When tumors develop inside and around the eye, the specialists at OHSU Casey Eye Institute have the experience and skills to provide the best comprehensive care in the region. Our internationally recognized Ocular Oncology experts are at the leading edge of both patient care and research, giving you access to the latest in diagnostics as well as surgical and medical care
Our team of eye surgeons work to treat a wide variety of benign (non-cancerous) and cancerous tumors in the eye, or involving the eye surface, the eyelids or the orbit such as choroidal melanoma, retinoblastoma, lymphoma, vascular tumors and tumors affecting the conjunctiva. We offer:
- Board-certified and fellowship-trained doctors with expertise in diagnosing and treating both common and rare, complex ocular tumors.
- Access to the latest technology for diagnosing, treating and caring for your condition.
- Patient centered care delivered with kindness, compassion and dignity.
- A team of experts working together from within Casey Eye Institute, Knight Cancer Institute, Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, and other OHSU specialties to tackle eye cancer.
The Ocular Oncology Service at the Casey Eye Institute is one of the busiest practices for eye tumors on the West Coast, and our patients come to see us from the entire Pacific Northwest, California, Alaska and Hawaii. We offer:
- The only center in Oregon, and one of a few centers in the United States, that provides complete care for children and adults who have tumors inside and around their eye.
- Access to both plaque radiation and proton beam radiation so you receive individualize care that best meets your needs.
- Leadership in the field so you receive care from Ocular Oncology experts who are at the leading edge of both patient care and research, and who hold leadership roles in national and international specialty societies.
- Innovative research and access to clinical trials to learn more about eye tumors and study new treatments to improve early diagnosis, survival and vision results.
Meet our doctor
- Alison Skalet, M.D., Ph.D.
- Cancer, Ophthalmology and Eye Cancer Portland
Appointments and titles
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine
- Eye Cancer
- Ocular Melanoma
- Ocular Oncology
When needed, our team of eye surgeons work with a multidisciplinary team at Casey and OHSU to provide you with the best possible care. We offer coordinated care with other specialists at OHSU including medical and radiation oncologists, neurointerventional radiologists, dermatologists, pathologists and anesthesiologists.
At OHSU Casey Eye Institute, you have access to a wide variety of treatment options including:
- Systemic and local chemotherapies including intraarterial chemotherapy.
We are one of a few centers in the United States with access to both plaque radiation and proton beam radiation for the treatment of ocular tumors. This flexibility allows our specialists to provide outstanding individualized care to best meet your needs.
Research and innovation
Extensive research: We conduct cutting-edge research to develop a better understanding of ocular tumors and the side effects of treatment, with the goal of improving early diagnosis, survival, and vision outcomes in the future. Our research program places a particular emphasis on the study of ocular melanoma with innovative collaborations with bioengineers at the Center for Ophthalmic Optics & Lasers and basic scientists at the Knight Cancer Institute. Our physicians are also involved in the leadership of multiple national and international collaborative research groups. Learn more.
Clinical Trials: In addition, whenever possible we offer patients access to clinical trials that are exploring new ways to fight ocular melanoma. Learn more about clinical trials.