use disorders, depression, patient-provider communication, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and health system transformation. Her documentary, the Voices of Survivors: Domestic Violence Survivors Educate Physicians has been used in thousands of trainings nationally. She directs the Social Determinants of Health Initiative[CN5] at Portland State University, where she is a Professor in the School of Social Work. She brings expertise in community based participatory research, survey development and adaptation, qualitative and mixed-methods research, and intervention development and evaluation. Dr. Nicolaidis also teaches research methods in the School of Social Work at PSU and teaches and practices general internal medicine at OHSU.
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Washington, 1997-1999
- Internal Medicine, 1996
- "Loneliness is closely associated with depression outcomes and suicidal ideation among military veterans in primary care." Journal of Affective Disorders In: , Vol. 230, 01.04.2018, p. 42-49.
- "Barriers to healthcare : Instrument development and comparison between autistic adults and adults with and without other disabilities." Autism In: , Vol. 21, No. 8, 01.11.2017, p. 972-984.
- "Planning and designing the improving addiction care team (IMPACT) for hospitalized adults with substance use disorder." Journal of Hospital Medicine In: , Vol. 12, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. 339-342.
- "“It’s been an Experience, a Life Learning Experience” : A Qualitative Study of Hospitalized Patients with Substance Use Disorders." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 32, No. 3, 01.03.2017, p. 296-303.
- "A qualitative examination of pain centrality among veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts." Pain Medicine (United States) In: , Vol. 18, No. 2, 01.02.2017, p. 211-219.
- "The Development and Evaluation of an Online Healthcare Toolkit for Autistic Adults and their Primary Care Providers." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 31, No. 10, 01.10.2016, p. 1180-1189.
- "A chronic opioid therapy dose reduction policy in primary care." Substance Abuse In: , Vol. 37, No. 1, 02.01.2016, p. 141-147.
- "Community-based participatory research to adapt health measures for use by people with developmental disabilities." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action In: , Vol. 9, No. 2, 01.12.2015, p. 141-143.
- "Community-based participatory research to adapt health measures for use by people with developmental disabilities." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action In: , Vol. 9, No. 2, 01.12.2015, p. 157-170.
- "Podcast interview transcript." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action In: , Vol. 9, No. 2, 01.12.2015, p. 171-178.
- ""Respect the way i need to communicate with you" : Healthcare experiences of adults on the autism spectrum." Autism In: , Vol. 19, No. 7, 24.10.2015, p. 824-831.
- "Psychometric Properties of the Centrality of Pain Scale." Journal of Pain In: , Vol. 16, No. 7, 3079, 01.07.2015, p. 676-681.
- "Parent health beliefs, social determinants of health, and child health services utilization among us school-age children with autism." Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics In: , Vol. 36, No. 3, 17.04.2015, p. 146-157.
- "Childhood abuse and early menarche among Peruvian women." Journal of Adolescent Health In: , Vol. 56, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 197-202.
- "Association of childhood physical and sexual abuse with intimate partner violence, poor general health and depressive symptoms among pregnant women." PLoS One In: , Vol. 10, No. 1, e0116609, 30.01.2015.
- "The Role of Gender in Violence Experienced by Adults With Developmental Disabilities." Journal of Interpersonal Violence In: , Vol. 32, No. 1, 2015, p. 101-129.
- "Conceptualization of autism in the latino community and its relationship with early diagnosis." Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics In: , Vol. 35, No. 8, 10.10.2014, p. 522-533.
- "Latino parents' perspectives on barriers to autism diagnosis." Academic Pediatrics In: , Vol. 14, No. 3, 2014, p. 301-308.
- "Motivational Interviewing at the Intersections of Depression and Intimate Partner Violence among African American Women." Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work In: , Vol. 11, No. 3, 2014, p. 291-303.
- "Development of an audio-computer assisted self-interview to investigate violence and health in the lives of adults with developmental disabilities." Disability and Health Journal In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 2014, p. 292-301.
- "Getting performance metrics right : A qualitative study of staff experiences implementing and measuring practice transformation." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 29, No. SUPPL. 2, 2014.
- "Congestive heart failure self-management among US veterans : The role of personal and professional advocates." Patient Education and Counseling In: , Vol. 95, No. 3, 2014, p. 371-377.
- "Primary care for adults on the autism spectrum." Medical Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 98, No. 5, 2014, p. 1169-1191.
- ""We've not gotten even close to what we want to do" : A qualitative study of early patient-centered medical home implementation." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 29, No. SUPPL. 2, 2014.
- "Sex differences in the medical care of VA patients with chronic non-cancer pain." Pain Medicine (United States) In: , Vol. 14, No. 12, 12.2013, p. 1839-1847.
- "Healthcare experiences of autistic adults." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 7, 07.2013, p. 871.
- "Comparison of healthcare experiences in autistic and non-autistic adults : A cross-sectional online survey facilitated by an academic-community partnership." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 6, 06.2013, p. 761-769.
- "The interconnections project : Development and evaluation of a community-based depression program for African American violence survivors." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 4, 04.2013, p. 530-538.
- "Patient and provider comfort discussing substance use." Family Medicine In: , Vol. 45, No. 2, 02.2013, p. 109-117.
- "Participatory research with autistic communities : Shifting the system." Worlds of Autism: Across the Spectrum of Neurological Difference. University of Minnesota Press, 2013. p. 169-188.