Access Services Student Assistant
The Oregon Health & Science University Library in Portland, Oregon, is seeking a student assistant to support the functions of Access Services department. This position is ideal for a library school or public health student interested in a career in public services, as the incumbent will receive valuable experience working at an academic medical library service desk.
- Staffing the service desk, including validating and updating patron records, issuing library cards, and answering and directing phone calls and patrons with walk-in questions
- Processing document delivery requests, including scanning documents and delivering them electronically
- Verifying citations, downloading and delivering electronic documents
- Assisting patrons with requesting material and using library resources
- Retrieving and processing library material from branch locations
- Shelving, shelf reading, and assisting in stacks maintenance, including shifting and moving of material
- Assisting with opening and closing of library, including retrieving material from book drops around campus, shutting down computer systems, and replenishing supplies
- Assisting with cleaning and tidying library computers, study rooms, and study tables
- Special projects which may involve scanning, basic metadata input, and other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (6 hours undergraduate, 4.5 hours graduate)
- Excellent customer service skills
- This position requires lifting and handling of objects 20-50 lbs.; pushing and maneuvering loaded book trucks, bending and stooping
Part-time; approximately 20 hours/week. Specific hours and days to be arranged.
$12.50/hour to start
Fill out an online application at https://www.ohsu.edu/human-resources and search for “library” or job category “student.”
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the OHSU Library. Volunteer opportunities at the Library are coordinated through the OHSU Office of Visitors and Volunteers. That office connects you as a potential volunteer to opportunities and guides you through the volunteer registration process. Learn about how to become a volunteer and see current opportunities available on their webpage . The Library does not have any volunteer opportunities listed at this time. If you would like to propose something, please contact us and let us know what you have in mind.