Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.
Dr. Tate specializes in caring for children and adults with serious medical conditions. He has advanced training in palliative medicine, a field committed to providing excellent symptom management and facilitating clear and thoughtful communication among patients, families, and medical teams. Dr. Tate’s favorite thing about palliative medicine is that he often gets to sit down with patients and their families and listen to their stories. He deeply values the relationships that he is able to build through his work.
From a scholarly perspective, his research lies at the intersection of philosophy, religion, literature and medical practice. As a practicing palliative care physician, Dr. Tate is interested in identifying and analyzing the conceptual foundations of palliative care with a special focus of suffering, flourishing and love, as well as language and metaphor use in the medical encounter. In addition, he is interested in the moral formation of clinicians and in how medical education can better cultivate compassionate and humanistic medical care.
- M.D., 2012, University of Alabama
- M.A., 2017, University of Washington
- Pediatrics, University of Washington/Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA, 2015
- Clinical Ethics, University of Washington/Seattle Children’s Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics, Seattle, WA, 2017
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC, 2018
- American Board of Pediatrics, 2015
- American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 2018
- Spanish (some)
Memberships and associations
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Society of Christian Ethics