Dr. Phelps specializes in assessing and caring for children and youth with developmental disabilities and behavioral problems. Dr. Phelps enjoys working with an interdisciplinary team at the Child Development and Rehabilitation Center to provide comprehensive developmental services.
In his spare time, Dr. Phelps enjoys spending time with his wife and twin boys, hiking, biking, swimming, and reading.Read more
Areas of interest
- Functional Assessment/ International Classification of Functioning
- Transition planning for youth with disabilities.
- Down syndrome/ Genetic syndromes/ Intellectual Disability
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Early Childhood Behavioral Health/ Trauma-related behavioral disorders
- Effect of prenatal toxic exposures on neurodevelopment
- M.D., Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle Washington United States 2001
- Pediatrics, University of Michigan, 2002
- Pediatrics, University of Michigan, 2004.
- Developmental and behavioral pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh, 2007.
- American Board of Pediatrics, general pediatrics, 2004
Honors and awards
- 2. Lisl Waechter Award, by the ARC of Lane County, in recognition of outstanding service and dedication to people with developmental disabilities in Lane County, by the Arc of Lane County, November 2011.
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Society of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
Randall A. Phelps, Debra Eisert, Susan Schulz, and Marilyn Augustyn. Challenging Case: Attached to a Diagnosis--The Quandary of Social Deficits and Reactive Attachment Disorder. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 33(1):84-86, 2012. ?
Randall A. Phelps, Joseph D. Pinter, Donald J. Lollar, EdD, Joan Guthrie Medlen, MEd, RD, LD, Christina D. Bethell, PhD, MPH, MBA. Healthcare Needs of Children with Down Syndrome and Impact of Health System Performance on Children and Their Families. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 33(3), 2012.
Charity Rowland, Melanie Fried-Oken, Sandra A. M. Steiner, Donald Lollar , Randall Phelps , Rune J Simeonson, Mats Granlund. Developing the ICF-CY for AAC Profile and Code Set for Children Who Rely on AAC. Augmentative and Alternative Communication 28(1): 21-32, 2012.
Randall A. Phelps, Robert E Nickel, Debra Eisert, and Martin Stein. Challenging Case: Parental influence on a child's autistic traits. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 34 (9): 730-732, 2013.
Rowland, C., Fried-Oken, M., Bowser, G., Granlund, M., Lollar, D., Phelps, R., Simeonsson, R., & Steiner, SAM. Using the ICF-CY to develop the Communication Supports Inventory-Children & Youth. Disability and Rehabilitation 38(19): 1909-1917, 2016.
Randall Phelps and Jason Fogler, Eds. Trauma, Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorder: Integrating Research, Practice, and Policy, Springer 2018
Randall Phelps and Heidi Feldman, "Children with Disabilites: Medical Perspectives", in: Shweder, Richard A., Thomas R. Bidell, Anne C. Dailey, Suzanne D. Dixon, Peggy J. Miller, and John Modell, eds. THE CHILD: AN ENCYCLOPEDIC COMPANION. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2009.
Randall Phelps and Heidi Feldman, "The Laying on of Hands: The Role of the Physical Examination in the Developmental Evaluation", in Carey, William B., Crocker, Allen C., Coleman, William L., Elias, Ellen Roy, and Feldman, Heidi M., eds., Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 4th Edition; Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2009.
Donald Lollar, Randall Phelps, "Health is More than Medicine", in Rubin and Crocker 3rd Edition: Health Care for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Across the Lifespan, edited by I Leslie Rubin, Joav Merrick, Donald E Greydanus and Dilip R Patel, Dordrecht: Springer, 2016.
Randall Phelps, "Intellectual Disability", In: Thomas K. McInerny, MD, FAAP; Henry M. Adam, MD, FAAP; Deborah E. Campbell, MD, FAAP; Thomas G. DeWitt, MD, FAAP; Jane Meschan Foy, MD, FAAP; Deepak M. Kamat, MD, PhD, American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook of Pediatric Care 2nd Ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2016.