Dr. Donn Spight, Associate Professor, is a minimally invasive foregut and bariatric surgeon. He is actively involved in surgery resident training and has served as the VirtuOHSU Medical Director since 2007. In addition to his residency program involvement, he serves as Chair of the Medical Student Committee for the Society of Black Academic Surgeons.
- M.D., Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago Illinois 1999
- General Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, 1999-2006
- Minimally Invasive Surgery, Oregon Health & Sciences University, Portland, OR., 2007
- Oregon State Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Surgery, 2008
Honors and awards
- David W.E. Baird Award, Excellence in Teaching: Junior Faculty, OHSU School of Medicine, 2013
Memberships and associations
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Society of Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society of Black Academic Surgeons
- Society of Surgeons of the Alimentary Tract
- Mackenzie Society
- "Resident autonomy in the operating room : Does gender matter?" American journal of surgery In: , Vol. 217, No. 2, 01.02.2019, p. 301-305.
- "Risk factors for early postoperative complications after bariatric surgery." Annals of Surgical Treatment and Research In: , Vol. 95, No. 2, 01.08.2018, p. 94-99.
- "Impact of Preoperative Weight Loss on Postoperative Weight Loss after Sleeve Gastrectomy." Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care In: , Vol. 13, No. 2, 01.06.2018, p. 69-74.
- "Crisis Management Simulation : Establishing a Dual Neurosurgery and Anesthesia Training Experience." Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology In: , Vol. 30, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 65-70.
- "PGY-specific benchmarks improve resident performance on Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery tasks." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "What is the future of training in surgery? Needs assessment of national stakeholders." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 156, No. 3, 2014, p. 707-717.
- "Realistic distractions and interruptions that impair simulated surgical performance by novice surgeons." Archives of Surgery In: , Vol. 147, No. 11, 11.2012, p. 1026-1030.
- "Granulocyte-macrophage-colony-stimulating factor-dependent peritoneal macrophage responses determine survival in experimentally induced peritonitis and sepsis in mice." Shock In: , Vol. 30, No. 4, 10.2008, p. 434-442.
- "Predictors of technical skill acquisition among resident trainees in a laparoscopic skills education program." World Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 32, No. 9, 09.2008, p. 1917-1921.
- "Revisional bariatric surgery for failed restrictive procedures." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 4, No. 5, 09.2008, p. 581-586.
- "Psychiatric illness delays diagnosis of esophageal cancer." Diseases of the Esophagus In: , Vol. 21, No. 5, 08.2008, p. 416-421.
- "Simultaneous surgical management of achalasia and morbid obesity." Obesity Surgery In: , Vol. 17, No. 4, 04.2007, p. 547-549.
- "Immunoregulatory effects of regulated, lung-targeted expression of IL-10 in vivo." American Journal of Physiology - Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology In: , Vol. 288, No. 2 32-2, 02.2005.
- "Heat shock inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-mediated tumor necrosis factor expression is associated with nuclear induction of MKP-1 and inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase activation." Critical Care Medicine In: , Vol. 32, No. 11, 11.2004, p. 2284-2292.
- "The A2A receptor mediates an endogenous regulatory pathway of cytokine expression in THP-1 cells." Journal of Leukocyte Biology In: , Vol. 72, No. 5, 01.11.2002, p. 1027-1036.
- "Nucleotide sequence and transcriptional analysis of the celD β-glucanase gene from Ruminococcus flavefaciens FD-1." Canadian Journal of Microbiology In: , Vol. 41, No. 1, 1995, p. 27-34.