Dr. Luiz E. Bertassoni graduated with a DDS degree from Pontifical Catholic University of Parana (PUCPR) in Brazil, obtained a PhD in Biomaterials and Bioengineering from University of Sydney, and two postdoctoral degrees from University of California San Francisco, and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology. Currently, Dr. Bertassoni is an Assistant Professor at Oregon Health and Science University-School of Dentistry. He also holds appointments at the OHSU Center for Regenerative Medicine and Department of Biomedical Engineering at OHSU School of Medicine. Luiz is also a honorary lecturer in Biomaterials and Bioengineering at University of Sydney-School of Dentistry. Dr. Bertassoni leads a multidisciplinary research group working on various aspects of biomaterials and tissue engineering. His recent work on bioprinting for vascularization of tissue engineering constructs has received extensive attention in the popular media, including Fox News, BBC, The Guardian, Fox Business, Wired.com, Tech Crunch, etc; and was recently selected as one of the top 100 science stories of 2014 (#64) by Discover Magazine. Luiz is a recipient of over 20 national and international research awards, 9 competitive research grants and has received over $3 Million in research funding. Luiz currently serves as an ad-hoc reviewer or editorial board member for over 30 journals. Dr. Bertassoni's research studies the use micro-scale technologies and bioprinting for tissue engineering; nanoscale structural and mechanical properties of mineralized tissues; and different aspects of the emerging field of ‘organs-on-a-chip’.
- D.D.S., Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná Brazil 2007
- Ph.D., University of Sydney, Sydney Australia 2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Medical School 2012-2013
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Brigham and Women's Hospital 2012-2013
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, San Francisco 2007-2009
- "Engineering Microvascular Networks in LED Light-cured Cell-Laden Hydrogels." ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering In: , 27.04.2018.
- "A dentin-derived hydrogel bioink for 3D bioprinting of cell laden scaffolds for regenerative dentistry." Biofabrication In: , Vol. 10, No. 2, 024101, 10.01.2018.
- "A Novel Strategy to Engineer Pre-Vascularized Full-Length Dental Pulp-like Tissue Constructs." Scientific Reports In: , Vol. 7, No. 1, 3323, 01.12.2017.
- "3D printing : Prospects and challenges: Nanomaterials in 3D bioprinting: Current approaches and future possibilities." Nanotechnologies in Preventive and Regenerative Medicine: An Emerging Big Picture. Elsevier Inc., 2017. p. 349-379.
- "Biomaterials for Craniofacial Bone Regeneration." Dental Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 61, No. 4, 01.10.2017, p. 835-856.
- "Photopolymerization of cell-laden gelatin methacryloyl hydrogels using a dental curing light for regenerative dentistry." Dental Materials In: , 01.01.2017.
- "No additional benefit of using a calcium hydroxide liner during stepwise caries removal. A randomized clinical trial." Journal of the American Dental Association In: , 2017.
- "Biomaterials for Oral Health." Dental Clinics of North America In: , 2017.
- "3D printed versus conventionally cured provisional crown and bridge dental materials." Dental Materials In: , 2017.
- "Dentin on the nanoscale : Hierarchical organization, mechanical behavior and bioinspired engineering." Dental Materials In: , 01.12.2016.
- "Removal of dentin non-collagenous structures results in the unraveling of microfibril bundles in collagen type I." Connective Tissue Research In: , 30.10.2016, p. 1-10.
- "Immunolocalization and distribution of proteoglycans in carious dentine." Australian Dental Journal In: , Vol. 61, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 288-297.
- "Three-Dimensional Bioprinting for Regenerative Dentistry and Craniofacial Tissue Engineering." Journal of Dental Research In: , Vol. 94, 24.09.2015, p. 143S-152S.
- "Effect of tooth bleaching agents on protein content and mechanical properties of dental enamel." Acta Biomaterialia In: , Vol. 20, 01.07.2015, p. 120-128.
- "The role of proteoglycans in the nanoindentation creep behavior of human dentin." Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials In: , Vol. 55, 01.03.2015, p. 264-270.
- "Engineering pre-vascularized scaffolds for bone regeneration." Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. Vol. 881 Springer New York LLC, 2015. p. 79-94 (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; Vol. 881).
- "Preface : engineering mineralized and load-bearing tissues: progress and challenges." Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology In: , Vol. 881, 2015, p. v-vii.
- "Surface roughness of restoration margin preparations : A comparative analysis of finishing techniques." International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry In: , Vol. 35, No. 2, 2015, p. 211-218.
- "Hydrogel bioprinted microchannel networks for vascularization of tissue engineering constructs." Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology In: , Vol. 14, No. 13, 07.07.2014, p. 2202-2211.
- "25th anniversary article : Rational design and applications of hydrogels in regenerative medicine." Advanced Materials In: , Vol. 26, No. 1, 08.01.2014, p. 85-124.
- "The contribution of proteoglycans to the mechanical behavior of mineralized tissues." Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials In: , Vol. 38, 2014, p. 91-104.
- "Direct-write bioprinting of cell-laden methacrylated gelatin hydrogels." Biofabrication In: , Vol. 6, No. 2, 024105, 2014.
- "Mechanical heterogeneity of dentin at different length scales as determined by AFM phase contrast." Micron In: , Vol. 43, No. 12, 12.2012, p. 1364-1371.
- "The dentin organic matrix - Limitations of restorative dentistry hidden on the nanometer scale." Acta Biomaterialia In: , Vol. 8, No. 7, 07.2012, p. 2419-2433.
- "Influence of hydration on nanoindentation induced energy expenditure of dentin." Journal of Biomechanics In: , Vol. 45, No. 9, 01.06.2012, p. 1679-1683.
- "Insights into the structure and composition of the peritubular dentin organic matrix and the lamina limitans." Micron In: , Vol. 43, No. 2-3, 02.2012, p. 229-236.
- "Mechanical recovery of dentin following remineralization in vitro - An indentation study." Journal of Biomechanics In: , Vol. 44, No. 1, 04.01.2011, p. 176-181.
- "Evaluation of surface structural and mechanical changes following remineralization of dentin." Scanning In: , Vol. 32, No. 5, 09.2010, p. 312-319.
- "Effect of additives on the compressive strength and setting time of a Portland cement." Brazilian oral research In: , Vol. 24, No. 2, 04.2010, p. 158-164.
- "Nanotechnology in dental sciences : Moving towards a finer way of doing dentistry." Materials In: , Vol. 3, No. 3, 2010, p. 1674-1691.