Where we work
- 560 beds, Level 1 trauma center
- The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has nine core faculty members. The core faculty is supported by three physician assistants and an orthodontist. Beyond our core faculty, your education includes rotations at other facilities such as Kaiser Permanente with an additional five faculty at that site. We are fortunate to have dedicated adjunct private practice faculty focusing on both body and facial aesthetic surgery that complement our educational team. Plastic surgeons on the faculty cover all specialty areas. The services offered at OHSU include: general plastic and reconstructive surgery, hand surgery, peripheral nerve surgery, breast reconstruction, microsurgery including lymphedema, pediatric craniofacial, facial reanimation, gender surgery and aesthetic surgery.
Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
- 151 beds
- Two dedicated pediatric craniofacial surgeons
Portland VA Medical Center
- 245 beds
- One part-time faculty
Legacy Emanuel Hospital
- 554 beds, Level 1 trauma center
- Legacy Emanuel has six orthopaedics faculty including two hand and microvascular surgeons, two specialists in foot and ankle and deformity correction, one trauma surgeon and one spine surgeon.
- This facility also has its own biomechanics lab.
Where we play
The Columbia River Gorge has multiple hikes and waterfalls within a 30-45 minute drive of downtown Portland. Portland's Forest Park is one of the largest urban forests in the United States with more than 80 miles of trails, fire lanes and forest roads.
The Oregon coast is an hour and a half west of Portland by car and the Columbia River Gorge is 45 minutes northeast of Portland.
Portland is one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the country. There are several bike routes outlined in the city with bicycle lanes painted on the roads. Many employees commute to the hospital by bicycle. OHSU gives a discount on parking if you ride your bicycle to work a certain number of times.
Portland has a very active music scene with performances in a wide range of venues, from coffee shops to large stadiums and concert halls.
Portland is home to the Portland Trailblazers (NBA), Portland Timbers (Major League Soccer), Portland Thorns (National Women’s Soccer League) and Portland Beavers (Minor League Baseball).
Mt. Hood is an hour and a half east of Portland by car. Its peak is approximately 11,250 feet high, and the season extends from November to April every year. Other winter alpine activities within driving distance exist in Bend and our neighboring state of Washington.
Travel to other cities
To the north, Seattle is three hours away by car, four hours by Amtrak train and four hours by Greyhound bus. Vancouver, British Columbia, is six hours north by car and ferry. Bend, Oregon, is approximately a three hour drive east through high desert country. Ashland, Oregon, host to the Shakespeare festival held every summer, is a five hour drive south.
Other great things about Portland
- Fifth most fit city in the country (Men’s Health magazine)
- Best eating destination (Food Network)
- Best cityscape (CNN)
- #1 city in the U.S. for biking to work
- #1 city in the U.S. for sustainable living
- #1 city in the U.S. for microbrews