Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine is committed to creating an environment where diversity thrives among its faculty, staff, and learners. Diversity is one of the six core goals of the OHSU strategic plan. The institution is committed to cultivating a climate of inclusion and respect for every individual in the OHSU community, and to fostering a culturally proficient, inclusive, and diverse workforce. Within the department, diversity is also a focus of our mission.
The APOM Diversity Action Team was established in 2016, and charged with the continuous implementation and evaluation of the department’s Diversity Action Plan. In 2020, this team pivoted to serve as members of a task force charged with making recommendations to department leadership on how to take steps toward becoming an actively anti-racist community. In 2022, APOM established a Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion physician leadership role to oversee and advance this critical work.
Also in 2022, APOM’s residency program established a Diversity Council focused on mentorship and community-building among department members from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds, toward the goals of recruitment and retention. The Council is led by residents Drs. Dayle Hodge, Christian Aquino, and Keano Pavlosky and faculty member Dr. Tomas Lazo.
Selected departmental DEI published work:
1. Drs. Togioka (OHSU), Duvivier (OHSU), and Young (Marian Univ). Diversity and Discrimination in Healthcare. 2022.
2. Drs. Togioka (OHSU), Seligman (Univ British Columbia), and Delgado (Univ Washington). Limited English proficiency in the labor and delivery unit. 2022.
3. Drs. Togioka (OHSU, Seligman (Univ British Columbia), Werntz (OHSU), Yanez (OHSU), Noles (OHSU), Treggiari (OHSU). Education program regarding labor epidurals increases utilization by Hispanic Medicaid beneficiaries. A randomized controlled trial. 2019.
- OHSU Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI)
- Respect for All guide
- How to Respond to a Request for, or Refusal of, Health Care Professionals with Specific Characteristics (and associated policy)
- Reporting Discrimination
- Anti-Racism Educational Resources
- School of Medicine Statement of Commitment to Diversity and Equity