Brian Park, MD, completed his residency in Diagnostic Radiology (T32 Research Track) and fellowship in Interventional Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is a graduate of the Healthcare Leadership in Quality Residency Track at Penn Medicine and serves as the Associate Director of Quality at the Dotter Department of Interventional Radiology. He performs ablations in the thyroid, liver, kidney, and lung. In addition to his clinical interests, he completed a fellowship in Imaging Informatics and is a Certified Imaging Informatics Professional. His primary research focuses on enhancing image-guided procedures with augmented and mixed reality technologies. He has received numerous awards and grants for his research, including from the SIR, SIO, CIRSE, ARRS, SIIM, and RSNA. He enjoys spending time with family, golfing, and playing tennis.
Education and training
- B.S., 2006, Swarthmore College
- M.S., 2007, Stanford University
- M.D., 2014, New York University
- Diagnostic Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2019
- Interventional Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2020
- American Board of Radiology IR/DR Certificate
- American Board of Imaging Informatics CIIP
Memberships and associations:
- North American Society for Interventional Thyroidology
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Interventional Radiology
- Society of Interventional Oncology
- Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine
Areas of interest
- Interventional Oncology
- Thyroid Ablation
Honors and awards
- SIR Resident Research Grant 2018
- SIIM 2018 Poster 2nd Place Scientific Award
- CIRSE 2018 Poster Cum Laude Educational Award
- ARRS 2019 Resident in Radiology Melissa Rosado de Christenson Award
- RSNA Roentgen Resident Research Award 2019
- RSNA Dr. Alexander Margulis Siemens Healthineers Fellow Research Grant 2019
- SIO 2020 Best Guidance & Targeting Scientific Abstract Award
- JVIR 2022 Peer’s Choice Award for Most Cited Article
PublicationsElsevier pure profile
- Park BJ, Shah S, Konik D, Lim JY, Huber T. An Ergonomic Holographic Procedural Monitor for Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation Using a Mixed-Reality Headset. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2023 Feb;34(2):307-310. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2022.10.027. Epub 2022 Oct 23. PMID: 36283593.
- Li N, Wakim J, Koethe Y, Huber T, Schenning R, Gade TP, Hunt SJ, Park BJ. Multicenter assessment of augmented reality registration methods for image-guided interventions. Radiol Med. 2022 Jun 23. doi: 10.1007/s11547-022-01515-3. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35737194.
- Huber TC, Bochnakova T, Koethe Y, Park B, Farsad K. Percutaneous Therapies for Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Evolution of Liver Directed Therapies. J Hepatocell Carcinoma. 2021 Sep 23;8:1181-1193. doi: 10.2147/JHC.S268300. PMID: 34589446; PMCID: PMC8476177.
- Buch VP, Mensah-Brown KG, Germi JW, Park BJ, Madsen PJ, Borja AJ, Haldar D, Basenfelder P, Yoon JW, Schuster JM, Chen HI. Development of an Intraoperative Pipeline for Holographic Mixed Reality Visualization During Spinal Fusion Surgery. Surg Innov. 2021 Aug;28(4):427-437. doi: 10.1177/1553350620984339. Epub 2020 Dec 31. PMID: 33382008; PMCID: PMC8243385.
- Weeks JK, Pakpoor J, Park BJ, Robinson NJ, Rubinstein NA, Prouty SM, Nachiappan AC. Harnessing Augmented Reality and CT to Teach First-Year Medical Students Head and Neck Anatomy. Acad Radiol. 2021 Jun;28(6):871-876. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2020.07.008. Epub 2020 Aug 20. PMID: 32828663; PMCID: PMC8011826.
- Park BJ, Hunt SJ, Nadolski GJ, Gade TP. Augmented reality improves procedural efficiency and reduces radiation dose for CT-guided lesion targeting: a phantom study using HoloLens 2. Sci Rep. 2020 Oct 29;10(1):18620. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-75676-4. PMID: 33122766; PMCID: PMC7596500.
- Park BJ, Perkons NR, Profka E, Johnson O, Morley C, Appel S, Nadolski GJ, Hunt SJ, Gade TP. Three-Dimensional Augmented Reality Visualization Informs Locoregional Therapy in a Translational Model of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2020 Oct;31(10):1612-1618.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2020.01.028. Epub 2020 Aug 18. PMID: 32826152; PMCID: PMC7541417.
- Park BJ, Hunt SJ, Martin C 3rd, Nadolski GJ, Wood BJ, Gade TP. Augmented and Mixed Reality: Technologies for Enhancing the Future of IR. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2020 Jul;31(7):1074-1082. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2019.09.020. Epub 2020 Feb 13. PMID: 32061520; PMCID: PMC7311237.
- Park BJ, Clark TWI. Neoureter Creation to Bypass Distal Ureter Obstruction into Neobladder Using Radiofrequency Guide-Wire Technique. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2020 Sep;31(9):1503-1505. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2020.04.012. Epub 2020 Aug 14. PMID: 32800665.