Bruce M. Wolfe, M.D., is a graduate of Stanford University and the St. Louis University School of Medicine. His surgical training was completed at St. Louis University. He did additional research training at Harvard Medical School. Relocating to OHSU from the University of California, Davis, he is part of our successful bariatric surgery team and performs procedures such as gastric bypass.
Dr. Wolfe has devoted his surgical career to surgical nutrition and specifically obesity, including the surgical care of obese patients and related research. He has made many contributions to the advancement of the surgical treatment of obesity, including a demonstration of the many benefits of laparoscopic surgery. He presently serves at the co-chair of the National Institutes of Health research consortium on bariatric surgery, known as LABS, and is president of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. He has participated in approximately 1000 bariatric surgical procedures in his career.
Education and training
- M.D., 1967, St. Louis University School of Medicine
- General Surgery, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1973
- Research Fellow in Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA, 1977
- American Board of Surgery, 1974
Memberships and associations:
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American Institute of Nutrition
- American Medical Association
- American Obesity Association
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Past-President
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Past-President 2010-2011
- American Surgical Association
- Mackenzie Society
- National Association of Vascular Access Networks
- National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis, Inc.
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association
- Pancreas Club
- Portland Surgical Society
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society of University Surgeons
- Western Surgical Association
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.