Dr. Shindo joined the department in 2008. She serves as director of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Program, consulting with patients and providing a full range of diagnosis and treatment services to patients with thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
Dr. Shindo has special expertise in the treating complicated thyroid and parathyroid conditions, bringing together the expertise of doctors from several specialties when necessary. She has performed pioneering work with new treatments, including minimally invasive surgery in the thyroid area done under local anesthesia and minimally invasive thyroid surgery with video technology. This surgery is an updated version of the usual laparoscopic procedure that gives patients the benefits of a much smaller incision and smaller scar after surgery.Read more
- Otolaryngology - head and neck surgery, University of Southern California Medical Center, 1989
- Head and neck oncologic surgery, Northwestern University Hospital, 1991
- American Board of Otolaryngology, 1989
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - head and neck surgery
- "AHNS Series : Do you know your guidelines? AHNS Endocrine Section Consensus Statement: State-of-the-art thyroid surgical recommendations in the era of noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features." Head and Neck In: , Vol. 40, No. 9, 01.09.2018, p. 1881-1888.
- "American Thyroid Association Statement on Postoperative Hypoparathyroidism : Diagnosis, Prevention, and Management in Adults." Thyroid In: , Vol. 28, No. 7, 01.07.2018, p. 830-841.
- "Evidence-Based Practice : Management of Well-Differentiated Thyroid Cancer." Evidence-Based Clinical Practice in Otolaryngology. Elsevier, 2018. p. 175-184.
- "Thyroidectomy in patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery." Head and Neck In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Comparison of Opioid Utilization Patterns after Major Head and Neck Procedures between Hong Kong and the United States." JAMA Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , 01.01.2018, p. E1-E6.
- "Opioid Prescribing Practice and Needs in Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery." JAMA Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Normal cervical lymph node appearance and anatomic landmarks in neck ultrasound." Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. Springer International Publishing, 2017. p. 207-214.
- "Surgical considerations for papillary thyroid microcarcinomas." Journal of Surgical Oncology In: , 2017.
- "Focused lateral approach for targeted parathyroidectomy." Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 27, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 157-161.
- "New recommendations for extent of thyroidectomy and active surveillance for the treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer." JAMA Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 142, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 625-626.
- "The changing landscape of primary, secondary, and tertiary hyperparathyroidism : Highlights from the American College of Surgeons Panel, "what's new for the surgeon caring for patients with hyperparathyroidism"." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 222, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 1240-1250.
- "Expanding the net : The re-evaluation of the multidimensional nomogram calculating the upper limit of normal PTH (maxPTH) in the setting of secondary hyperparathyroidism and the development of the MultIdimensional Predictive hyperparaTHyroid model (Mi-PTH)." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 159, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 226-239.
- "Management of invasive well-differentiated thyroid cancer : An American head and neck society consensus statement." Head and Neck In: , Vol. 36, No. 10, 2014, p. 1379-1390.
- "American thyroid association statement on outpatient thyroidectomy." Thyroid In: , Vol. 23, No. 10, 01.10.2013, p. 1193-1202.
- "The Parathyroid Glands in Thyroid Surgery." Thyroid Surgery: Preventing and Managing Complications. John Wiley and Sons, 2012. p. 137-143.
- "Management of Well-Differentiated Thyroid Cancer." Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 45, No. 5, 10.2012, p. 1163-1179.
- "Role of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis in central node metastasis of papillary thyroid carcinoma." Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 147, No. 3, 09.2012, p. 444-449.
- "The role of molecular markers and tumor histological type in central lymph node metastasis of papillary thyroid carcinoma." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 138, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 44-49.
- "Central nodal metastases in papillary thyroid carcinoma based on tumor histologic type and focality." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 136, No. 7, 07.2010, p. 692-696.
- "Total thyroidectomy with and without selective central compartment dissection : A comparison of complication rates." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 136, No. 6, 06.2010, p. 584-587.
- "Surgery for hyperthyroidism." ORL In: , Vol. 70, No. 5, 10.2008, p. 298-304.
- "Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using local anesthesia with intravenous sedation and targeted approaches." Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 138, No. 3, 03.2008, p. 381-387.
- "Minimal access parathyroidectomy using the focused lateral approach : Technique, indication, and results." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 133, No. 12, 12.2007, p. 1227-1234.
- "Incidence of vocal cord paralysis with and without recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroidectomy." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 133, No. 5, 05.2007, p. 481-485.
- "The importance of central compartment elective lymph node excision in the staging and treatment of papillary thyroid cancer." Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 132, No. 6, 2006, p. 650-654.
- "Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma." Head and Neck In: , Vol. 27, No. 12, 12.2005, p. 1102-1107.
- "Surgical anatomy of the recurrent laryngeal nerve revisited." Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 133, No. 4, 10.2005, p. 514-519.
- "Intraoperative rapid parathyroid hormone monitoring in parathyroid surgery." Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 37, No. 4, 08.2004, p. 779-787.
- "Orbital Osteoma with Gaze-Evoked Amaurosis." Archives of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 122, No. 5, 05.2004, p. 788-789.
- "Facial reanimation with microneurovascular free flaps." Facial Plastic Surgery In: , Vol. 16, No. 4, 2001, p. 357-359.