Diversity Visiting Student Surgery Scholarship
Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) is one of the premier academic surgical training programs in the Pacific Northwest and boasts the largest surgical residency program in the country. There is not only a wide breadth of patient demographics but also a wide breadth of diversity in training opportunities across the state.
OHSU’s Department of Surgery has designed the “Diversity Visiting Student Surgery Scholarship” a funded program to support the Department’s goal of striving for health equity for all by becoming a more diverse, inclusive and equitable department. This program selects one highly qualified student from a historically under-represented (URM) background to participate in a 4th year sub-internship at OHSU.
The selected student will have demonstrated academic excellence, as well as participated in activities that reflect their desire to increase diversity in the field of medicine. The student should come from a group that has been historically under-represented in medicine including: Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American), Black (African or African American), Native American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, as well as students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and those that have grown up in a rural environment as defined on the OHSU School of Medicine MD program website. Student must meet the OHSU School of Medicine MD program visiting student requirements listed on the program website.
- A 4-week rotation at Oregon Health and Science University Hospital
- Reimbursement of $3,000 for travel, housing, and application expenses
- Clinical experience alongside renowned surgeons in many of the surgical specialties that OHSU has to offer including;
- General Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Hepatopancreatic biliary
- Foregut Surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- An assigned faculty mentor
- A resident or fellow mentor
- A meeting with the Vice Chair & Council of Diversity Equity and Inclusion committee
- Review and meet the OHSU School of Medicine MD Program Visiting Student Requirements
- Current CV
- 1-page personal statement describing interest in surgery, future career goals, and commitment to diversity
- A letter of recommendation written by a faculty mentor
- Completed VSLO application
- Completed Department of Surgery Diversity Visiting Student Scholarship application through this link
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
Applications for 2023 will be open in VSLO early spring for fall rotation.
Department of Surgery Diversity Visiting Student Scholarship Program Flier