Get It For Me FAQ
- What is it?
OHSU Library's Get It For Me service is the combination of services also known as interlibrary loan and document delivery. The service allows users to request material either owned or not owned within the OHSU Library collection. Get It For Me is a service provided at no charge to OHSU credentialed users (faculty, residents, staff, emeritus and students). If you are a Non-OHSU user and are interested in requesting items through OHSU Library, please visit this page.
- How do I make a request?
Learn how to make a request here.
- How much does it cost?
Get It For Me service is provided at no cost to OHSU faculty, residents, staff, emeritus and students.
- How long does it take to receive items?
PDFs typically arrive within 1-3 business days. Physical items typically arrive within 1-3 weeks depending on availability.
- How do I ask for a rush service?
After submitting your request, please follow up with an email firstname.lastname@example.org or a phone call 503-494-3460 so that we can expedite it.
- Are there limitations or restrictions on what I can request?
We don’t generally limit what you can request from other libraries, but please use Summit Service if your request is for leisure/recreational materials. Please submit a request for what you need and we will let you know if we are able to obtain it.
- Where do my requested items come from?
Your requests are fulfilled either from our print collection and then scanned into PDFs, or from libraries around the world in the form of physical materials or electronic PDFs.
- How will my article arrive?
We provide all article requests as electronic PDFs. You will sign into your Get It For Me account and click on the link called 'incoming PDFs'. PDFs will remain 'live' in your account for approximately 30 days. After this time they will be deleted from our server and cannot be retrieved.
- I just received notification that a requested PDF is now available but when I click on ‘View Fulfilled Requests’ and find the corresponding transaction number, the text reads ‘File not found.’ What does this mean?
- ‘File not found’ means that the available PDF has not been fully uploaded to the local server. It does not mean that the requested item is not obtainable. Please wait up to 10 minutes for your PDF to fully upload to the server. If after this time your PDF is still unavailable, don’t hesitate to contact us.
- I am OHSU-credentialed but am not located in Portland:
- How do I make requests? Regardless of your location, you may use the Get It For Me service link to make requests.
- Can I borrow physical items? Yes. Physical materials, whether borrowed from other libraries or from the OHSU collection, are mailed free of charge. A prepaid return mailing label is also provided. Users are responsible for any items lost or damaged in the mail.
- I’m an alum of OHSU, do I get access to this free service?
As an alum, though you do not have access to this free service, OHSU Library offers other resource sharing services to our community users. We offer document delivery service to all Non-OHSU users. Current Oregon-licensed health providers, including MDs and DOs, may also be eligible for additional services.
- Can I request articles even though I am not part of the OHSU community?
OHSU offers a fee-based document delivery service for Non-OHSU users.
- How long is my requested PDF available for viewing?
Requested PDFs are available for 30 days from the date of posting; after that time they are no longer retrievable. Please download or save the PDF to your device prior to the 30 days.
- Where do I pick up incoming physical materials?
You will receive a notification email stating the location you specified in your request—either the BICC Library Service Desk or the RLSB Library Service Desk. If you selected the RLSB, please plan to pick up during staffed hours Monday-Friday 10 am – 3 pm and call ahead 503-346-4596 if your badge does not allow you to access the space. If you can’t visit either location, please contact us for options. Please be aware that users are responsible for any items lost or damaged in the mail.
- How long can I keep physical items?
Loan periods vary; see the green book strap on the front of your item for the due date. Typical checkout periods are 2-4 weeks with one 2-4 week renewal.
- Can I request an e-book?
We are unable to borrow e-books from other libraries due to licensing issues. If e-book is the only format available, use the Library’s suggest a purchase form and request that the item be added to the Library’s collection.
- What happens if I lose or damage a borrowed item?
If an item is damaged or lost while in your care (including returns by mail), you are responsible for any fines or replacement costs issued by the lending library.
- What is the status of my request?
Awaiting Copyright Clearance: request is awaiting internal system verification before being ordered.
Awaiting Request Processing: request has been verified but has not yet been ordered.
Request Sent: request has been sent to potential library lenders.
Delivered to Web: request has been fulfilled and is available as an electronic PDF within the user's Get It For Me account.
Request Finished: requested item has been fulfilled and is now complete (i.e. PDFs have expired from our server or physically loaned items have been returned to lending libraries).
Awaiting Special Handling: requested item is complex and OHSU Library staff is reviewing.
Checked Out to Customer: physical loan has arrived and available for pick up or has been mailed (distance students).
- Can I view old requests?
Request histories go back approximately one year.
- Do you have a question that we did not address?
Please contact us.