Our residents have the option to spend a full academic year in their third or fourth year of residency as a research resident. Permission to do a research year is highly competitive and requires that the resident attend and present at several research conferences throughout the year. Research residents have the opportunity to explore a variety of research within our divisions, and often present their work at local, regional, national and international meetings.
How to apply
Residents interested in research must choose a primary mentor from the Department of Surgery faculty, and then develop a research proposal. Applications for the Research Year are due by November 1 prior to the beginning of the Research Year. Once approved by the Research Committee, the residents will then complete one year of research under the direction of Belinda McCully, Ph.D. and Jonathan Brody, Ph.D. Additional research years are occasionally possible, as is research at external institutions.
Contact Dr. Belinda McCully for more information on the program and how to apply.
Residency Research Leadership
Belinda McCully, Ph.D.
Belinda McCully, Ph.D., is a Research Assistant Professor in the Division of Surgical Oncology and Director of Resident Research for the Department of Surgery. Her research focuses on the contribution of autonomic and vascular dysfunction to adverse clinical outcomes in surgical patients.
Jonathan Brody, Ph.D.
Jonathan Brody, Ph.D., is the Vice Chair of Research for the Dept. of Surgery and is the Assoc. Director of the Brenden-Colson Pancreatic Center for Patient Care. He was a member and co-leader of the GI Cancer Program at the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (Thomas Jefferson University). Dr. Brody received his Ph.D. from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and his thesis specialized in studying the molecular aspects of cancer and cancer genetics. He patented, with Dr. Scott Kern, novel buffers for DNA identification (DNA electrophoresis buffer), that have changed the format of this molecular biology technique used to detect DNA. He was elected Chair of the Cancer Research Program (PRCRP), Department of Defense council and serves on many international study sections, including currently being the Chair of the Tumor Biology and Genomics study section for the American Cancer Society and a permanent member of the Cancer Prevention Study Section NCI study section panel. He has published over 135 peer review publications in many top tier scientific and cancer journals. Additionally, he was an American Cancer Society Research Scholar, is NIH (NCI, R01) funded, and won the American Association of Cancer Research, Pancreatic Cancer Career Development Award in 2010. His lab focuses on many molecular aspects of pancreatic cancer, including developing ways to target a novel pro-survival network in pancreatic cancer cells and optimizing current targeted therapies used in the clinic (i.e., an interest in personalizing therapy for pancreatic cancer patients, PanCAN, RAN grant PI). Specifically, his lab is focused on an RNA binding protein, HuR, that is a involved in regulating a pro-survival network in various microenvironment settings involved with pancreatic cancer and targeting the DNA repair pathway (i.e., BRCAness) in pancreatic cancer.
Past Research Resident Publications
- Hoops HE, Brasel KJ, Dewey E, Rodgers S, Merrill J, Hunter JG, Azarow KS. Analysis of Gender-based Differences in Surgery Faculty Compensation, Promotion, and Retention: Establishing Equity. Ann Surg. 2018 Sep;268(3):479-487.
- Hoops HE, Brasel KJ, Stephens CQ, Anderson EM, LeBlanc L, Krishnaswami S. Computerized Residency Interview Scheduling: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Categorical General Surgery Applicants. J Surg Educ. 2018 Jul 16. pii: S1931-7204(18)30020-5 [Epub ahead of print].
- Hoops HE, Haley C, Kiraly LN, An E, Brasel KJ, Spight D. PGY-Specific Benchmarks Improve Resident Performance on Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Tasks. Am J Surg. 2018 May;215(5):880-88.
- Undurraga VJ, Leroux B, Cook MR, Watson J, Fair K, Martin DT, Kerby JD, Williams C, Inaba K, Wade CE, Cotton BA, Del Junco DJ, Fox EE, Scalea TM, Tilley BC, Holcomb JB, Schreiber, MA; PROPPR Study Group. Damage-control resuscitation and emergency laparotomy: Findings from the PROPPR study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Apr;80(4):568-75.
- Crawford JD, Robbins NG, Harry LA, Wilson DG, McLafferty RB, Mitchell EL, Landry GJ, Moneta GL. Characterization of tibial velocities by duplex ultrasound in severe peripheral arterial disease controls. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Mar;63(3):646-51.
- Watson JJ, Moren A, Diggs B, Houser B, Eastes L, Brand D, Bilyeu P, Schreiber M, Kiraly L. A statewide teleradiology system reduces radiation exposure and charges in transferred trauma patients. Am J Surg. Feb 23 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schuitevoerder D, White I, Fortino J, Vetto J. Axillary web syndrome: an underappreciated complication of sentinel node biopsy in melanoma. Am J Surg. 2016 Feb 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Connelly CR, Laird A, Barton JS, Fischer PE, Krishnaswami S, Schreiber MA, Zonies DH, Watters JM. A clinical tool for prediction of venous thromboembolism in pediatric trauma patients. JAMA Surg. 2016 Jan 1;151(1):50-7.
- Connelly CR, Schreiber MA. Endpoints in resuscitation. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2015 Dec;21(6):512-9.
- Azarbal AF, Harris S, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, McLafferty RB, Edwards J, Moneta GL. Nasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization is associated with increased wound occurrence after major lower extremity amputation. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Aug;62(2):401-5.
- Moren A, Cook M, McClain M, Doberne J, Kiraly L,Perkins RS,Kwong K. A pilot curriculum in international surgery for medical students. J Surg Educ. 2015 Jul-Aug;72(4):e9-e14.
- McCully SP, Martin DT, Cook MR, Gordon NT, McCully BH, Lee TH, Dean RK, Rick EA, Moren AM, Fair KA, Undurraga, VJ, Watson KM, Anderson NW, Schreiber MA. Effect of ascorbic acid concentrations on hemodynamics and inflammation following lyophilized plasma transfusion. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 Jul;79(1):30-8.
- Cook MR, Fair KA, Burg J, Cattin L, Gee A, Arbabi S, Schreiber M; Northwest Trauma Research Collaboration. Cirrhosis increases mortality and splenectomy rates following splenic injury. Am J Surg. 2015 May;209(5):841-7.
- Cook MR, Yoon M, Hunter J, Kwong K, Kiraly L. A nonmetropolitan surgery clerkship increases interest in a surgical career. Am J Surg. 2015 Jan;209(1):21-5.
- Crawford JD, Perrone KH, Wong VW, Mitchell EL, Azarbal AF, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Moneta GL.
A modern series of acute aortic occlusion
- Crawford JD, Wong VW, Deloughery TG, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Azarbal AF, Moneta GL.
Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: a red clot syndrome
- Lee TH, Alonzo BJ, Differding J, Underwood SJ, Hamilton G, Kremenevskiy I, McNamara S, Schreiber MA.
The effects of location and low-molecular-weight heparin administration on deep vein thrombosis outcomes in trauma patients
- Hampton DA, Schreiber MA.
Near infrared spectroscopy: clinical and research uses
- Donovan CA, Pommier RF, Schillace R, O'Neill S, Muller P, Alabran JL, Hansen JE, Murphy JA, Naik AM, Vetto JT, Pommier SJ.
Correlation of breast cancer axillary lymph node metastases with stem cell mutations
- Lee TH, McCully BH, Underwood SJ, Cotton BA, Cohen MJ, Schreiber MA.
Correlation of conventional thrombelastography and rapid thrombelastography in trauma
- Riha GM, Kiraly LN, Diggs BS, Cho SD, Fabricant LJ, Flaherty SF, Kuehn R, Underwood SJ, Schreiber MA.
Management of the open abdomen during the global war on terror
- White I, Mills JK, Diggs B, Fortino Hima J, Ellis MC, Vetto JT.
Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma: comparison of lymphocele rates by surgical technique
- Dargon PT, Liang CW, Kohal A, Dogan A, Barnwell SL, Landry GJ.
Bilateral mechanical rotational vertebral artery occlusion
- Hessman CJ, Bubbers EJ, Billingsley KG, Herzig DO, Wong MH.
Loss of expression of the cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 correlates with advanced-stage colorectal cancer
- Barton JS, Riha GM, Differding JA, Underwood SJ, Curren JL, Sheppard BC, Pommier RF, Orloff SL, Schreiber MA, Billingsley KG.
Coagulopathy after a liver resection: is it over diagnosed and over treated?
- Fabricant L, Ham B, Mullins R, Mayberry J.
Prolonged pain and disability are common after rib fractures
- Fabricant L, Kiraly L, Wiles C, Differding J, Underwood S, Deloughery T, Schreiber M.
Cryopreserved deglycerolized blood is safe and achieves superior tissue oxygenation compared with refrigerated red blood cells: a prospective randomized pilot study
- Bronson NW, Luna RA, Hunter JG.
Tailoring esophageal cancer surgery
- Dargon PT, Landry GJ.
- Kret MR, Azarbal AF, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Moneta GL.
Compliance with long-term surveillance recommendations following endovascular aneurysm repair or type B aortic dissection
- Kret MR, Young B, Moneta GL, Liem TK, Mitchell EL, Azarbal AF, Landry GJ.
Results of routine shunting and patch closure during carotid endarterectomy