Ravi Chandra, M.D., Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Radiation Medicine and Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He serves as the department’s inaugural director of interprofessional education, the associate director of the residency program, and a block director within the undergraduate medical curriculum in the OHSU School of Medicine. Dr. Chandra also is a member of the Translational Oncology Program at the Knight Cancer Institute. He is a frequently invited speaker and actively involved in professional, resident, and medical student education. He completed his residency and clinical fellowship at the Harvard Radiation Oncology Program. Dr. Chandra received degrees from Johns Hopkins (MD), UC-Berkeley (PhD-Chemistry), and Stanford (BS-Chemistry and Biology).
Dr. Chandra maintains clinical and scholarly work involving Head & Neck and CNS malignancies, in addition to projects on education and patient experience/quality. He has performed and published in the areas of basic (lab), translational, and clinical oncology research.
He is particularly passionate about providing shadowing and mentorship opportunities for students of all ages, especially those from diverse backgrounds.
Learn more about Dr. Chandra here
- Cooperative and institutional prospective clinical trials
- Translation of basic science technologies to the clinic (biomarkers, imaging agents, immunotherapy)
- Retrospective studies including case series/institutional experience/registry
- Technical studies including adaptive planning, serial imaging, and next generation dosimetry using artificial intelligence
- Survey based studies of practice patterns
- Interprofessional and medical education
- Writing and editing of textbooks
- Patient reported outcomes studies
- Digital/telehealth/wearable technology
- Role of radiation staff in patient education
- Cymon Kersch, M.D., Ph.D. (OHSU Radiation Oncology Resident)
- Jehan Yahya M.D., Ph.D. (OHSU Radiation Oncology Resident)
- Kenneth Tan (OHSU M.D. Student)
- Kim Ohaegbulam M.D., Ph.D. (OHSU Radiation Oncology Resident)
- Michael Lee (Camas High School Student)
- Rajat Thawani MD (OHSU Medical Oncology Fellow)
- Simmi Sen (Skyview High School)
- Taryn Norris (OHSU M.D. Student)
- Clifton (Dave) Fuller, M.D., Ph.D. (MD Anderson)
- Ryan Li, M.D. (OHSU)
- Shannon Nugent, Ph.D. (OHSU/VA)
- Dan Golden, M.D., MHPE (University of Chicago)
- Jon Schoenfeld, M.D., MPH (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School)
- Lior Braunstein, M.D. (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center)
- Kristi Tonning, M.S., RTT (OHSU)
- Katie Keane, M.D. (Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School)
- Malcolm Heard, Ph.D. (OHSU)
- Mathew Geltzeiler M.D. (OHSU)
- Matthew Culbert, M.D. (University of Florida (resident)
- Timur Mitin, M.D., Ph.D. (OHSU)
Virtual Oncology Global Conference: May 24, 2020
Virtual Oncology Global Conference: July 28, 2020
Virtual Oncology Global Conference: October 1, 2020
Virtual Oncology Global Conference: November 19, 2020
Pacific Northwest Workshop on Methods in Radiation Oncology Clinical Trials, date to be annouced
Contemporary radiotherapy: present and future. Chandra RA, Keane FK, Voncken FEM, Thomas CR Jr. Lancet. 2021 Jun 21:S0140-6736(21)00233-6. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00233-6.
Schultz OA, Hight RS, Gutiontov S, Chandra R, Farnan J, Golden DW. Qualitative Study of Interprofessional Collaboration in Radiation Oncology Clinics: Is There a Need for Further Education? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021 Mar 1;109(3):661-669. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.09.056.
Chandra RA, Thomas CR. What Happens Next: Radiation Oncology After COVID?Clinical & Translational Radiation Oncology. 26 May 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctro.2020.05.009
Miller MA, Chandra RA, Cuccarese MF, Pfirschke C, Engblom C, Stapleton S, Adhikary U, Kohler RH, Mohan JF, Pittet MJ, Weissleder, R. Radiation Therapy Primes Tumors for Nanotherapeutic Delivery Via Macrophage-Mediated Vascular Bursts. Science Translational Medicine. 2017; 9(392): eaal0225: 12pp. (DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aal0225).
Chandra RA*, Wilhite TJ*, Balboni TA, Alexander BM, Spektor A, Ott PA, Ng AK, Hodi FS, Schoenfeld JD. A Systematic Evaluation of Abscopal Responses Following Radiotherapy in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma Treated With Ipilimumab. Oncoimmunology. 2015; 4(11): e1046028: 7 pp. (DOI: 10.1080/2162402X.2015.1046028).
Chandra RA. Recognizing the Role of Bias in Patient Decision Making. Contemporary Oncology. 2014; 6(4): 6-8.
Chandra RA, Douglas ES, Mathies RA, Bertozzi CR, Francis MB. Programmable Cell Adhesion Encoded by DNA Hybridization. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2006; 45(6):896-901.