Thomas Becker is a medical epidemiologist who has focused most of his career on minority health and improvement of health status of specific minority populations, including American Indians and Hispanics. Trained in internal medicine, anthropology, and public health, he began his career at the University of New Mexico before moving to the Northwest about 20 years ago.
Since his arrival in Portland, Becker has collaborated closely with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. He has published on a diverse range of American Indian health issues, including both infectious and chronic diseases. And with the Indian Health Board, he has been involved in etiologic studies, community prevention programs and education programs to improve career opportunities for people in tribes nationwide.Read more
Areas of interest
- Minority Health
- American Indian health issues
- M.A., University of New Mexico 1976
- M.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine 1977
- Ph.D., University of New Mexico 1986
- Medicine, University of Washington, Preventive Medicine, U.S. Centers for Disease Control, 1986
- Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1985
Memberships and associations
- American Public Health Association
- American College of Preventive Medicine
- Society for Applied Anthropology
- Western Society for Clinical Investigation
- American Anthropological Association
- Society for Medical Anthropology
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- School of American Research
- Association of Prevention Teaching and Research
- "Open versus robot-assisted radical cystectomy : 30-day perioperative comparison and predictors for cost-to-patient, complication, and readmission." Journal of Robotic Surgery In: , 08.06.2018, p. 1-12.
- "Hearing-Related Health Among Adult American Indians From a Pacific Northwest Tribe." American Journal of Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 52, No. 3, 01.03.2017, p. S258-S262.
- "Program Sustainability : Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Prevention in American Indian Communities." American Journal of Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 52, No. 3, 01.03.2017, p. S268-S270.
- "Long-term comparative effectiveness of telemedicine in providing diabetic retinopathy screening examinations : A randomized clinical trial." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 133, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 518-525.
- "Accomplishments of a training support program for American Indian and Alaska native health researchers." American Indian Culture and Research Journal In: , Vol. 39, No. 1, 2015, p. 83-94.
- "Conceptualization of autism in the latino community and its relationship with early diagnosis." Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics In: , Vol. 35, No. 8, 10.10.2014, p. 522-533.
- "Predicting adherence to diabetic eye examinations : Development of the compliance with annual diabetic eye exams survey." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 121, No. 6, 2014, p. 1212-1219.
- "Colorectal cancer screening among American Indians in a Pacific Northwest tribe : Cowlitz tribal BRFSS project, 2009-2010." Public Health Reports In: , Vol. 129, No. 3, 2014, p. 280-288.
- "Latino parents' perspectives on barriers to autism diagnosis." Academic Pediatrics In: , Vol. 14, No. 3, 2014, p. 301-308.
- "Leading causes of death and all-cause mortality in American Indians and Alaska Natives." American Journal of Public Health In: , Vol. 104, No. SUPPL. 3, 2014.
- "Cervical cancer incidence and mortality among American Indian and Alaska native women, 1999û2009." American Journal of Public Health In: , Vol. 104, No. SUPPL. 3, 2014.
- "Comparing the effectiveness of telemedicine and traditional surveillance in providing diabetic retinopathy screening examinations : A randomized controlled trial." Telemedicine and e-Health In: , Vol. 19, No. 12, 01.12.2013, p. 942-948.
- "Comparing the effectiveness of telemedicine and traditional surveillance in providing diabetic retinopathy screening examinations : a randomized controlled trial." Telemedicine journal and e-health : the official journal of the American Telemedicine Association In: , Vol. 19, No. 12, 01.12.2013, p. 942-948.
- "The impact of eyeglasses on vision-related quality of life in American Indian/Alaska natives." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 151, No. 1, 01.2011.
- "Using multiple media outlets to enhance a community based noiseinduced hearing loss prevention program." Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics. Vol. 33 1 PART 3. ed. 2011. p. 111-113.
- "The TOTS community intervention to prevent overweight in American Indian toddlers beginning at birth : A feasibility and efficacy study." Journal of Community Health In: , Vol. 35, No. 6, 12.2010, p. 667-675.
- "Physician consultation, multidisciplinary care, and 1-year mortality in medicare recipients hospitalized with hip and lower extremity injuries." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , Vol. 58, No. 10, 10.2010, p. 1835-1842.
- "Dental caries in American Indian toddlers after a community-based beverage intervention." Ethnicity and Disease In: , Vol. 20, No. 4, 09.2010, p. 444-450.
- "Including self-reported race to improve cancer surveillance data for American Indians and Alaska Natives in Washington state." Journal of registry management In: , Vol. 37, No. 2, 06.2010, p. 43-48.
- "A program evaluation of a summer research training institute for american indian and alaska native health professionals." American Indian Culture and Research Journal In: , Vol. 34, No. 3, 2010, p. 93-106.
- "The effect of visual impairment on vision-related quality of life in American Indian/Alaska Natives." Ophthalmic Epidemiology In: , Vol. 16, No. 2, 04.2009, p. 128-135.
- "Central Corneal Thickness in Northwestern American Indians/Alaskan Natives and Comparison with White and African-American Persons." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 146, No. 5, 11.2008.
- "Methods for improving cancer surveillance data in American Indian and Alaska Native populations." Cancer In: , Vol. 113, No. 5 SUPPL., 01.09.2008, p. 1120-1130.
- "Regional differences in cervical cancer incidence among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999-2004." Cancer In: , Vol. 113, No. 5 SUPPL., 01.09.2008, p. 1234-1243.
- "Barriers to innovation in continuing medical education." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 28, No. 3, 06.2008, p. 148-156.
- "Determining the cost of tuberculosis case management in a low-incidence state." International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease In: , Vol. 12, No. 3, 03.2008, p. 301-307.
- "Awareness of and participation in maintenance of professional certification : A prospective study." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 27, No. 3, 06.2007, p. 164-172.
- "Cardiovascular events following renal transplantation : Role of traditional and transplant-specific risk factors." Kidney International In: , Vol. 70, No. 4, 28.08.2006, p. 757-764.
- "HLA alleles and risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia among Southwestern American Indian Women." Human Immunology In: , Vol. 66, No. 10, 10.2005, p. 1050-1056.
- "Predictors of glucose control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus." Pediatric Diabetes In: , Vol. 6, No. 2, 06.2005, p. 69-74.