Dr. Steven D. Hokett is a 1983 graduate of the University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School at San Antonio where he received a D. D. S. degree. He received a certificate in Periodontics at Fort Gordon, Georgia in conjunction with the Medical College of Georgia in 1991. Additional assignments include tours at Nürnberg, Germany, Fort Hood, Texas, Fort Polk, Louisiana, and Fort Bragg, North Carolina. He served as the Assistant Director and Director of the U.S. Army Periodontic Residency at Fort Gordon, Georgia from 1997 – 2003 whereupon he retired from active duty in the U.S. Army Dental Corps. He is a Diplomate and Examiner of the American Board of Periodontology and holds the U.S. Army Surgeon General’s “A” Proficiency Designator. He is currently a Periodontist in Vancouver, Washington and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontology at the Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Dentistry.
- D.D.S., University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School, San Antonio Texas United States 1983
- M.C.R., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon United States 2009
- General Dentistry Residency, One Year at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 1984
- US Army Medical Department Officers' Advanced Course, 1988 (Honor graduate)
- US Army Combined Arms and Services Staff School, 1989
- Periodontics Residency, Fort Gordon, Georgia, 1991
- US Army Command & General Staff College, 1992 (Honor graduate)
Honors and awards
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, 1983
- Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry, 1988
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology, 1994
- Examiner, American Board of Periodontology, 2012 - present
- Reviewer for the Journal of Periodontology (2007 – present/ 5 manuscripts reviewed)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants (2007 – present/ 10 manuscripts reviewed)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2010 – present/ 3 manuscripts reviewed)
- Reviewer for the Journal of the American Dental Association (2012 – present/ 2 manuscripts reviewed)
- Reviewer for the Clinical Advances in Periodontics (2012 – present/ 7 manuscripts reviewed)
- Army Legion of Merit, 2003 (and retirement from active duty)
- Colonel, U.S. Army, 2001
- Army Surgeon General’s “A” Designator Prefix, 1999
- Order of Military Medical Merit, 1997
- Army Meritorious Service Medal
- Army Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
- Army Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon
- Expert Field Medical Badge
- German Sports Badge in Bronze, Silver and Gold
- Army Fitness Excellence Badge, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
Memberships and associations
- American Dental Association, 1983 - present
- American Academy of Periodontology, 1989-present
- American Board of Periodontology, 1994-present (Examiner 2012)
- Academy of Osseointegration, 2006 - 2012
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, National Dental Honor Society
- Washington State Dental Association
- Clark County Dental Association (Secretary 2008-09; President-elect 2009-10; President 2010-11)
- Washington State Dental Association House of Delegates (Clark County Representative – 2011 – 2013)
Madison III JG, Hokett SD: “The effects of different tetracyclines on the dentin root surface of instrumented, periodontally involved human teeth: a comparative scanning electron microscope study.” Journal of Periodontology, August 1997:68(8): 739-45.
Hokett SD, Honey JR, Ruiz F, Baisden MK, Hoen MF: “Assessing the Effectiveness of Direct Digital Radiography Barrier Sheaths and Finger Cots”. Journal of the American Dental Association, April 2000, 131, pp. 463-467.
Hokett SD, Cuenin MF, O’Neal RB, Strong SL, Runner RR, McPherson JC III, VanDyke TE: “The effect of Pluronic polyols on attachment and growth of human gingival fibroblasts.” Journal of Periodontology, May 2000: 71:5, pp. 803-809.
Fowler EB, Cuenin, MF, Hokett SD, Peacock ME, McPherson JC III, Dirksen TR, Sharawy M, Billman MA: “Evaluation of Pluronic polyol as carriers for grafting materials: A study in rat calvarial defects” Journal of Periodontology, February 2002, 73:2, p. 191-197.
Herold RW, Pashley DH, Cuenin MF, Niagro F, Hokett SD, Peacock ME, Mailhot J, Borke J: “The effects of varying degrees of allograft decalcification on cultured porcine osteoclasts” Journal of Periodontology, February 2002, 73:2, p. 213-219.
Hokett SD, Peacock ME, Burns WT, Swiec, GD, Cuenin MF: “External root resorption following partial thickness connective tissue graft placement” Journal of Periodontology, March 2002, 73:3, p. 334-339.
Francis PO, McPherson JC, Cuenin MF, Hokett SD, Peacock ME, Billman MA, Sharawy M.: “Evaluation of a novel alloplast for osseous regeneration in the rat calvarial model”. Journal of Periodontology, July 2003, 74:7, pp. 1023-1031.
Henemyre CL, Scales DK, Hokett SD, Cuenin MF, Peacock ME, Parker MH, Brewer P, Chuang AH: “Nicotine stimulates osteoclast resorption in a porcine marrow cell model.” Journal of Periodontology, October 2003, 74:10, pp.1440-1446
Matzenbacher SA, Mailhot JM, McPherson JC, Cuenin MF, Hokett SD, Sharawy M, Peacock ME: “In vivo effectiveness of a glycerol-compounded demineralized freeze-dried bone xenograft in the rat calvarium”. Journal of Periodontology, November 2003, 74:11, pp.1641-1646.
Turonis JW, McPhereson JC, Cuenin MF, Hokett SD, Peacock ME, Sharawy M The effect of residual calcium in decalcified freeze-dried bone allograft in a critical-sized defect in the Rattus Norvegicus calvarium , Journal of Oral Implantology:April 2006, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 55–62.