Patricia A. Carney, Ph.D. is Professor of Family Medicine with the School of Medicine, and Professor of Health Systems and Policy with the School of Public Health. Her doctoral training includes two specialty areas: health services research (public health and community medicine) and educational psychology. Dr. Carney’s research has been funded by the National Cancer Institute, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the U.S. Department of Defense and the American Cancer Society.
Dr. Carney is currently studying how best to improve human papilloma virus vaccines in rural primary care settings. She is also principal investigator or co-investigator of several educational research studies in undergraduate and graduate medical education, including the Length of Training Study in Family Medicine.
Dr. Carney's work public health work has focused on cancer control, including breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening or risk reduction. She has also studied undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education. She has published more than 280 peer reviewed research articles on these topics over the past 26 years.
Education and training
- M.S., 1989, University of New Hampshire
- Ph.D., 1994, University of Washington
Memberships and associations:
- American Association of Preventive OncologySociety of Teachers of Family MedicineNorth American Primary Care Research Group
- Editorial Board Member: Family Medicine
- American Educational Research Assocation
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Society for Teachers of Family Medicine
- North American Primary Care Research Group
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators
Honors and awards
- 2015, 2016 Academic Medicine - Excellence in Reviewing Award
- 2013 Herbert M. Stauffer Award for Best Clinical Paper in Academic Radiology
- 2012 Editor's Choice, Clinical Practice Category, JACR for Radiologist Agreement for Mammographic Recall by Case Difficulty and Finding Type
- 2011-2012 Bishop Fellow/American Council on Education Fellow
- See comprehensive list of publications above.