Starting and caring for a family during your postdoctoral appointment can be both exciting and challenging. The best avenues for getting information and support include reaching out to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, talking with your Department Administrator, and communicating with other postdoctoral scholars.
OHSU Parental Leave Resources
OHSU supports employees who are welcoming a new child into their family. Here are some helpful resources:
- This page on the O2 describes benefits such as pregnancy accommodations, FMLA and OFLA protected leave, disability insurance, and more. Please note that at this time postdoctoral scholars do not qualify for paid parental leave.
- Pregnancy, Birth, and Adoption Leave Guide
- Parental Leave Checklist
- Breastfeeding in the Workplace
- OHSU Benefits office: 503.494.7617 email@example.com
- OHSU Workplace Expression of Breast Milk Advisory Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Civil Rights Investigations and Compliance (OCIC): 503.494.5148 email@example.com
- Standard insurance: 800.378.2390
Child Care Resources
The landscape of childcare and resources has significantly changed due to COVID. OHSU is striving to meet the needs of our working parents by pulling together resources and information so working parents can easily access various solutions.
- Child care types
- Day care search guide
- Comparison between in-home day care and a day care center
- Oregon Child Care Care Safety Portal
- Washington State Child Care Check
Care.com: All benefit eligible OHSU employees have access to a care.com membership and 5 back up care days in 2021. Care.com offers a platform to search for care, post ads, and respond to ads. Visit the Care.com O2 page to learn how to set up an account.
Chuckslist: OHSU has it's own version of Craigslist where OHSU members can search and post classifieds. Chuckslist can be accessed on bridge. Search for childcare under the Services, Supplies, and Donations category.
Healthy Starts Children's Center: OHSU employees and students are eligible for priority enrollment and discounted tuition rates at Health Starts Children's Center at the South Waterfront. In addition to discounted tuition rates at Healthy Starts, OHSU families enjoy a 10% tuition discount at participating KinderCare and Champions centers across the U.S. To learn more, visit Healthy Start's O2 page.
Resources from the National Postdoctoral Association
A Postdoc's Guide to Pregnancy and Maternity Leave
This guide is for postdocs who are pregnant or planning for pregnancy during their postdoctoral appointments.
A Postdoc's Guide to Paternity Leave
This guide provides information on leave options, as well as suggestions for talking with supervisors about taking leave.
The Pregnant Scholar
This project provides postdoc parents with information about their rights and resources.