Elizabeth Fialkowski, M.D.
Title: Associate Professor of Surgery
Research Focus: Pediatric surgery outcomes research and translational research including oncology
Raphael Sun, M.D.
Title: Assistant Professor of Surgery
Research Focus: I am interested in the study of fetal surgery (twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, neural tube defects, EXITs, and open fetal resections) and pediatric surgery diseases related to fetal surgery including congenital diaphragmatic hernia, congenital lung lesions, omphaloceles, and sacrococcygeal teratomas.
- Health disparities in prenatal care and its effect on postnatal neonatal outcomes
- Congenital lung lesion prenatal ultrasound, diagnosis and management
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Sun RC, Hessami K, Krispin E, Pammi M, Mostafaei S, Joyeux L, Deprest J, Keswani S, Lee TC, King A, Belfort MA, Shamshirsaz AA. Prenatal ultrasonographic markers for prediction of complex gastroschisis and adverse perinatal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2022 Jul;107(4):371-379.
- Espinoza J, Shamshirsaz AA, Sanz Cortes M, Pammi M, Nassr AA, Donepudi R, Whitehead WE, Castillo J, Johnson R, Meshinchi N, Sun R, Krispin E, Corroenne R, Lee TC, Keswani SG, King A, Belfort MA. Two-port, exteriorized uterus, fetoscopic meningomyelocele closure has fewer adverse neonatal outcomes than open hysterotomy closure. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Sep;225(3):327.e1-327.e9.
- Mehl SC, Short WD, Kinley A, Lee TC, Sun RC, Belfort MA, Shamshirsaz AA, Espinoza J, Donepudi R, Sanz-Cortes M, Nassr AA, Mehollin-Ray AR, Keswani SG, King A. Delivery planning for congenital lung malformations: A CVR based perinatal care algorithm. J Pediatr Surg. 2022 May;57(5):833-839.
- Sun RC, Cheng LS, Shah RH, Lohmann P, Cortes-Santiago N, Ketwaroo PD, Keswani SG, King A, Lee TC. Case Report: The Medical and Surgical Management of an Infant With Extreme Prematurity and Fetus-In-Fetu. Front Surg. 2022 Mar 4;9:856837.
- Mehl SC, Short WD, Flanagan MM, Keswani SG, Lee TC, Sun RC, Vogel AM, Austin PF, King A. Correlation of continence with long-term patient centered outcomes in children with sacrococcygeal teratoma. J Pediatr Surg. 2022 May;57(5):871-876.
Rachel Wilson, P.A.-C., M.S.
Title: Instructor of Surgery
Research Focus: I aim to contribute to ongoing Pediatric Surgery research in order to gain a better understanding, improved or standardized care across various surgical and disease processes.
- Minimizing variance in pediatric surgery - various studies to standardize different aspects of care
- VTE prophylaxis - looking at utility of screening duplex US in pediatric surgery patients
- Various multi-institutional studies
- Wilson RE, Rao PK, Cunningham AJ, Dewey EN, Krishnaswami S, Hamilton NA. A Natural History of Gastrojejunostomy Tubes in Children. J Surg Res. 2020 Jan;245:461-466.
- Sunstrom R, Hamilton N, Fialkowski E, Lofberg K, McKee J, Sims T, Krishnaswami S, Azarow K. Minimizing variance in pediatric gastrostomy: does standardized perioperative feeding plan decrease cost and improve outcomes? Am J Surg. 2016 May;211(5):948-53.
- Tobias J, Saunders L, Wilson R, Vu K, Spurrier R, Fialkowski E. A novel gastrografin challenge protocol in pediatric adhesive small bowel obstruction. North Pacific Surgical Association, virtual conference, Sept 2020.
- Tobias J, Labuz DF, Cunningham A, Dixon A, Selesner L, Moss L, Dewey E, Haley KM, Burns E, Schreiber M, Wilson R, Hamilton NA, Jafri MA. Venous thromboembolic screening in pediatric trauma: A prospective cohort study of risk-stratified ultrasonography. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2023 Jan 1;94(1):107-112.