The OHSU School of Dentistry encourages and supports research concerning dental disease, clinical techniques, oral biology, and basic biomedical research. More than twenty principal investigators and numerous technical staff pursue a wide variety of projects, ranging in scope from the basic mechanisms of diseases to evidence-based dental treatment. Research projects are funded by Federal grants (NIH, NSF, NASA) as well as a variety of corporate sponsors. All basic science and clinical research faculty have their primary appointments, teaching commitments, and laboratories at OHSU in the School of Dentistry. For further information and opportunities for research, contact the principal investigators or the Office of Research Affairs at the School of Dentistry.
In the news
- Dr. Ginny Hsu, Dr. Laura Iwasaki, and Dr. Howard Freedman Awarded for Research in Orthodontics
- SOD Welcomes New Summer Interns
- Welcome New Researcher, Jonathon Baker Ph.D.
- Ana Paula Fugolin, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D.: Katz R01 Letter of Award
- Bertassoni Lab: Feb 2023 Oregon Public Broadcasting
- Richie Kohli, B.D.S., M.S., and Karan Replogle, D.D.S., M.S.: 2023 American Dental Education Association
- Carmem Pfeifer, D.D.S., Ph.D.: Gender Equity in Academic Health and Medicine (GEAHM) Leadership Conference
- Stephanie Momeni, Ph.D.: American Society for Microbiology
2024 SoD Research Day
Research Day 2024 is coming in March! March 7, 2024 at RLSB.
Dean's Research Seminars
OHSU School of Dentistry offers monthly lectures to share new and ongoing research with students, faculty, staff, and the greater community. The Dean's Research Seminars provide an opportunity to learn from and connect with distinguished speakers in the area of oral health research from respected institutions worldwide. Speakers are hosted by OHSU School of Dentistry faculty, and regularly offer Continuing Education (CE) credits for alumni and the greater dental community. On a quarterly basis, the School of Dentistry offers Faculty Research Seminars, wherein current OHSU SOD faculty share information and current research from their labs and specific areas of expertise. At the beginning of each school year, OHSU SOD research faculty also present a Meet the Mentor seminar, introducing students to research activities and opportunities throughout the school.
Dean's and Faculty's Seminars will be hosted virtually until further notice, and are streamed and recorded for viewing on the SoD Research Echo360 page.
Bacteriology Research Group
SoD hosts a monthly Bacteriology Research Group featuring discussions and presentations by faculty and staff in this field across the OHSU campus and beyond. Most sessions are held on the 3rd Friday of the month at 1:00 pm. Please contact Stephanie Momeni, Postdoctoral Scholar in Dr. Hui Wu's lab, for more information.