The Department of Restorative Dentistry provides a large proportion of the predoctoral and graduate teaching of the dental school, and maintains a high level of scholarly activity in dental and educational research. Read about us
Dr. Jack Ferracane Awarded
Jack Ferracane, PhD. – 2019 Business Partnership Award
This award is presented to an OHSU community member that:
- works closely with Technology Transfer and Business Development (TTBD) to foster relationships with industry;
- has an entrepreneurial spirit;
- encourages industry connections across the
- is open to establishing and developing new partnerships with business.
Jack Ferracane has been a key collaborator with various industry partners over the years in helping to develop and test various dental materials for durability and longevity as well as other bioactive materials. In FY2018 alone, he engaged in five funded industry partnerships, the most by an independent investigator at OHSU this past year. Over the last five years, Dr. Ferracane has entered into over 20 funded business partnerships, by far the most of any OHSU investigator over this time period. These are not big, splashy partnerships that will make the front page of the newspaper, but it shows the ability of Dr. Ferracane to be open to partnering with various businesses, and businesses want to engage and work with him. TTBD has worked with Dr. Ferracane to secure these industry funding arrangements to increase research support within the School of Dentistry and at OHSU. As the School of Dentistry expands its research capabilities and explores new business partnerships as detailed out by School of Dentistry Dean Dr. Philip Marucha during his keynote remarks at the 2018 Innovation Awards, Dr. Ferracane has been a key contributor and supporter of such efforts while further helping younger faculty explore various business partnering models. Dr. Ferracane and others in the School of Dentistry have been working with TTBD to explore new potential business partnerships and also beginning to strategize about the potential development of a biomaterials and biological testing research center, to attract even more business partners. TTBD values the comradery with Dr. Ferracane and looks forward to new and exciting business partnerships in the future.(Dr. Danny Jacobs, Dr. Jack Ferracane)
OHSU Alumni Honors
At the annual OHSU School of Dentistry Alumni Lunch in April, three of our faculty were honored by the Alumni Association Board. Beata Cymorek was given the title Honorary Alumnus. Mike Taylor was honored with the Legacy Award. Tobie Jones was honored with the Early Career Achievement Award.
News and Announcements
Congratulations to our outstanding faculty for their great accomplishments in the 2018-19 Academic Year!Todd Beck
- Elected President of the Oregon Board of Dentistry
- Helped develop a process to engineer artificial blood vessels which are used to generate teeth, possibly changing the way root canal treatments will be done in the future. Study published in the journal Scientific Reports.
- Dr. Beata Cymorek was awarded with the title of Honorary Alumnus at the April 2018 OHSU School of Dentistry Alumni Lunch.
- During a state meeting in October, Ms. Kim Doyle was sworn in as one of the four members of the Board of the Oregon Association of Dental Laboratories. She will serve as Education chair for the 2018 term.
- Completed term as President of the American Association for Dental Research
- Completed term as President of American Academy of Restorative Dentistry
- Recipient of the School of Dentistry Alumni Association (SDAA) 2018 Faculty Award.
- Appointed to the Alumni Association Board
- Dr. Dennis Nicola was recently selected as President-elect of the Multnomah Dental Society for 2018-19. Dr. Nicola has served on the Board of MDS since 2016. Congratulations and thank you for your service Dr. Nicola!
- The IADR Dental Materials Group election ended October 31, 2017. Carmem S. Pfeifer was elected as Vice President. Her term will begin at the conclusion of the 2018 IADR/PER General Session and Exhibition in London, England, UK (July 25-28, 2018).
- Recipient of Fellowship in the International College of Dentists. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only. The Fellowship is awarded to dentists who have demonstrated, "outstanding professional achievement, meritorious service and dedication to the continued progress of dentistry for the benefit of humankind."
- Named as a member of the American Dental Association's Council on
- Honored with the Legacy Award at the April 2018 OHSU School of Dentistry Alumni Lunch.