ORH COVID-19 Resources for Rural Health
We recognize that information related to COVID-19 changes daily, if not hourly. We are committed to providing you—our rural health facilities and services—with the most up-to-date information we have from vetted sources to address your questions. We will keep this webpage updated with the most current information we have as it evolves.
Oregon Rural Health Conference
The annual Oregon Rural Health Conference is the largest gathering in Oregon dedicated to sharing information and showcasing innovative approaches to health and the delivery of health care in rural Oregon. The conference brings together providers, administrators, consumers, policy makers and others to exchange ideas and share expertise.
Forum on Aging in Rural Oregon
Please note that the Oregon Office of Rural Health (ORH) has canceled the in-person Forum scheduled for May 27-29, 2020. Our top priority is to help protect our communities and staff and to slow the spread of COVID-19. You will find webinars with timely 2020 Forum content here.
- LGBTQ+ Older and Aging Adult Cultural Competency 101 – Tools to Improve Patient Communication, Care and Outcomes
October 29, 2020
LGBTQ+ Older and Aging Adult Cultural Competency 101 – Tools to Improve Patient Communication, Care, and Outcomes. This multidisciplinary introductory training course for healthcare professionals focuses on older and aging LGBTQ+ adults, including challenges, disparities, and solutions. Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
· Describe health disparities faced by LGBT older adults.
· Explain how policy changes can improve health care and elder services for this population.
· Describe how health systems and providers can advocate and care for their LGBT older patients.
- Policy Matters
September 30, 2020
This year, 2020 has been a challenging year on many fronts. The pandemic, recession, and social unrest are having far reaching impact on every aspect of our lives. Join us on Sept 30, for an interactive forum to hear how AARP is working to advocate for the interests of people 50+ and their families.
Learn about AARP’s “Protect Voters 50+” Campaign that includes a comprehensive voter engagement effort and voter education on important federal issues like Social Security. Learn about current state advocacy efforts and policy priorities for the upcoming 2021 legislative session.
- Scams & Financial Exploitation Targeting Rural & Frontier Elders
August 27, 2020
This virtual session will demonstrate scams and financial exploitation, as well as the impacts they have on rural older Oregonians. Learn to identify the indicators of scams and financial exploitation, who to report to, and what Adult Protective Services (APS) can and cannot do. Hear about the barriers facing the at-risk population in rural and frontier Oregon, focusing on how to work with banks, local law enforcement and other agencies resources to ensure the safety and protection of victims of elder financial abuse. Also hear about the collaborative multi-disciplinary approach APS uses to address complicated cases and the challenges that come with investigating financial cases in rural Oregon.
- Rural Telehealth: What is the impact to RHCs during the PHE and beyond?
August 12, 2020
Not only has the COVID-19 PHE changed the way the we do business in our rural healthcare facilities, it has also changed the way that we have used telehealth in providing patient care. Join us as we explore:
- How the provision of telehealth services has changed during the COVID-19 PHE
- The challenges of providing telehealth during the PHE
- How the PHE may change the telehealth landscape in the future
- Filling the Day with Meaning
July 29, 2020
This training explores factors such as spiritual wellness, personality style, health and usual daily routine in building meaning, relationship and hope for older adults in the midst of Covid 19.
- Understand how changes imposed by the epidemic impact spiritual, emotional and physical health
- Learn how to use the Spiritual Health Assessment to understand the basic needs of the human spirit
- Build a framework for providing a person centered balance of activities that fill the day with meaning for each older adult