Dr. Zelinski received her B.S. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and her M.S. and Ph.D. from Oregon State University. She received post-doctoral training at the Oregon National Primate Research where she is currently Research Associate Professor in the Division of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences, and Associate Professor in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Oregon Health & Science University.
Her research centers on understanding the development and function of primate ovarian follicles. Her experience with nonhuman primates as pre-clinical models for infertility and contraception related to women’s reproductive health spans three decades. She recently received funding to continue development of ovarian tissue vitrification and follicle culture as novel options for female fertility preservation.
She is a four-time recipient of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Scientific Program Prize which highlights the importance of nonhuman primate studies for clinical application. She has been an invited speaker at many national and international meetings, has numerous manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals, and served as Secretary, Program Chair and on the Board of Directors of the Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR) from which she received the Distinguished Service Award in 2014. She is also passionate about bringing science to the public wherein she directs and participants in many educational outreach activities for adults and students.Read more
Areas of interest
- Fertility Preservation for Female Cancer Survivors
- Ovarian Tissue Transplantation
- Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation
- 3-dimensional Follicle Culture
- Ferto-protection from Anti-Cancer Therapies
- Follicle Biology
- B.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison 1977
- M.S., Oregon State University, Corvallis 1979
- Ph.D., Oregon State University, Corvallis 1986
- Post-graduate researcher, University of California, Davis, 1984-1986
- Lalor Foundation Post-doctoral fellow, Oregon National Primate Research Center, 1987-1988
- Research Associate, Oregon National Primate Research Center, 1988-1990
Honors and awards
- 2014 Distinguished Service Award, Society for the Study of Reproduction
- 2013 Co-author, First Prize, oral presentation, 27th Annual Congress of the Sociedade Brasileiro de Reprodução Assistida (Brazilian Society of Assisted Reproduction)
- 2012 Co-author on two Scientific Program Prize Paper finalists, 68th Annual Meeting, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- 2012 Co-author, Best Abstract, German Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics, Annual Meeting, Munich, Germany
- 2009 Best Poster Award, World Congress on Fertility Preservation, Brussels, Belgium
- 2008 General Program Prize Paper, 64th Annual Meeting, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- 2006 Co-author on General Program Prize Paper, 62nd Annual Meeting, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- 2005 Co-author on General Program Prize Paper, 61st Annual Meeting, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- 2005 Excellence in Action Award, Girl Scouts – Columbia River Council
- 2003 Community Service Award, Girl Scouts – Columbia River Council
- 2002 Distinguished Science Educator Award, Oregon Health & Science
- 2000 Leadership Award, Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (AWSEM)
- 2000 Outstanding Volunteer Award, Girl Scouts – Columbia River Council
- 1999 Finalist, Faculty Senate Research Award, Oregon Health Sciences University
- 1998 Outstanding Contributions, Human Reproduction 13:259-267 and
- 1997 Outstanding Contribution, Human Reproduction 12:1877-1885
- 1993 Finalist, Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Prize Paper, Conjoint Meeting of the American Fertility Society/The Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society
- 1992 General Program Prize Paper, 48th Annual Meeting, American Fertility Society
- 1983 John T. Babcock Award, Ph.D. Student of Excellence in the College of Agricultural Sciences, Oregon State University
- 1983 Elected full member of Sigma Xi honor society
Memberships and associations
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Association of Women in Science
- Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (AWSEM)
- International Society for Fertility Preservation, Newsletter Co-editor, 2011-2012
- Oncofertility Consortium: National Physicians Cooperative Leadership Committee, National Physicians Cooperative Basic Science Subcommittee, Oncofertility Consortium Ovarian Tissue Vitrification Subcommittee
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Cryobiology
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Local Arrangements Committee, 1997 (Corvallis, OR) and 1981 (Portland, OR)
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Chair, Awards Committee, 1997-1998
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Animal Care and Experimentation Committee, 1999-2001
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Nominee, Board of Directors, 2000
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Editorial Board, 1982-1986 and 2000-2004
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Secretary, 2001-2004
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Board liaison, Clinical Outreach Committee, 2001-2004 and 2005-2006
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Board liaison, Minority Affairs Committee, 2001-2004
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Program Committee, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Board of Directors, 2005-2007
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Board Liaison, Nominating Committee, 2007-2008
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: SSR representative to FASEB Excellence in Science Award Committee, 2005-2008; SSR Advisor, Trainee Affairs Committee, 2008-2010
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Strategic Planning Committee, 2008-2010 and 2012
- Society for the Study of Reproduction :Public Affairs Committee, 2011-2016
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Program Chair, 45th Annual Meeting, State College PA, 2012
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Annual Meeting Advisory Committee, 2012-2013, Chair, 2014 and 2015-2017
- Grant reviewer: USDA Panel Manager, Grants in Reproductive Sciences, 2016-2017
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD, CMIR Study Section, October 2012-2016
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD Loan Repayment Project, 2015-2017
- Grant reviewer: Israel Science Foundation, 2015
- Grant reviewer: University of Washington NIH Diabetes Research Center, 2015
- Grant reviewer: Fonds de la recherché scientifique (FNRS), Belgium, 2014 and 2015
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD, Reviewer for P01 grants, 2012-2013
- Grant reviewer: Medical Research Council (MRC), United Kingdom, 2013
- Grant reviewer: Lalor Foundation, 2013, 2016
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD, ICER Study Section, January and May 2011
- Grant reviewer: Research Foundation of Flanders (FWO), Belgium, 2011
- Grant reviewer: Smithsonian Institution, 2011
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD, Special Emphasis Panel, Fertility Preservation, 2009
- Grant reviewer: Medical Research Foundation of Oregon, 2007-2009
- Grant reviewer: NIH, NICHD, CMIR Study Section, June 2005
- Grant reviewer: USDA, Grants in Reproductive Sciences, Study Section, 2003-2005 and 2014-2015
- Grant reviewer: NIH, Small Business Innovation Research / Biochemical Endocrinology Study Section, July, 2001
- Grant reviewer: NSF-EPSCoR in North Dakota, 2000
- Grant reviewer: South Dakota Health Research Foundation, 1999 and 2000
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: American Journal of Primatology
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Biological Research
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Biology of Reproduction
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Biomedical Research International
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Cell Tissue Research
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Endocrinology
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Fertility and Sterility
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Future Oncology
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Histology and Histopathology
- Ad hoc Journal reviewer: Human Reproduction
- Society for the Study of Reproduction: Future Meeting Sites Chair 2017-2019
Xu J, Zelinski MB, Stouffer RL. Studies on anti-Mullerian hormone production, action and regulation in the primate ovary: Insight into human folliculogenesis. In: Seifer D and Tal R (eds). Anti-Mullerian Hormone: Biology, Role in Ovarian Function, and Clinical Significance, New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2016, pp 33-46.
Ting AY, Mullen SF, Zelinski MB. Vitrification of ovarian tissue for fertility preservation. In: Gosiengfiao YC, Woodruff TK. Pediatric and Adolescent Oncofertility: Best Practices and Emerging Technologies. Springer, SPi Global, Chennai, India, 2016, pp. 79-97.
Zelinski MB, Murphy M, Lawson M, Pau, F, Toscano N, Jacob D, Fanton J, Tilly JL. Intraovarian delivery of a spingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) agonist, FTY720, prior to ovarian X-irradiation yields fertilization, embryonic development and pregnancy in rhesus monkeys. Fertil Steril, 15:1440-1445.e1-7, 2011. PMID 21316047 PMCID: PMC3063448
Telfer EE, Zelinski MB. Ovarian follicle culture: advances and challenges for human and nonhuman primates. Invited manuscript for View and Reviews, Fertil Steril 99:1523-1533, 2013. PMID: 23635350. PMCID: PMC3929501.
- "Inhibition of sperm motility in male macaques with EP055, a potential non-hormonal male contraceptive." PLoS One In: , Vol. 13, No. 4, e0195953, 01.04.2018.
- "New Approaches in Cancer Biology Can Inform the Biology Curriculum." American Biology Teacher In: , Vol. 80, No. 3, 01.03.2018, p. 168-174.
- "Can peri-ovulatory putrescine supplementation improve egg quality in older infertile women?" Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Subcutaneous ovarian tissue transplantation in nonhuman primates : duration of endocrine function and normalcy of subsequent offspring as demonstrated by reproductive competence, oocyte production, and telomere length." Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics In: , 23.09.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Development of macaque secondary follicles exposed to neutral red prior to 3-dimensional culture." Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics In: , 21.09.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Characterization of FOXO1,3 and 4 transcription factors in ovaries of fetal, prepubertal and adult rhesus macaques." Biology of Reproduction In: , Vol. 96, No. 5, iox034, 01.05.2017, p. 1052-1059.
- "Good manufacturing practice requirements for the production of tissue vitrification and warming and recovery kits for clinical research." Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics In: , 30.11.2016, p. 1-10.
- "Reproductive science for high school students : A shared curriculum model to enhance student success." Biology of Reproduction In: , Vol. 95, No. 1, 28, 01.07.2016.
- "Studies on anti-müllerian hormone production, action, and regulation in the primate ovary : Insight into human folliculogenesis." Anti-Müllerian Hormone: Biology, Role in Ovarian Function and Clinical Significance. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2016. p. 33-46.
- "Ovarian tissue transport to expand access to fertility preservation : From animals to clinical practice." Reproduction In: , Vol. 152, No. 6, 2016, p. R201-R210.
- "In Vivo Models of Ovarian Toxicity." Cancer Treatment and the Ovary: Clinical and Laboratory Analysis of Ovarian Toxicity. Elsevier Inc., 2015. p. 65-78.
- "Western-style diet, with and without chronic androgen treatment, alters the number, structure, and function of small antral follicles in ovaries of young adult monkeys." Fertility and Sterility In: , 28.08.2015.
- "Phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibition with cilostazol does not block in vivo oocyte maturation in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta)." Contraception In: , Vol. 91, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 418-422.
- "Exposure of female macaques to western-style diet with or without chronic T in vivo alters secondary follicle function during encapsulated 3-dimensional culture." Endocrinology In: , Vol. 156, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 1133-1142.
- "Direct actions of androgens on the survival, growth and secretion of steroids and anti-Mü llerian hormone by individual macaque follicles during three-dimensional culture." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 2015, p. 664-674.
- "Expression of the beta-2 adrenergic receptor (ADRB-2) in human and monkey ovarian follicles : A marker of growing follicles?" Journal of Ovarian Research In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 8, 2015.
- "A prostaglandin E2 receptor antagonist prevents pregnancies during a preclinical contraceptive trial with female macaques." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 29, No. 7, 2014, p. 1400-1412.
- "Papel local dos androgênios no desenvolvimento de folículos pré-antrais de primatas não humanos cultivados individualmente em matriz tridimensional." Reproducao e Climaterio In: , Vol. 29, No. 3, 2014, p. 93-104.
- "Vascular endothelial growth factor and angiopoietin production by primate follicles during culture is a function of growth rate, gonadotrophin exposure and oxygen milieu." Human reproduction (Oxford, England) In: , Vol. 28, No. 12, 12.2013, p. 3263-3270.
- "Fibrin promotes development and function of macaque primary follicles during encapsulated three-dimensional culture." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 28, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 2187-2200.
- "Morphological and functional preservation of pre-antral follicles after vitrification of macaque ovarian tissue in a closed system." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 28, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 1267-1279.
- "Ovarian follicle culture : Advances and challenges for human and nonhuman primates." Fertility and Sterility In: , Vol. 99, No. 6, 05.2013, p. 1523-1533.
- "Oocyte maturation and in vitro hormone production in small antral follicles (SAFs) isolated from rhesus monkeys." Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 03.2013, p. 353-359.
- "The role of scientists and clinicians in raising public support for animal research in reproductive biology and medicine." Biology of Reproduction In: , Vol. 88, No. 2, Article 33, 02.2013.
- "Primate follicular development and oocyte maturation in vitro." Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. Vol. 761 2013. p. 43-67 (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; Vol. 761).
- "Medical termination of pregnancy in cynomolgus macaques." Journal of Medical Primatology In: , Vol. 41, No. 6, 12.2012, p. 394-402.
- "Amphiregulin promotes the maturation of oocytes isolated from the small antral follicles of the rhesus macaque." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 27, No. 8, 08.2012, p. 2430-2437.
- "Synthetic polymers improve vitrification outcomes of macaque ovarian tissue as assessed by histological integrity and the in vitro development of secondary follicles." Cryobiology In: , Vol. 65, No. 1, 08.2012, p. 1-11.
- "Expression profiles of cohesins, shugoshins and spindle assembly checkpoint genes in rhesus macaque oocytes predict their susceptibility for aneuploidy during embryonic development." Cell Cycle In: , Vol. 11, No. 4, 15.02.2012, p. 740-748.
- "In vitro development of secondary follicles from cryopreserved rhesus macaque ovarian tissue after slow-rate freeze or vitrification." Human Reproduction In: , Vol. 26, No. 9, 09.2011, p. 2461-2472.