The OHSU Multiple Sclerosis Center is one of the top programs in the country for the care of MS and related disorders. We offer:
- Experts at diagnosing and treating MS and similar disorders.
- Doctors, nurses, therapists and other specialists who work together to give you the best care possible.
- An understanding that every patient is unique, with care tailored to your specific needs.
- A wide array of treatment options and resources to help you live well.
- Leading researchers on these complex disorders.
- Clinical trials to test promising new therapies.
Excellence in MS care
We are at the forefront of research and treatment for:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Demyelinating disorders (diseases that damage myelin, the covering that protects nerves)
- Disorders that have a pattern or symptoms similar to those of MS
- Disorders that inflame the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord)
Expert diagnosis: Our providers have the expertise to accurately diagnose these complicated disorders. In less expert hands, disorders can be mistaken for MS, or MS can be mistaken for something else. We can make sure you get started on the treatment you need.
MS and wellness: OHSU’s MS Wellness Research Group is internationally known for managing MS through diet, exercise and stress relief. The group hosts an annual symposium where experts share the latest findings.
National recognition: The Multiple Sclerosis Center is part of the OHSU Brain Institute, a national leader in research and care. U.S. News & World Report recognizes the Brain Institute among the nation’s top centers for neurology and neurosurgery.
National leadership: We are members of programs that bring together the nation's top MS centers to share knowledge and improve care:
Our team gathers each week in meetings called case conferences to coordinate care. We bring together specialists in areas that can include:
- Rehabilitation, including physical, occupational and speech-language therapy. We also offer expertise in augmentative communication.
- Orthotic support
- Pain management, including neurosurgery for pain and care for facial pain
- Sleep disorders
We use the most sophisticated tools available to diagnose and treat MS and related disorders. They include:
- MRI: Detailed magnetic resonance imaging scans help our experts analyze your brain to check for evidence of MS or related disorders.
- Electrical stimulation rehabilitation devices: These machines stimulate weakened muscles and help manage MS symptoms.
- Body-weight supported treadmill: This device, called a Lokomat, provides walking therapy for patients who have limited use of their legs.
Research and clinical trials
The OHSU Multiple Sclerosis Center is a pioneer in MS research.
- Have developed many promising treatments being tested in clinical trials.
- Have made early strides in myelin repair, holding the potential to strike at the root of MS and related illnesses.
- Are shedding light on the role of brain cells and proteins in these disorders.
- Are leaders in investigating how nutrition, fitness and mindfulness can help patients manage MS.
Parking is free for patients and their visitors.
Center for Health & Healing Building 1, eighth floor
3303 S.W. Bond Ave.
Portland, OR 97239
Map and directions
MS Center fellowships
- Learn about our two- to three-year fellowships in MS and neuroimmunology.
‘Becoming a fighter’
Your gift can help us unravel the mysteries of multiple sclerosis
- April 22, 2022: Two Years Into COVID, Now What? A COVID and MS Update
- Feb. 19, 2021: COVID-19 Vaccines and Multiple Sclerosis
- May 8, 2020: COVID-19 and Multiple Sclerosis