Dr. Korthuis is a practicing general internist, addiction medicine provider, and clinician scientist. He began his clinical career treating patients living with HIV and became board-certified in addiction medicine in 2010. His research focuses on improving integration of addiction treatment in diverse health care settings, including HIV clinics. He serves as Principal Investigator for two international trials funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse: The CTN-0055/0067 CHOICES trial of clinic-based extended-release naltrexone in North American HIV clinics, and the BRAVO trial of clinic-based buprenorphine for opioid use disorder in Vietnam HIV clinics. He is co-investigator in the National Institute of Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network Western States Node, collaborating in clinical trials of opioid, methamphetamine, and cocaine treatment. Honors include the 2008 Lawrence S. Linn Award for research that improves the lives of people living with HIV and a 2012-2013 Fulbright Scholar award to study integration of HIV and addiction care in Vietnam. Dr. Korthuis serves as Program Director for the OHSU Addiction Medicine Fellowship and Co-Director of the Oregon Addiction Education and Prevention Initiative that provides training and support for rural primary care providers in pharmacotherapy for substance use disorders.
- M.P.H., University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles California 0
- M.D., University of Health Sciences, Chicago Medical School, Chicago Illinois 0 1997
- Internal medicine, Yale University School of Medicine
- Health services research, VA Ambulatory Care/UCLA Fellowship
- Internal medicine
Memberships and associations
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- "The SUMMIT ambulatory-ICU primary care model for medically and socially complex patients in an urban federally qualified health center : study design and rationale." Addiction science & clinical practice In: , Vol. 13, No. 1, 14.12.2018.
- "Three integrated elements of empowerment : HIV prevention with Sub-Saharan African adolescent females involved in transactional sex." Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology In: , Vol. 6, No. 4, 01.12.2018, p. 355-363.
- "A preliminary randomized clinical trial of naltrexone reduces striatal resting state functional connectivity in people with methamphetamine use disorder." Drug and Alcohol Dependence In: , Vol. 192, 01.11.2018, p. 186-192.
- "Integrating treatment at the intersection of opioid use disorder and infectious disease epidemics in medical settings : A call for action after a national Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Workshop." Annals of internal medicine In: , Vol. 169, No. 5, 04.09.2018, p. 335-336.
- "Implementing Treatment of Opioid-Use Disorder in Rural Settings : a Focus on HIV and Hepatitis C Prevention and Treatment." Current HIV/AIDS Reports In: , 09.06.2018, p. 1-9.
- "Lessons learned from the implementation of a medically enhanced residential treatment (MERT) model integrating intravenous antibiotics and residential addiction treatment." Substance Abuse In: , Vol. 39, No. 2, 03.04.2018, p. 225-232.
- "Treatment and Prevention of Opioid Use Disorder : Challenges and Opportunities." Annual Review of Public Health In: , Vol. 39, 01.04.2018, p. 525-541.
- "A statewide effort to reduce high-dose opioid prescribing through coordinated care organizations." Addictive Behaviors In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Uptake and virological outcomes of single- versus multi-tablet antiretroviral regimens among treatment-naïve youth in the HIV Research Network." HIV Medicine In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Management of suspected opioid overdose with naloxone in out-of-hospital settings." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 167, No. 12, 19.12.2017, p. 867-875.
- "Gonorrhea and Chlamydia Case Detection Increased When Testing Increased in a Multisite US HIV Cohort, 2004-2014." Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999) In: , Vol. 76, No. 4, 01.12.2017, p. 409-416.
- "Integrase strand transfer inhibitor-associated diabetes mellitus : A case report." International Journal of STD and AIDS In: , Vol. 28, No. 6, 01.05.2017, p. 626-628.
- "Planning and designing the improving addiction care team (IMPACT) for hospitalized adults with substance use disorder." Journal of Hospital Medicine In: , Vol. 12, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. 339-342.
- "“It’s been an Experience, a Life Learning Experience” : A Qualitative Study of Hospitalized Patients with Substance Use Disorders." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 32, No. 3, 01.03.2017, p. 296-303.
- "Primary care-based models for the treatment of opioid use disorder : A scoping review." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 166, No. 4, 21.02.2017, p. 268-278.
- "Comparing longitudinal CD4 responses to cART among non-perinatally HIV-infected youth versus adults : Results from the HIVRN Cohort." PLoS One In: , Vol. 12, No. 2, e0171125, 01.02.2017.
- "Feasibility and safety of extended-release naltrexone treatment of opioid and alcohol use disorder in HIV clinics : A pilot/feasibility randomized trial." Addiction In: , 2017.
- "HIV patients' preference for integrated models of addiction and HIV treatment in Vietnam." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment In: , Vol. 69, 01.10.2016, p. 57-63.
- "How does decision complexity affect shared decision making? An analysis of patient-provider antiretroviral initiation dialogue." Patient Education and Counseling In: , 23.09.2016.
- "Buprenorphine + naloxone plus naltrexone for the treatment of cocaine dependence : The Cocaine Use Reduction with Buprenorphine (CURB) study." Addiction In: , Vol. 111, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 1416-1427.
- "Healthcare Coverage for HIV Provider Visits before and after Implementation of the Affordable Care Act." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 63, No. 3, 01.08.2016, p. 387-395.
- "Assessing Problematic Substance Use in HIV Care : Which Questions Elicit Accurate Patient Disclosures?" Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , 19.05.2016, p. 1-7.
- "A delayed injection-site reaction in a patient receiving extended-release naltrexone." Substance Abuse In: , Vol. 37, No. 2, 02.04.2016, p. 278-280.
- "Respecting patients is associated with more patient-centered communication behaviors in clinical encounters." Patient Education and Counseling In: , Vol. 99, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 250-255.
- "Clinician empathy is associated with differences in patient-clinician communication behaviors and higher medication self-efficacy in HIV care." Patient Education and Counseling In: , Vol. 99, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 220-226.
- "Quality of HIV Care and Mortality Rates in HIV-Infected Patients." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 62, No. 2, 15.01.2016, p. 233-239.
- "Which Clinician Questions Elicit Accurate Disclosure of Antiretroviral Non-adherence When Talking to Patients?" AIDS and Behavior In: , 26.10.2015.
- "Cumulative incidence of cancer among persons with HIV in North America : A cohort study." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 163, No. 7, 06.10.2015, p. 507-518.
- "Cumulative Incidence of Cancer Among Persons With HIV in North America : A Cohort Study." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 163, No. 7, 06.10.2015, p. 507-518.
- "Impact of a brief patient and provider intervention to improve the quality of communication about medication adherence among HIV patients." Patient Education and Counseling In: , Vol. 98, No. 9, 01.09.2015, p. 1078-1083.