Dr. Barry has been a faculty member at OHSU since 1973. He was director of kidney transplantation from 1976 to 2009, head of the Division of Abdominal Organ Transplantation from 1990 to 1992, and head of the Division of Urology and Renal Transplantation from 1979 to 2008. He is currently professor of urology and professor of surgery, Division of Abdominal Organ Transplantation.
He has been president of the following organizations: the American Urological Association, the American Board of Urology, the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, the Western Section of the American Urological Association, the Northwest Urological Society, the Oregon Urological Society, the Urologic Society of Transplantation and Vascular Surgery, the Western Association of Transplant Surgeons, and the Pacific Northwest Transplant Society. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the United Network for Organ Sharing.
He has been labeled as "One of the Best Doctors in America" by Woodward/White, as "One of our Best Doctors" in the Portland Magazine, "One of the Best 400 Physicians in America" by Good Housekeeping Magazine, and as "One of the Best Medical Specialists in the USA" by Town and Country Magazine. He received the Medical Research Foundation of Oregon Discovery Award in 1994, the Distinguished Faculty Award from OHSU in 2002, the American Urological Association's Certificate of Achievement Award in 2003, the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the OHSU Department of Surgery in 2011, and Honorary Membership in the American Urological Association in 2011. He is the 2014 recipient of the Society of Government Services Urologists H. Godwin Stevenson Award, the 2015 recipient of the Ramon Guiteras Award of the American Urological Association, that society's highest award, the 2016 Laureate of the Societe' Internationale d'Urologie Astellas-European Foundation, and the 2018 recipient of Honorary Lifetime Membership by the Society of Government Services Urologists.
He has more than 300 publications in the fields of urology and renal transplantation, and he has been a visiting professor or guest speaker nationally and internationally.
His specialty areas are kidney transplantation, surgical diseases of the kidney, erectile dysfunction, Peyronie's disease, and reconstructive urology. Fellows, residents, and medical students, in additional to Dr. Barry, see many of his patients. A recommended website is www.urologyhealth.org.Read more
- Urology, University of Oregon Medical School, Portland
- Urology 1975, recertified 1998
- "Editorial Comment on : Learning Curves and Timing of Surgical Trials: Robotic Kidney Transplantation with Regional Hypothermia by Ahlawat et al. (From: Ahlawat RK, Tugcu V, Arora S, et al. J Endourolo 2018;32:1160-1165; DOI: 1089/end.2017.0697)." Journal of Endourology In: , Vol. 32, No. 12, 01.12.2018.
- "Impact of center volume and the adoption of laparoscopic donor nephrectomy on outcomes in pediatric kidney transplantation." Pediatric Transplantation In: , Vol. 22, No. 3, e13121, 01.05.2018.
- "A Simple Neobladder Using a Porcine Model : The Double Limb U-Pouch." Urology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Editorial Commentary." Urology Practice In: , Vol. 4, No. 5, 01.09.2017, p. 410-411.
- "Renal transplantation in 2016." Indian Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 32, No. 3, 01.07.2016, p. 175-177.
- "Editorial comment." Urology In: , Vol. 88, 01.02.2016, p. 109-110.
- "Renal Autotransplantation : 27-Year Experience at 2 Institutions." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 194, No. 5, 01.11.2015, p. 1357-1361.
- "Editorial Commentary." Urology Practice In: , Vol. 2, No. 5, 01.09.2015, p. 279-280.
- "Bone Saw for Calcified Peyronie's Disease Plaques." Urology In: , Vol. 86, No. 2, 01.08.2015, p. 415-416.
- "Diagnosis and management of ureteral complications following renal transplantation." Asian Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 2, No. 4, 2015, p. 202-207.
- "Body Mass Index and the Development of New-Onset Diabetes Mellitus or the Worsening of Pre-Existing Diabetes Mellitus in Adult Kidney Transplant Patients." Journal of Renal Nutrition In: , Vol. 24, No. 2, 03.2014, p. 116-122.
- "Renal failure, dialysis, and transplantation in older adults." Geriatric Urology. Springer New York, 2013. p. 345-356.
- "Alemtuzumab induction with tacrolimus monotherapy in 25 pediatric renal transplant recipients." Pediatric Transplantation In: , Vol. 17, No. 8, 12.2013, p. 718-725.
- "The current role of endourologic management of renal transplantation complications." Advances in Urology In: , 2013.
- "Re : Radical prostatectomy versus observation for localized prostate cancer." European Urology In: , Vol. 62, No. 6, 12.2012, p. 1196.
- "Nocturnal penile tumescence monitoring with stamps-barry JM, Blank B, and Boileau M." Journal of Sexual Medicine In: , Vol. 8, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 1296-1298.
- "Editorial Comment." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 183, No. 6, 06.2010, p. 2286.
- "Legends in urology." The Canadian journal of urology In: , Vol. 16, No. 5, 10.2009, p. 4802-4805.
- "Long-term kidney regraft survival from deceased donors : Risk factors and outcomes in a single center." Transplantation In: , Vol. 86, No. 8, 27.10.2008, p. 1084-1089.
- "End-Stage Renal Disease After Kidney Donation : A Single-Center Experience." Transplantation Proceedings In: , Vol. 40, No. 5, 06.2008, p. 1315-1318.
- "Editorial Comment." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 179, No. 4, 04.2008, p. 1352.
- "Surgical Techniques of Renal Transplantation." Kidney Transplantation. Elsevier Inc., 2008. p. 158-171.
- "Selective, Concurrent Bilateral Nephrectomies at Renal Transplantation for Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 177, No. 6, 06.2007, p. 2250-2254.
- "Re : Prediagnosis Prostate Specific Antigen Velocity is Associated With Risk of Prostate Cancer Progression Following Brachytherapy and External Beam Radiation Therapy. S. E. Eggener, K. A. Roehl, O. Yossepowitch and W. J. Catalona J Urol 2006; 176: 1399-1403." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 177, No. 6, 06.2007, p. 2396.
- "Renal transplant-recipient surgery." BJU International In: , Vol. 99, No. 3, 03.2007, p. 701-717.
- "Treating erectile dysfunction in renal transplant recipients." Drugs In: , Vol. 67, No. 7, 2007, p. 975-983.
- "Editorial Comment." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 176, No. 4, 10.2006, p. 1587.
- "The First Human Renal Transplants." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 176, No. 3, 09.2006, p. 888-890.
- "Treatment of primary hyperoxaluria type 1 with sequential liver and kidney transplants from the same living donor." Urology In: , Vol. 68, No. 2, 08.2006.
- "Editorial comment." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 175, No. 6, 06.2006, p. 2276.