Dr. da Costa received her D.D.S. from the Universidade Paulista School of Dentistry in Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2001 and certificate and M.S. degree in Operative Dentistry from the University of Iowa in 2004. She joined the Restorative Dentistry Department faculty at Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry in 2004, was promoted Associate Professor with tenure in 2010, was appointed Preclinical Director in 2011, promoted to Professor in 2017, and Vice-Chair in 2019.
Areas of interest
- adhesives, tooth whitening, composites
- minimally invasive dentistry
- management of high caries risk patients
- esthetic dentistry
- D.D.S., Universidade Paulista Brazil 2001
- M.S., University of Iowa Iowa 2004
- Certificate of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa
Honors and awards
- OKU Honor Dental Society faculty member in 2012
- OHSU Student Council Faculty Award in 2015
- ADEA/ADEAGies Foundation Dr. Anthony R. Volpe Scholar in the ADEA Leadership Institute in 2018
Memberships and associations
- American Dental Association
- Academy of Operative Dentistry (AOD), served as Councilor, as Assistant Secretary, and serves as VP-elect
- International Association for Dental Research, served as Dental Materials Group Chair and Treasurer
- American Dental Education Association, served as Chair of Operative Dentistry and Biomaterials section
- CAMBRA-Caries Management by Risk Assessment
- Society of Color and Appearance in Dentistry (SCAD), served as Councilor, serves as Secretary
- Effect of Crystallization Firing on Marginal Gap of CAD/CAM Fabricated Lithium Disilicate Crowns. Gold SA, Ferracane JL, da Costa J. J. Prosthodont. 2017, 1-4.
- Determining the best protocol for early caries lesions: an evidence-based guide to nonsurgical treatment. Da Costa J. Inside Dent. July 2014, 56-63.
- With abundance of whitening products, patients look to dentists for direction. da Costa J. Compen Contin Educ Dent. 2013, 34(3):224-225.
- Natural Tooth Bleaching (chapter 16)-2013. Van B. Haywood, Juliana da Costa, and Thomas G. Berry. Summitt’s Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry- A Contemporary Approach, fourth edition. Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc.
- The tooth-whitening process: an update. Da Costa J. Compendium 2012, 33(10):2-7.
- COMMENTARY. The survival of Class V restorations in general dental practice: part 3, five-year survival. Da Costa J. Br Dent J 2012, 212(9):441.
- Comparison of two at-home whitening products of similar peroxide concentration and different delivery methods. Da Costa J, McPharlin R, Hilton T, Ferracane J, Wang M. Journal of Operative Dentistry 2012, 37(4):333-339.
- Critical Appraisal. Preheating of Composites. Da Costa J, Hilton T, Swift E. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry 2011, 23: 269-274.
- Comparison of two-step versus four-step composite finishing/polishing disc systems: evaluation of a new two-step composite polishing system. Da Costa J, Goncalves F, Ferracane J. Journal of Operative Dentistry 2011, 36(2):205-212.
- Comparison of efficacy of an in-office whitening system used with and without a whitening priming agent. Da Costa J, Lubisich E, Ferracane J, Hilton T. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry 2011; 23(2):97-104.
- "Comparison of various resin composite shades and layering technique with a shade guide" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry April 2010
- "The effect of different polishing systems on surface roughness and gloss of various resin composites" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2007
- "Comparison of efficacy of an in-office whitening system used with and without a whitening priming agent" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry April 2011
- "With abundance of whitening products, patients look to dentists for direction." The Compendium of continuing education in dentistry March 2013
- "Evaluation of different methods of optical impression making on the marginal gap of onlays created with CEREC 3D" Operative Dentistry May 2010
- "In vivo temperature measurement" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2011
- "The effect of various dentifrices on surface roughness and gloss of resin composites" Journal of Dentistry 2010
- "Commentary. Surface roughness of nanofill and nanohybrid resin composites after polishing and brushing" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry October 2007
- "Comparison of two-step versus four-step composite finishing/ polishing disc systems" Operative Dentistry March 2011
- "Commentary" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry October 2011
- "Comparison of two at-home whitening products of similar peroxide concentration and different delivery methods" Operative Dentistry July 2012
- "Effect of preheating resin composite on restoration microleakage" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2011
- "Clinically relevant issues related to preheating composites" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2011
- "Effect of heat on the flow of commercial composites" American Journal of Dentistry April 2009
- "Composite preheating" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2011
- "Commentary. Effect of curing lights and bleaching agents on physical properties of a hybrid composite resin" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry August 2008
- "Color and contrast ratio of resin composites for whitened teeth" Journal of Dentistry 2009
- "Comparison of at-home and in-office tooth whitening using a novel shade guide" Operative Dentistry July 2010
- "Effects of new formulas of bleaching gel and fluoride application on enamel microhardness" Operative Dentistry November 2007
- "Effect of artificial aging on the roughness and microhardness of sealed composites" Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry October 2010
- "Commentary" British Dental Journal May 12 2012
- "Effect of Crystallization Firing on Marginal Gap of CAD/CAM Fabricated Lithium Disilicate Crowns" Journal of Prosthodontics 2017