The MBQIP for Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) is a quality improvement program required by HRSA’s Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility (Flex) grant program. To participate in Flex funded opportunities, CAHs are required to report on MBQIP Measures. These measures are targeted to CAHs that have lower volumes. MBQIP's Core Improvement Initiatives fall under four domains:
- Patient Safety
- Patient Engagement
- Care Transitions
Additional domains are recommended but not required. Detail on the current domains is available here.
MBQIP On-Demand Resource Center
- Module 1: Quality Improvement 101
- Module 2: MBQIP Program Overview
- Module 3: Care Transitions
- Module 4: Patient Engagement | HCAHPS Measures and Best Practices
- Module 5: Outpatient Measures
- Module 6: Patient Safety and Best Practices
- Online MBQIP Data Abstracting Training Series (7 sessions) by Stratis Health
- Maneuvering MBQIP Measures 101 by National Rural Health Resources Center
- EDTC Data Specification Overview (Audio Only) by Stratis Health
- EDTC Data Collection Tool training Video by Stratis Health
- Quality Net CART Basics by Quality Net
- CART Patient Set-Up | Abstraction | Import & Export by Quality Net
Toolkits | Guides | Resources
- In 2016, ORH launched the MBQIP Benchmarking Program that allows participating CAH Quality Officers to access their MBQIP data in various report formats to share across their organizations- with staff, departments, leadership and their Board of Directors. The MBQIP Benchmarking Program also enables CAHs to benchmark their own data with that of their peers across Oregon. Currently, 19 of Oregon’s 25 CAHs participate in the program. Users can choose numerous report options such as: Dashboard reports, HCAHPS reports, or CAH Comparison reports. Currently through August of 2020, with the use of Flex funds, ORH purchases the needed tableau Online, cloud-based license for CAHs who participate in the MBQIP Benchmarking Program. Beyond August of 2020, licenses will be available for CAHs to purchase and participate in the program for $500 annually. If your CAH is not currently participating but is interested or if you have questions about the program, please contact Stacie Rothwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Critical Access Hospital Quality Reporting Overview Guide to assist new and experienced Quality Officers with reporting requirements at their CAH.
- Healthcare Provider Influenza Vaccine Toolkit developed by the Oregon Immunization Program to assist CAHs with increasing their influenza vaccination rates among healthcare workers and patients for MBQIP measures: IMM-2 and OP-27.
- Quality Improvement Implementation Guide and Toolkit for Critical Access Hospitals by the National Rural Health Resource Center.
- Additional MBQIP resources from the National Rural Health Resource Center are available at the MBQIP Resource Page or FAQs.
Quality Net Resources
Contact: Stacie Rothwell | email@example.com | 971-235-3978