Lab, Grant, and People Management
A major part of being a lab manager involves facilitating new discoveries and research, but many more skills are needed to be an effective and equitable lab manager. For example, you need to consider communication, leadership, project management, budgeting, and creative problem solving just to name a few. Take a look at these resources as you begin to develop your expertise in lab, grant, and people management.
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund/Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Special Feature: Laboratory Management by Jim Austin in Science Magazine
- Lab Management by Elisabeth Pain in Science Magazine
- Preparing and Managing Your First Lab Budget: Finance 101 for New Investigators by Megan T Brown in Science Magazine
- Staffing the Lab: Perspectives from Both Sides of the Bench by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- 2020 NIH Virtual Seminar on Program Funding and Grants Administration