Glaucoma is a disease that causes loss of nerve tissue from the optic nerve, the cable that connects the eye to the brain. It is the second leading cause of blindness in the world, affecting over 4 million Americans, many of whom are undiagnosed. While vision loss from glaucoma is irreversible, it can often be prevented with early detection and appropriate treatment.
At OHSU Casey Eye Institute, we offer the region’s most advanced care for diagnosing, managing and treating all types of glaucoma, including:
- Expert surgeons on the cutting edge of finding, testing and including new treatments and tools into our patient care options.
- The latest technology for diagnosing and treating glaucoma, including laser procedures.
- Compassionate care and support services, including vision rehabilitation, occupational therapy, a support group and a dedicated social worker to help you and your loved ones adapt to vision changes and maintain a high quality of life.
- Innovative research and access to clinical trials to learn more about glaucoma, study new treatments and offer our patients the most advanced options.
At Casey, our surgeons give you the expertise and experience to ensure you receive the best treatment options for your glaucoma. We offer:
- A team of board-certified and fellowship trained doctors
- Experience caring for patients with all types of glaucoma, from mild primary open angle glaucoma to the most challenging problems, such as: pediatric glaucoma, rare syndromes, secondary glaucomas, or those who have failed primary glaucoma surgery.
- Doctors who are leaders in the field of glaucoma and who are invited to travel around the world to share and teach the latest in glaucoma research and treatment.
- Two pediatric glaucoma subspecialists with experience in the medical and surgical care of congenital and childhood glaucomas. Our Childhood Glaucoma Center is the only center in the Pacific Northwest, receiving referrals from more than five states.
Our surgeons, specialists, nurses and others work together to coordinate your care.
- Our glaucoma experts work together with other eye specialists, including our cornea, retina, pediatric and uveitis doctors to medically and surgically care for patients with challenging conditions.
- For complex cases, we are one of the only centers in Oregon where eye specialists can work together in the operating room to give you the best vision possible.
The latest technology for your care
Our doctors use the most advanced technology available today to assess your eyes and treat your glaucoma, including:
- The latest imaging technology, including swept source optical coherence tomography (OCT) and angiography to take clearer pictures of the parts of your eye.
- Minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries in addition to traditional glaucoma surgeries, which can reduce the chance of complications from surgery and recovery time.
- Our state-of-the-art operating facility, which is equipped with the latest technology and dedicated ophthalmic nursing and anesthesiology staff.
Research and innovation
Extensive research: Our doctors and researchers are dedicated to the understanding, diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma. The Glaucoma Center of Excellence at OHSU participates in clinical trials and basic research to improve the diagnosis, treatment and care of glaucoma, and regularly publishes studies. Learn more.
Clinical Trials: Casey’s glaucoma team has many clinical trials underway. Casey scientists and doctors seek to better understand the course of glaucomatous progression and how to stop it through advanced non-invasive imaging techniques. Learn more about opportunities to participate in our many ongoing clinical trials.