News and announcements
Congratulations to our outstanding faculty for their great accomplishments!
- Helped develop a process to engineer artificial blood vessels which are used to generate teeth, possibly changing the way root canal treatments will be done in the future. Study published in the journal Scientific Reports.
- Awarded funding by Biomedical Innovation Program to facilitate the development of innovative drug discovery technologies at OHSU and accelerate their translation to the marketplace.
- Dr. Jones was selected to receive the 2019 Student Faculty Award, sponsored by the School of Dentistry Alumni Association! This award, as voted by the student body, recognizes a clinical or pre-clinical faculty member who plays an outstanding role in nurturing students as individuals and professionals, and demonstrates a strong ability to help students develop clinical skills and professional relationships with peers, faculty and patients.
- Dr. Jurado had an article published in Quintessence of Dental Technology 2019. http://www.quintpub.com/display_detail.php3?psku=JQ630#.XK4P3PZYaUk
- Dr. Merritt won the 2019 OHSU Faculty Senate Research Award. There was an excellent slate of nominees from the School of Dentistry, including Kirsten Lampi, Carmem Pfeifer and Luiz Bertassoni. We are really proud of our nominees, who were all deserving of the award.
- Appointed member of the Oral Dental and Craniofacial Sciences (ODCS) study section at the NIH. This is is the study section that reviews all of the dental R01 and R21 grants for the NIH. Term runs through 2023.
- Guest presenter at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. Lecture entitled: "From stimulus to response: How Streptotoccus mutans coordinates environmental stress perception with structural remodeling of extant biofilms."
- Appointed to the Alumni Association Board
- Selected as President of the Multnomah Dental Society for 2019-20. Dr. Nicola has served on the Board of MDS since 2016.
- Recipient of Fellowship in the International College of Dentists. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only. The Fellowship is awarded to dentists who have demonstrated, "outstanding professional achievement, meritorious service and dedication to the continued progress of dentistry for the benefit of humankind."
- Named as a member of the American Dental Association's Council on Communications.