Richard Deyo is OHSU Professor in the Department of Family Medicine at Oregon Health and Science University. Dr. Deyo is a 1971 graduate of Grinnell college. He completed Medical School at Penn State (Hershey Medical Center), and a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He then completed a research fellowship and MPH degree at the University of Washington as a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar.
Deyo is a Deputy Editor of Spine and a member of the Editorial Board of the Back Review Group of the Cochrane Collaboration. He is co-editor of the book Evidence-Based Clinical Practice: Concepts and Approaches. In 2004, he received the John M. Eisenberg Award for career achievement in research from the Society of General Internal Medicine. In 2015, He received the Wiltse Lifetime Achievement Award, International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine. He is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians.
Dr. Deyo has a long-standing research interest in measuring patient function, involving patients in clinical decisions, and managing low back pain. He has recently been studying inappropriate use of medical technology, and the commercial, political, and media forces that affect it. A resulting book, Hope or Hype: The Obsession with Medical Advances and the High Cost of False Promises, was published in 2005. His most recent book is Watch Your Back! How the back pain industry is costing us more and giving us less – and what you can do to inform and empower yourself in seeking treatment (Cornell University Press, 2014).Read more
Areas of interest
- Measuring patient function
- Involving patients in clinical decisions
- Managing low back pain
- Inappropriate use of medical technology, and the commercial, political, and media forces that affect it
- M.D., Pennsylvania State University -Hershey Medical Center, Hershey Pennsylvania United States 1975
- M.P.H., University of Washington, Seattle Washington United States 1981
- University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas (UTHSCSA)
- University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Washington
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
Honors and awards
- 2002, Elected to Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- 2004, John M. Eisenberg Award for Career Achievement in Research; Society of General Internal Medicine
- 2007, Grinnell College Alumni Award
- 2015, Wiltse Lifetime Achievement Award, International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine
Memberships and associations
- American College of Physicians; Fellow
- Society of General Internal Medicine:
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Deyo RA. The role of spinal manipulation in the treatment of low back pain. JAMA 2017; 317(14): 1418-1419. (editorial)
Deyo RA, Hallvik SE, Hildebran C, Marino M, Dexter E, Irvine JM, O'Kane N, Van Otterloo J, Wright DA, Leichtling G, Millet LM. Association between initial opioid prescribing patterns and subsequent long-term use among opioid-naïve patients: a statewide retrospective cohort study. J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32 (1): 21-27
Deyo RA, Mirza SK. Clinical Practice. Herniated Lumbar Intervertebral Disk. N Engl J Med 2016; 374: 1763-72.
Deyo RA, Ramsey K, Buckley DI, Michaels L, Kobus A, Eckstrom E, Forro V, Morris C. Performance of a Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) Short Form in Older Adults with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain. Pain Med. 2016; 17: 314-324.
Deyo RA. Can Parsimonious Practice Please Patients and Practitioners? The Case of Spine Imaging. J Gen Intern Med. 2016; 31; 140-141. (Editorial)
Deyo RA, Comstock BA, Turner JA, Heagerty P, Friedly J, Avins AL, Nedeljkovic SS, Nerenz DR, Jarvik JG. Trajectories of symptoms and function in older adults with low back disorders. Spine 2015; 40: 1352-62.
Deyo RA, Von Korff M, Durhkoop D. State of the Art Review: Opioids for low back pain. BMJ 2015; 350:g6380
Deyo RA. Fusion Surgery for lumbar degenerative disc disease: still more questions than answers. (Commentary) Spine J 2015; 15: 272-4.
Deyo RA, Dworkin SF, Amtmann D, Andersson G, Borenstein D, Carragee E, Carrino J, Chou R, Cook K, Delitto A, Goertz C, Khalsa P, Loeser J, Mackey S, Panagis J, Rainville J, Tosteson T, Turk D, Von Korff M, Weiner DK. Report of the NIH Task Force on Research Standards for Chronic Low Back Pain. J Pain 2014; 15: 569-85.
Deyo RA, Irvine J, Millet L, Beran T, O’Kane N, Wright D, McCarty D. Measures such as interstate cooperation would improve the efficacy of programs to track controlled drug prescriptions. Health Affairs 2013 Mar; 32(3): 603-613.
- "Variations in prescription drug monitoring program use by prescriber specialty." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment In: , Vol. 94, 01.11.2018, p. 35-40.
- "Effects of a prior authorization policy for extended-release/long-acting opioids on utilization and outcomes in a state Medicaid program." Addiction In: , Vol. 113, No. 9, 01.09.2018, p. 1651-1660.
- "Comparative Effectiveness of Usual Care With or Without Chiropractic Care in Patients with Recurrent Musculoskeletal Back and Neck Pain." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , 25.06.2018, p. 1-9.
- "Effect of a high dosage opioid prior authorization policy on prescription opioid use, misuse, and overdose outcomes." Substance Abuse In: , 14.05.2018, p. 1-8.
- "Correlates of Use and Perceived Effectiveness of Non-pharmacologic Strategies for Chronic Pain Among Patients Prescribed Long-term Opioid Therapy." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 33, 01.05.2018, p. 46-53.
- "Interdisciplinary team-based care for patients with chronic pain on long-term opioid treatment in primary care (PPACT) – Protocol for a pragmatic cluster randomized trial." Contemporary Clinical Trials In: , Vol. 67, 01.04.2018, p. 91-99.
- "Patterns and correlates of medical cannabis use for pain among patients prescribed long-term opioid therapy." General Hospital Psychiatry In: , Vol. 50, 01.01.2018, p. 104-110.
- "Long-term outcomes of a large, prospective observational cohort of older adults with back pain." Spine Journal In: , 01.01.2018.
- "High-risk prescribing and opioid overdose : Prospects for prescription drug monitoring program-based proactive alerts." Pain In: , Vol. 159, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 150-156.
- "Associations of Early Opioid Use with Patient-reported Outcomes and Health Care Utilization among Older Adults with Low Back Pain." Clinical Journal of Pain In: , Vol. 34, No. 4, 0557, 01.01.2018, p. 297-305.
- "Prevalence and Correlates of Low Pain Interference Among Patients With High Pain Intensity Who Are Prescribed Long-Term Opioid Therapy." Journal of Pain In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Use of prescription opioids before and after an operation for chronic pain (lumbar fusion surgery)." Pain In: , Vol. 159, No. 6, 01.01.2018, p. 1147-1154.
- "A Prospective Study of Back Pain and Risk of Falls Among Older Community-dwelling Men." The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences In: , Vol. 72, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 1264-1269.
- "Impact of Hospital “Best Practice” Mandates on Prescription Opioid Dispensing After an Emergency Department Visit." Academic Emergency Medicine In: , Vol. 24, No. 8, 01.08.2017, p. 905-913.
- "Conduct and reporting of a vertebroplasty trial warrants critical examination." Evidence-Based Medicine In: , Vol. 22, No. 3, 01.06.2017, p. 106-107.
- "Clinicians' Use of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs in Clinical Practice and Decision-Making." Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.) In: , Vol. 18, No. 6, 01.06.2017, p. 1063-1069.
- "Trends, Complications, and Costs for Hospital Admission and Surgery for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis." Spine In: , 24.04.2017.
- "The role of spinal manipulation in the treatment of low back pain." JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association In: , Vol. 317, No. 14, 11.04.2017, p. 1418-1419.
- "Nonpharmacologic therapies for low back pain : A systematic review for an American College of physicians clinical practice guideline." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 166, No. 7, 04.04.2017, p. 493-505.
- "Systemic pharmacologic therapies for low back pain : A systematic review for an American College of physicians clinical practice guideline." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 166, No. 7, 04.04.2017, p. 480-492.
- "Point of View Commentary on : Factors associated with financial relationships between spine surgeons and industry: An analysis of the Open Payments database." Spine In: , 31.03.2017.
- "Provider and patient perspectives on opioids and alternative treatments for managing chronic pain : a qualitative study." BMC Family Practice In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 164, 24.03.2017.
- "The feasibility of matching on a propensity score for acupuncture in a prospective cohort study of patients with chronic pain." BMC Medical Research Methodology In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 42, 16.03.2017.
- "Comparison of opioid prescribing patterns in the United States and Japan : Primary care physicians' attitudes and perceptions." Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine In: , Vol. 30, No. 2, 01.03.2017, p. 248-254.
- "Measurement Properties of the NIH-minimal Dataset Dutch Language Version in Patients With Chronic Low Back Pain." Spine In: , 28.02.2017.
- "Does Prescription Opioid Shopping Increase Overdose Rates in Medicaid Beneficiaries?" Annals of Emergency Medicine In: , 01.01.2017.
- "Association of Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Use With Opioid Prescribing and Health Outcomes : A Comparison of Program Users and Nonusers." Journal of Pain In: , 01.01.2017.
- "Effect of Automated Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Queries on Emergency Department Opioid Prescribing." Annals of Emergency Medicine In: , 01.01.2017.
- "Using prescription monitoring program data to characterize out-of-pocket payments for opioid prescriptions in a state Medicaid program." Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety In: , 2017.
- "Health Care Systems Support to Enhance Patient-Centered Care : Lessons from a Primary Care-Based Chronic Pain Management Initiative." The Permanente journal In: , Vol. 21, 2017.