Dr. Kerri Winters-Stone is a Professor with the OHSU School of Nursing and is Co-Director of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute's Community Partnership Program and Co-Leader of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute's Cancer Prevention and Control Program. Her expertise and research focus centers on the use of physical activity to prevent and manage chronic disease.
Dr. Winters-Stone writes:
Bone fragility and quality of life in cancer survivors is the focus of my research. Our research has shown that breast cancer survivors have poorer bone health and fall more compare to women who have not been treated for breast cancer and both factors contribute to an increased risk of fracture after cancer treatment. We are continuing to examine treatment related causes of falls in breast cancer survivors to better develop interventions that reduce fall risk. In addition to breast cancer, prostate cancer survivors may be at higher fracture risk due to bone and muscle destroying treatments. A major focus of our research is testing the ability of a specific exercise intervention that we developed in non-cancer populations to reduce fracture risk and improve quality of life in breast and prostate cancer survivors.
Beyond fracture risk, the intersection of aging and cancer treatment can increase the risk of frailty and loss of independence in older cancer survivors. Exercise may prevent frailty development, and determining the optimal type and amount of exercise to do so is the focus of another intervention study in older breast cancer survivors. The next step for our research is to translate our findings into evidence-based programs that can be disseminated and broadly implemented in the greater cancer survivor community, including innovative programs that can reach frail elders and rural adults.
- B.S., University of California, Davis California 1991
- Ph.D., Oregon State University, Corvallis Oregon 2000
Memberships and associations
- American College of Sports Medicine; American Society of Bone and Mineral Research
- "Effects of resistance plus aerobic training on body composition and metabolic markers in older breast cancer survivors undergoing aromatase inhibitor therapy." Experimental Gerontology In: , Vol. 111, 01.10.2018, p. 210-217.
- "Effectiveness of a Therapeutic Tai Ji Quan Intervention vs a Multimodal Exercise Intervention to Prevent Falls among Older Adults at High Risk of Falling : A Randomized Clinical Trial." JAMA Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 178, No. 10, 01.10.2018, p. 1301-1310.
- "Comparing exercise responses to aerobic plus resistance training between postmenopausal breast cancer survivors undergoing aromatase inhibitor therapy and healthy women." Disability and Rehabilitation In: , 11.04.2018, p. 1-8.
- "The effect of exercise on sleep in adults with type 1 diabetes." Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism In: , Vol. 20, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 443-447.
- "The effects of resistance exercise on biomarkers of breast cancer prognosis : A pooled analysis of three randomized trials." Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention In: , Vol. 27, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 146-153.
- "Exploring the relationship between β-adrenergic receptor kinase-1 and physical symptoms in heart failure." Heart and Lung In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Patient-reported and objectively measured physical function in older breast cancer survivors and cancer-free controls." Journal of Geriatric Oncology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Updated systematic review of exercise studies in breast cancer survivors : Attention to the principles of exercise training." British Journal of Sports Medicine In: , 20.11.2017.
- "Scaling Up and Tailoring the “Putting Public Health in Action” Training Curriculum." Health Promotion Practice In: , 01.11.2017.
- "Enhancing an oncologist’s recommendation to exercise to manage fatigue levels in breast cancer patients : a randomized controlled trial." Supportive Care in Cancer In: , 30.09.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Assessing Community Cancer care after insurance ExpanSionS (ACCESS) study protocol." Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications In: , Vol. 7, 01.09.2017, p. 136-140.
- "A Systematic Review of Exercise Systematic Reviews in the Cancer Literature (2005-2017)." PM and R In: , Vol. 9, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. S347-S384.
- "Falls, functioning, and disability among women with persistent symptoms of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 35, No. 23, 10.08.2017, p. 2604-2612.
- "Erratum : Long-lasting effect of obesity on skeletal muscle transcriptome [BMC Genomics 18, (2017) (411)] DOI: 10.1186/s12864-017-3799-y." BMC Genomics In: , Vol. 18, No. 1, 471, 22.06.2017.
- "Long-lasting effect of obesity on skeletal muscle transcriptome." BMC Genomics In: , Vol. 18, No. 1, 411, 25.05.2017.
- "Identifying a Relationship Between Physical Frailty and Heart Failure Symptoms." Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing In: , 28.03.2017.
- "Cancer Rehabilitation : An Overview of Current Need, Delivery Models, and Levels of Care." Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 28, No. 1, 01.02.2017, p. 1-17.
- "Effects and moderators of exercise on quality of life and physical function in patients with cancer : An individual patient data meta-analysis of 34 RCTs." Cancer Treatment Reviews In: , Vol. 52, 01.01.2017, p. 91-104.
- "Falls and Frailty in Prostate Cancer Survivors : Current, Past, and Never Users of Androgen Deprivation Therapy." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , 2017.
- "Patient-centered communication between adolescent and young adult cancer survivors and their healthcare providers : Identifying research gaps with a scoping review." Patient Education and Counseling In: , 2017.
- "Frequency of and Significance of Physical Frailty in Patients With Heart Failure." American Journal of Cardiology In: , 02.11.2016.
- "Toward a National Initiative in Cancer Rehabilitation : Recommendations From a Subject Matter Expert Group." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation In: , Vol. 97, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2006-2015.
- "The prevalence of frailty in heart failure : A systematic review and meta-analysis." International Journal of Cardiology In: , 12.10.2016.
- "Perpetuating effects of androgen deficiency on insulin resistance." International Journal of Obesity In: , 13.09.2016.
- "Benefits of partnered strength training for prostate cancer survivors and spouses : results from a randomized controlled trial of the Exercising Together project." Journal of Cancer Survivorship In: , 29.12.2015, p. 1-12.
- "Preventing frailty in older cancer survivors." Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation In: , Vol. 31, No. 4, 27.10.2015, p. 241-245.
- "Do cognitive measures and brain circuitry predict outcomes of exercise in Parkinson Disease : A randomized clinical trial." BMC Neurology In: , Vol. 15, No. 1, 218, 24.10.2015.
- "The Effects of Partnered Exercise on Physical Intimacy in Couples Coping With Prostate Cancer." Health Psychology In: , 12.10.2015.
- "Exercise and Cancer Risk--How Much Is Enough?" JAMA oncology In: , Vol. 1, No. 6, 01.09.2015, p. 776-777.
- "Resistance exercise reduces body fat and insulin during androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer." Oncology Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 42, No. 4, 01.07.2015, p. 348-356.