- Nephrology and Hypertension
Special focus on
- Transplantation Medicine-Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation
- B.A., Stanford University, Stanford California 1968
- M.D., University of Washington, Seattle Washington 1972
- Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, 1972-1973
- Internal Medicine - University of California, San Francisco, 1973-1974
- Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, 1975-1976
- Nephrology - Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, 1976-1979
- Transplantation Immunology - Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, 1977-1979
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, 1976
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Nephrology, 1978
- American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, 1994
Dr. Norman is a professor of medicine and director of both the Immunogenetics Laboratory and Transplant Medicine at OHSU. He has training in medicine, clinical transplantation, transplant immunology and nephrology. Dr. Norman serves as the medical director of the OHSU Kidney Transplant Program. He was a founder of the OHSU Heart Transplant Program in 1985. He has overseen the growth of the Immunogenetics Laboratory, which performs tissue typing for the six solid organ and two bone marrow transplant programs in Oregon, as its medical director since 1980.
Dr. Norman is active in several national and regional organizations. He has served as president of the Pacific Northwest Transplant Society, the United Network of Organ Sharing (UNOS) and the American Society of Transplantation. He has served on the editorial boards of eight national/international medical journals and was the 2006 recipient of the American Society of Transplantation Senior Achievement Award.
Dr. Norman has overseen an active clinical training program in Transplantation Medicine at OHSU for the past twenty years. Most of the graduates of this program are currently making contributions to transplantation at several academic transplant programs in the U.S. and abroad. He is also active in various teaching venues sponsored by the American Societies of Transplantation and Nephrology.Dr. Norman's clinical interests are kidney transplantation and immunogenetics. He is actively involved with managing kidney transplant patients in the hospitals of OHSU and the Portland VA and in the outpatient clinics.Read more
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics
- American Soceity of Nephrology
4.9 out of 5 (185 Ratings, 18 Comments)
The patient ratings score is an average of all responses to the question "How likely would you be to recommend this provider to your family and friends (on a scale of 0 to 10)" on our nationally-recognized NRC patient surveys.
- Jul 23, 2018
Good listener, very thorough, history of tremendous expertise with my medical needs, good teacher, friendly, honest. Saw him as the expert to review and discuss secondary medical issue and it?s impact. Very helpful.
- Jul 16, 2018
Dr. Norman was very thorough, he answered all my questions, and as I said, he's very good communicating, so anyway, I was very pleased ? with my appointment with him.
- Jul 16, 2018
Great doctor and person! Very thorough and knowledgeable about my past history.
- Jun 23, 2018
Dr. Norman is an excellent physician following my kidney transplant status andmedication. I can not say enough positive about the care I have received.
- Jun 17, 2018
Dr. Norman is very carrying and knows my case history.
- Dec 08, 2017
I could not have had better care than I have had at OHSU
- Jul 03, 2017
I have been seeing Dr. Norman for 16+ years and have always felt like he cared for me and was interested in how my health was progressing.
- May 01, 2017
very very good
- Mar 17, 2017
- Feb 27, 2017
Dr. Norman always first class.