Charles Roberts, Ph.D., is Associate Director for Research and Professor in the Divisions of Cardiometabolic Heath and Reproductive and Developmental Sciences at the Oregon National Primate Research Center (ONPRC) and Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Cell, Developmental, and Cancer Biology at Oregon Heath & Science University (OHSU). He received his Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), in 1975. Following an American Cancer Society-supported postdoctoral fellowship, he was an Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences at UCSB from 1978-1984. He was then recruited to the Diabetes Branch at the National Institutes of Health in 1984 as a Special Expert, was appointed Associate Chief of the Section of Molecular Physiology in 1989 with tenure, and promoted to Senior Investigator in 1992. In 1994, Dr. Roberts was recruited to OHSU as Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Chair for Research. He was subsequently recruited to ONPRC in 2007. Dr. Roberts has been continuously funded by the NIH for 40 years, has served on ~50 NIH and DOD grant review panels, has co-founded three biotechnology companies in the diagnostic and device space, and holds six issued patents in the clinical therapeutics and diagnostics area. Dr. Roberts’ research has focused on a number of aspects of growth factor and hormone action in obesity, diabetes, and cancer. His current research utilizes nonhuman primate models of over- and undernutrition to investigate disorders of adipose and islet function and is funded by the NIH, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and pharma.
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara California 1971
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara California 1975
- 1977 Postdoctoral fellowship, University of California, Santa Barbara, Gene Regulation
Honors and awards
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Fellowship Award, 10/74
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1975-1977
Memberships and associations
- 2010-present External Advisory Board, UC Irvine Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (CTSA)
- 2011-2013 Endocrine Society Annual Meeting Steering Committee
- 2011-2017 NIDDK Cellular Aspects of Diabetes and Obesity (CADO) IRG
- 2013-present Frontiers in Endocrinology editorial board
- 2014 Grant reviewer, Diabetes Fonds (Netherlands)
- 2014 External project reviewer, Science Foundation Ireland
- 2016-present Board of Directors, National Association for Biomedical Research
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes
- International Society for IGF Research
Varlamov, O., Chu, M., McGee, W., Cameron, J., O’Rourke, R.O., Meyer, K., Bishop, C., Stouffer, R., and Roberts, C.T., Jr. Ovarian cycle-specific regulation of adipose tissue lipid storage by testosterone in female non-human primates. Endocrinology 154:4126-4135 (2013).
Menting, J.G., Yang, Y., Chan, S.J., Phillips, N.B., Smith, B.J. et al. A protective hinge in insulin opens to enable receptor engagement. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111:E3395-E3404 (2014).
Yuen, K.C.J., Roberts, C.T., Jr., Frystyk, J., Rooney, W.D., Pollaro, J.R., Brandon, D.D., Klopfenstein, B.J., and Purnell, J.Q. Short-term low-dose GH therapy improves insulin sensitivity without modifying cortisol metabolism and ectopic fat accumulation in adults with GH deficiency. J. Clin. Endo. Metabol. 99:E1862-1869 (2014).
Chu, M., Cahana, D.Y., Kahl, C., Cornea, A., Sampath, H., Roberts, C.T., Jr., and Varlamov, O. Spatiotemporal dynamics of triglyceride storage in unilocular adipocytes. Mol. Biol. Cell 25:4096-4105 (2014).
Bakhtiani, P.A., Caputo, N., Castle, J.R., El Youssef, J., Carroll, J.M., David, L.L., Roberts, C.T., Jr., and Ward, W.K. A novel, stable aqueous glucagon formulation using ferulic acid as an excipient. J. Diabetes Sci. Tech. 9:3-7 (2015).
Varlamov, O., Chu, M., Cornea, A., Sampath, H., and Roberts, C.T., Jr. Cell-autonomous heterogeneity of nutrient uptake in white adipose tissue of rhesus macaques. Endocrinology 156:80-89 (2015).