The retina specialists at OHSU Casey Eye Institute treat a broad spectrum of sight-threatening conditions of the retina and vitreous.
All of our doctors are board certified and have completed additional fellowship training to specialize in eye conditions such as age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular pucker, macular hole, retinal detachments and tears. Our patients come from the greater Portland area as well as all over North America to access our cutting-edge technology in diagnostics and surgery,andour expertise in rare and complex diseases.
Our skilled specialists have decades of experience in diagnosing and treating conditions of the retina. We offer:
- Patient centered care delivered with kindness, compassion and dignity.
- Leadership in the field, which means you receive care from doctors who are renowned for their contributions to patient care and research. We are invited to share our work at national and global meetings, and hold positions in national specialty organizations and prestigious retina societies.
- One of the few centers in the Western U.S. with a depth of experience in treating complex ocular trauma, pediatric retinal diseases, inflammatory conditions, and ocular oncology services.
- Expertise caring for all types of common retinal conditions and complex eye diseases.
- Access to international experts in gene therapy treatment for inherited retinal diseases. We are one of the only centers in the country that performs this sight-saving surgery.
- We are the main referral center for patients with pediatric retinal conditions in the Pacific Northwest.
- Innovative research and access to clinical trials to learn more about retinal diseases and inherited retinal diseases, study new treatments and offer our patients the most advanced options.
Some of our patients have complex diseases that require a coordinated approach with other subspecialties in ophthalmology, and we work together to manage your eye care.
These subspecialties often include uveitis and inflammatory diseases, vision rehabilitation, ocular genetics and inherited retinal degenerations, neuro-ophthalmology, pediatric ophthalmology, ocular oncology, glaucoma, corneal and external diseases and comprehensive ophthalmology.
Technology and innovation
- State-of-the-art operating rooms with the latest technology, including intraoperative optical coherence tomography. This technology precisely guides surgical maneuvers for macular pucker, macular hole, diabetic retinopathy and retinal gene therapy.
- Access to cutting-edge diagnostic imaging technology, including the latest in optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA) which can view the eye’s internal structures and allows us to diagnose eye conditions earlier to maximize your eye health.
Retina research: OHSU Casey Eye Institute is a world leader in gene therapy clinical trials and is a participant in numerous landmark retinal clinical trials. We strive to improve the understanding and treatment for various retinal conditions, including research to advance retinal imaging techniques that will improve the diagnosis and treatment of many eye diseases. Learn more about our research program.
Age-related macular degeneration: The Wold Family Macular Degeneration Center OHSU Casey Eye Institute is focused on finding the underlying causes of age-related macular degeneration and developing better methods of prevention and treatment.
Clinical trials: For patients who are interested and who may qualify, we invite participation in our numerous clinical trials, including for gene therapy. Learn more.