Kristi Tonning, Ph.D., is the Director of the Radiation Therapy Program and associate professor. She joined the OHSU faculty in July 2015 after working for over 12 years in Stavanger, Norway, as a radiation therapist, dosimetrist and department manager at Stavanger University Hospital. Also in Norway, Dr. Tonning earned her Master of Science in Change Management from University of Stavanger. At OHSU, Dr. Tonning serves as a member of the OHSU Interprofessional Education Steering Committee.
Dr. Tonning’s interest in patient education and virtual reality is the basis of her current and ongoing research. Notably, in 2016 Dr. Tonning oversaw the installation and curricular implementation of the Virtual Environment for Radiation Therapy Training (VERT) for student education at OHSU. She later led the development and implementation of a patient education project, bringing virtual reality patient education to the Tuality/OHSU Cancer Center. Tuality/OHSU was the first in the nation to offer a 3-D virtual simulation patient education session, prior to treatment with radiation therapy.
Education and training
- B.S., 2001, Oregon Health & Science University
- M.S., 2009, University of Stavanger
- Ph.D., 2021, Pacific University
- The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) - R.T.(T)
- Oregon Board of Medical Imaging (OBMI) - Practice of Radiation Therapy
Memberships and associations:
- American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT)
- Oregon Society of Radiologic Technologists (OSRT)
Areas of interest
- Patient education, radiation therapy, interprofessional education (IPE), change management
- Virtual Reality in Radiation Oncology (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04278534)
- PPS STEM Career Connections (https://vimeo.com/350194669)
Honors and awards
- Provost Award for Transparency in Assessment 2022: Radiation Therapy Program
- Provost Award for Excellence in Program Assessment 2020: Radiation Therapy Program
- Provost Award for Stakeholder and Data Engagement 2020: Radiation Therapy Program
- Jones, T., Stilp, C., Driessnack, M., Austin, J., Tonning, K., Bearden, D., Taylor, C., Brown, L. & Carney, P. (2021). Development of a Longitudinal Curricular Evaluation Framework for Intra- and Interprofessional Teamwork. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education, 11(1), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.22230/jripe.2021v11n1a325
- Tonning, K, Thompson, M. (2021) Chapter 3: Patient Assessment, Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy 5e, Washington, Leaver, Trad, Elsevier (Textbook)
- Tonning, K. L. (2021). The effectiveness of patient education practices in increasing knowledge and reducing anxiety related to radiation therapy. Pacific University, Doctoral dissertation.
- Driessnack, M., Stilp, C. C., Gedney Baggs, J., Austin, J. P., Tonning, K., & Boyd, J. (2018). Economic models for sustainable interprofessional education. Journal of interprofessional care, 32(6), 745–751. https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2018.1509846
- Tonning, K. (2019). The Effectiveness of Patient Education in Reducing Anxiety and Increasing Comprehension for Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy. Pacific University Interprofessional Education Conference
- Stilp, C, Austin, J, Tonning, K., Driessnack, M, Bearden, D, Tucker, C. , Taylor, C, Carney, P (2019) Measuring Stages of Inter- and Intra-professional Competency Development in Health Professions Education. Oregon Health & Science University Symposium on Educational Excellence.
- Tonning, K., Thompson, M. (2018) Students as Teacher and Patients as Learners: Pathway of the Integration of a 3-D Virtual Simulation into Program Curriculum and to Patient Education. (3rd place poster at Oregon Health & Science University Symposium on Educational Excellence)
- Tonning, K. (2018) Targeted Radiation Therapy Patient Education Session, Utilizing 3-D Simulation to decrease Patient Anxiety and Increase Compliance. Pacific University Interprofessional Education Conference.