Dr. Robert Martindale joined OHSU in May 2005. He is currently Professor of Surgery and the Chief of the Division of General Surgery. He also serves as the Medical Director for Hospital Nutrition Services. He is board certified in General Surgery with special clinical interest in abdominal wall reconstruction and surgical nutrition and metabolism.
Dr. Martindale completed his medical training at George Washington University in Washington DC and his surgical residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. He obtained his PhD in Nutrition at UCLA, in the laboratories of Drs. Morton Grossman, Tachi Yamada, and Seymour Levin at the Center for Ulcer Research and Education.
Upon completion of his military obligation, Dr. Martindale joined the faculty at the Medical College of Georgia, where he held many distinguished positions, including Chief of the General Surgery Service at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia, Director of Nutrition Support Service at the Medical College of Georgia, and Chief of the Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery at the Medical College of Georgia. While at the Medical College of Georgia, Dr. Martindale also served as the Surgical Residency Program Director.
Dr. Martindale’s primary focus throughout his professional career has been in surgical education and patient care in surgery and nutrition. He has won numerous teaching awards and continues to publish and mentor young physicians and investigators. In addition to being the co-editor of a textbook dealing with surgical and critical care nutrition, he is the author of well over 200 publications, including peer reviewed articles, review articles, chapters, and several medical educational videos.
Dr. Martindale is on numerous professional committees on local, national, and international levels. He is on the editorial board for several surgical and nutritional journals, as well as serving as an editorial reviewer for over 15 peer reviewed journals. He routinely is invited to give lectures not only nationally, but internationally.
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles California 1982
- M.D., George Washington University, Washington, DC 1984
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA, 1984-1989
- American Board of Surgery, 1990; recertification, 2000, 2010
Memberships and associations
- American Surgical Association
- "Why do current strategies for optimal nutritional therapy neglect the microbiome?" Nutrition In: , Vol. 60, 01.04.2019, p. 100-105.
- "Probiotics in prevention of surgical site infections." Surgical Infections In: , Vol. 19, No. 8, 01.11.2018, p. 831-835.
- "Can Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators Deliver Benefit Originally Expected from Fish Oil?" Current Gastroenterology Reports In: , Vol. 20, No. 9, 40, 01.09.2018.
- "From Religion to Secularism : the Benefits of Fasting." Current Nutrition Reports In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 01.09.2018, p. 131-138.
- "Travel distance influences readmissions in colorectal cancer patients—what the primary operative team needs to know." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 227, 01.07.2018, p. 220-227.
- "Immunonutrition in Critical Illness : What Is the Role?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 33, No. 3, 01.06.2018, p. 348-358.
- "Sarcopenia and outcomes in ventral hernia repair : a preliminary review." Hernia In: , 11.05.2018, p. 1-8.
- "Controversies Surrounding Critical Care Nutrition : An Appraisal of Permissive Underfeeding, Protein, and Outcomes." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 42, No. 3, 01.03.2018, p. 508-515.
- "Tempering the clinical effects of early myeloid-derived suppressor cell expansion in severe sepsis and septic shock." American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine In: , Vol. 197, No. 5, 01.03.2018, p. 677-678.
- "Proceedings of the 2017 ASPEN Research Workshop—Gastric Bypass : Role of the Gut." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 42, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 279-295.
- "The 2016 ESPEN Arvid Wretlind lecture : The gut in stress." Clinical Nutrition In: , Vol. 37, No. 1, 01.02.2018, p. 19-36.
- "Nutrition therapy for critically ill patients across the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions : A consensus statement." Clinical Nutrition ESPEN In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Institutional review of the implementation and use of a Clostridium difficile infection bundle and probiotics in adult trauma patients." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Enteral nutrition support." Fischer's Mastery of Surgery, Seventh Edition. Vol. 1 Wolters Kluwer Health Adis (ESP), 2018. p. 54-67.
- "Unraveling Methodology to Ensure the Search for Optimal Nutrition Quantity in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Remains INTACT." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Eficácia da fórmula enteral pobre em resíduo versus dieta líquida clara durante o preparo intestinal para colonoscopia : um estudo piloto controlado e randomizado." Journal of Coloproctology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Hypoalbuminemia and clinical outcomes : What is the mechanism behind the relationship?" American Surgeon In: , Vol. 83, No. 11, 01.11.2017, p. 1220-1227.
- "Emergence of Mixed-Oil Fat Emulsions for Use in Parenteral Nutrition." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 41, No. 1_Suppl, 01.11.2017, p. 3S-13S.
- "Composite Intravenous Fat Emulsion in a Postsurgical Critically Ill Patient : A Case Report." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 41, No. 1_Suppl, 01.11.2017, p. 14S-16S.
- "Prospective evaluation of poly-4-hydroxybutyrate mesh in CDC class I/high-risk ventral and incisional hernia repair : 18-month follow-up." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , 23.10.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Critical Care Nutrition Support Best Practices : Key Differences between Canadian and American Guidelines." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 5, 01.10.2017, p. 633-644.
- "Micronutrient Deficiencies after Bariatric Surgery : An Emphasis on Vitamins and Trace Minerals." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 4, 01.08.2017, p. 471-480.
- "Understanding and Resetting Radiation Sensitivity in Rectal Cancer." Annals of Surgery In: , 24.07.2017.
- "The intensive care medicine research agenda in nutrition and metabolism." Intensive Care Medicine In: , 03.04.2017, p. 1-18.
- "Critical Care Nutrition : Where's the Evidence?" Critical Care Clinics In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 397-412.
- "Protein Kinetics and Metabolic Effects Related to Disease States in the Intensive Care Unit." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 21S-29S.
- "How Much and What Type of Protein Should a Critically Ill Patient Receive?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 6S-14S.
- "Nutrition Support for Persistent Inflammation, Immunosuppression, and Catabolism Syndrome." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 121S-127S.
- "Summary Points and Consensus Recommendations from the International Protein Summit." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 142S-151S.
- "Acquired Amino Acid Deficiencies : A Focus on Arginine and Glutamine." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 30S-47S.