About our teams
The OHSU Ambulatory Geriatrics Program provides primary and consultative care to older adults across the state of Oregon and beyond. All 12 of OHSU's Internal Medicine and Geriatrics Primary Care sites are recognized as an "Age-Friendly Health System – Commited to Care Excellence” by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. This distinction notes that OHSU:
- Is guided by an essential set of age-friendly, evidence-based practices across the 4Ms (What Matters, Medication, Mentation, and Mobility);
- Causes no harm; and
- Is consistent with What Matters to the older adult and their family.
We are honored to receive this recognition! Thanks to all of our providers, care givers, and staff for contributing to our success.
Inpatient Geriatrics Care
The OHSU Inpatient Geriatrics Program has been providing high quality geriatric care for older adults admitted to our hospital since 2015. Our team of geriatric specialists works hand in hand with medicine and surgical teams to reduce the hazards posed to older adults from the hospital environment and to adapt their care to their unique needs. We work with interdisciplinary teams to coordinate ongoing care needs after the hospital and make connections to primary care and other outpatient specialists with the goal of a smooth transition home. We also advocate for and assist with individualized advance care planning to ensure the care received supports the goals of every patient and their loved ones. Our team works side by side with the Trauma Surgery program to provide integrated geriatric care for older adults with injuries. This novel collaboration has been cited by the American College of Surgeons’ Trauma Verification program as a unique and significant asset to OHSU’s Trauma Program. Our inpatient staff are sought after educators and champions of system improvements to enhance the care received by all older adults at OHSU. We are involved in developing new care pathways like the hip fracture standard of care, improving cognitive care via development of delirium treatment protocols adapted to specific patient populations and adapting our electronic medical record to support safer prescribing for older adults.
The OHSU Long-Term Care Program includes two skilled nursing and long term care/memory care sites – The Mirabella and Holladay Park Plaza. We have built collaborative work groups at each site with an emphasis on team building and communication between long term care staff, on-site providers, and hospital care management teams. We also have a 2 week curriculum for interns that focuses on transitions of care in and out of skilled nursing. We explore geriatric syndromes, deprescribing, implicit bias as it relates to age, and social determinates of health as they related to geriatric populations. We also serve as a primary continuity long term care preceptorship site for geriatric fellows.
In the news
"Bedside tests for a 'slam dunk' delirium diagnosis." Written by Katie Drago. ACP Internist. November/December 2022.
“OHSU Doc talks falls prevention awareness week.” Interviewed by Emily Burris and Ken Boddie. KOIN Portland. September 23, 2021.
“Ease Winter Health Woes.” Written by Catherine Roberts. Consumer Reports. January 24, 2021.
“How to Protect Older People from the Coronavirus.” Written by Katie Hafner. The New York Times. March 14, 2020.
“Simple ways to prevent falls in older adults.” Interviewed by Luisa Torres. NPR Weekend Edition Sunday. July 14, 2019.
OHSU Geriatrics Program: US News and World Report Best Hospitals for Geriatrics 2012-23
AMDA Annual Meeting Best Case Report, 2022
-Briana Kjornes, PA-C
Tideswell Emerging Leaders in Aging Scholarship, 2022
-Laura Byerly, MD, Katie Schenning, MD, MPH
Geriatric Academic Career Award, 2019-2023
-Laura Byerly, MD
American College of Physicians Invited Fellowship, 2020
-Katie Drago, MD
Tideswell Emerging Leaders in Aging Scholarship, 2021
-Emily Morgan, MD
Clinical faculty named “Top Medical Providers,” Portland Monthly Magazine, between 2020-2022
-Nicholas Kinder, NP
-Juliana Bernstein, PA
-Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
-Lisa Miura, MD
-Jessica Wright, PA
-Katie Drago, MD
-Emily Morgan, MD
Oregon Society of Physician Assistants, PA of the Year Award, 2021
-Juliana Bernstein, PA
OHSU Marion Krippaehne Faculty Humanism Award, 2021
-Katie Drago, MD
OHSU Continuing Professional Development, Distinguished Lecturer, 2021
-Katie Drago, MD
OHSU Continuing Professional Development, Clinical Star Award, 2019-2020
-Leah Kalin, MD
OHSU Continuing Professional Development, Gold – Distinguished CME Educator Award, 2020
-Emily Morgan, MD
- Optimizing interprofessional geriatric education to build age friendly health systems in rural Oregon
PI: Laura Byerly, MD.
Career development award focused on interprofessional geriatric education projects at the undergraduate medical education and continuing medical education levels.
- Implementation of a Wound Healing Curriculum for Medical Students
PIs: E. Foy White-Chu MD, Enjae Jung, MD.
Evaluating feasibility of implementation of wound healing curriculum. This curriculum starts with online self-directed modules prior to hands on workshop. With COVID the curriculum was vastly changed from hands on workshop to virtual teaching. We will be contrasting/comparing the different modalities and efficacy in knowledge assessment.
- ADVANCE-PC (Aligning Dementia and adVANce Care planning Education in Primary Care)
PI: Annette Totten. Co-I. Eckstrom
Assessing the feasibility and acceptability of 1) a remote learning platform for primary care providers and teams about ACP in the context of dementia and 2) approaches to ACP procedures, documentation, and data that can be used to create pragmatic outcome measures for future research and quality improvement projects.
4. Palliative Care for the Cardiovascular clinician through American College of Cardiology LifeLong Learning Program.
PI: Sarah Goodlin
Identifying opportunities to apply principles of palliative care in cardiovascular care. Learners will employ strategies to alleviate distressing symptoms in patients with cardiovascular disease, identify strategies to improve advance care planning and symptom management in their own practices, and perform advance care planning with their cardiovascular patients.
- De Lima B, DeVane K, Drago K. Long-term impact of a geriatric prescribing context. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022.
- Morgan E, De Lima B, Pleet A, Eckstrom E. Health equity in an Age-Friendly Health System: Identifying potential care gaps. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glac060. PMID: 35271715.
- Drago K, De Lima B, Sharpe J, Eckstrom E. In pursuit of the Quadruple Aim: A geriatric prescribing context’s impact on clinician workflows and alert fatigue. J Appl Gerontol. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1177/07334648221079103. PMID: 35240037.
- Mahgouob AE, Tessema S, Nakhleh R. Normal ESR, CRP and platelet count in giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: A diagnostic conundrum. Eur J Case Rep Intern Med. 2022;9(2):003192. doi: 10.12890/2022_003192. PMID: 35265557.
- Tessema S, Mahgoub AE, Nakhleh R: Gout gone awry: The importance of proper diagnosis. Clin Case Rep. 2021 Dec 16;9(12):e05201. doi:10.1002/ccr3.5201. PMID:34963804
- Lin AL, Newgard C, Caughey AB, Malveau S, Dotson A, Eckstrom E. End-of-life orders, resource utilization, and costs among injured older adults requiring emergency services. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021 Sept;76(9):1686-1691. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glaa230. PMID: 32914190.
- Li F, Harmer P, Eckstrom E, et al. Efficacy of exercise-based interventions in preventing falls among community-dwelling older persons with cognitive impairment: Is there enough evidence? An updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Age Ageing. 2021 Sept;50(5):1557-1568. doi: 10.1093/ageing/afab110. PMID: 34120175.
- Luh C, Eckstrom E. Perceptions that influence acupuncture use in hospice settings: Results of a state-wide survey study. J Altern Complement Med. 2021 Sept;27(9):760-770. doi: 10.1089/acm.2021.0028. PMID: 34129378.
- Nakhleh R, Tessema S, Mahgoub AE: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease as a cause of dementia. BMJ Case Rep. 2021 May 11;14(5):e240020. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2020-240020. PMID: 33975835
- Crowe B, Eckstrom E, Lessing JN. Missed opportunity for fall prevention: A teachable moment. JAMA Intern Med. 2021 May 1;181(5):689-690. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2021.0221. PMID: 33749713.
- Batsis JA, Daniel K, Eckstrom E, et al. Promoting healthy aging during COVID-19. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2021 Mar;69(3):572-580. doi: 10.1111/jgs.17035. PMID: 33470421.
- Recognized as one of top 10 JAGS articles for 2021
- Byerly LK, Floren LC, Yukawa M, O'Brien BC. Getting outside the box: exploring role fluidity in interprofessional student groups through the lens of activity theory. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2021 Mar;26(1):253-275. doi: 10.1007/s10459-020-09983-w. Epub 2020 Jul. PMID: 32705403.
- Runkel KM, Rdesinski RE, Miura LN. Hospitalist perceptions of fall prevention: A comparison of two health care systems. Am J Med Qual. 2021 Jan-Feb 01;36(1):36-41.doi: 10.1177/1062860620917206. PMID: 32383632.
- Levin C, Morgan E, Kassakian S. et al. Increasing cognitive assessment rates in an internal medicine clinic: a quality improvement project. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 Jan;36(1):22-229. doi: 10.1007/s11606-019-05628-w. PMID: 31925738.
- Morgan E, De Lima B, Aleksandrova T, Sanders L, Eckstrom E. Overcoming barriers to early dementia diagnosis and management in primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 Aug;36(8):2486-2487. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-05967-z. Epub 2020 Jun 23. PMID: 32578015.
- Drago K. Ask – Adapt – Collaborate: An approach to individualizing acute care for people with dementia. J Gerontol Geriatr Med. 2021;7:108. doi: 10.24966/GGM-8662/100108.
- Rogers S, Haddad YK, Legha JK, Stannard D, Auerbach A, Eckstrom E. CDC STEADI: Best practices for developing an inpatient program to prevent older adult falls after discharge. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/pdf/STEADI-inpatient-guide-508.pdf
- Stout M, White-Chu F, Garcia D. Chapter: Pressure Injuries. In: Warshaw G, Potter J, Flaherty E, Heflin MT, McNabney MK, Ham R, eds. Ham’s Primary Care Geriatrics. 7th ed., Philadephia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2021.
- Hanson HA, Leiser CL, Bandoli G, et al. Charting the life course: Emerging opportunities to advance scientific approaches using life course research. J Clin Transl Sci.2021;5(1):e9. doi:10.1017/cts.2020.492. PMID: 33948236.
- Sobanski PZ, Krajnik M, Goodlin SJ. Palliative care for people living with heart disease- Does sex make a difference? Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021 Feb 5;8:629752. doi: 0.3389/fcvm.2021.629752. PMID: 33634172.
- Byerly LK, Floren LC, Yukawa M. Fostering interprofessional geriatric patient care skills for health professions students through a nursing facility-based immersion rotation. MedEdPORTAL. 2020 Dec 24;16:11059. doi: 10.15766/mep_2374-8265.11059. PMID: 33409357.
- Eckstrom E, Neukam S, Kalin L, Wright J. Physical activity and healthy aging. Clin Geriatr Med. 2020 Nov; 36(4): 671-683. doi: 10.1016/j.cger.2020.06.009. PMID: 33010902.
- Drago K, Sharpe J, De Lima B, Alhomod A, Eckstrom E. Safer prescribing for hospitalized older adults with an electronic health records-based prescribing context. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Sep;68(9):2123-2127. doi:10.1111/jgs.16640. PMID: 32573762.
- Thammana RV, Goodlin SJ. Telecommunication for advance care planning in heart failure. Card Fail Rev. 2022;8(e11). doi: 10.15420/cfr.2021.23
- Morgan E, Edstrom, K, Kjornes B. Age Friendly Health Systems Development in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care. Oral presentation at: The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine Annual Conference; March 2022; Baltimore, MD.
- Kjornes B. Overbasalization of Insulin, Recognition in the Numbers. Poster presentation at: The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine Annual Conference; March 2022; Baltimore, MD.
- Drago K. Too Many to Just Right: The How, When and Why of Deprescribing. Oral presentation at: The National Virtual Osteopathic Conference; February 2022; Virtual.
- Morgan E. Age-Friendly Innovations in Nursing Home Care. Invited speaker at: The Institute for Healthcare Improvement Friends of Age Friendly International Forum; January 20, 2022.
- Drago K, De Lima B, Eckstrom E. When “Ms” Collide: Medications and Mentation in an Age Friendly Neurology unit. Oral presentation at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement National Forum – Age Friendly Health Systems Session; December 5-8, 2021; Virtual.
- Morgan E, De Lima B, Pleet A, Eckstrom E. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in an Age-Friendly Health System. Virtual poster presentation at: The Gerontological Society of America 2021 Annual Scientific Meeting; November 10-13, 2021; Virtual.
- Goodlin, S. Palliative Care for the Cardiovascular Clinician. Oral presentation at: American College of Cardiology; August 16, 2021; Virtual.
- Wright J. Hospital Medicine: Quality, Safety, and Transitions of Care. Audio-Digest Internal Medicine. Volume 68, Issue 27. July 21, 2021.
- Drago K. It’s Raining Meds: An Approach to Medications in an Age Friendly Health System. Oral presentation at: IHI Age Friendly Health Systems Action Community; July 2021; Virtual.
- Goodlin, S. Tele-communication for Advance Care Planning and Decision-Making. Oral presentation at: American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions; May 17, 2021; Virtual.
- Drago K, Finucane T, Juthani-Mehta M, Wolfe A. “UTI” in the Microbiome Era. Oral presentation at: American Geriatrics Society Virtual Annual Scientific Meeting; May 13-15, 2021; Virtual.
- White-Chu EF. Geriatric Medicine and Wound Healing. Panelist at: American College of Wound Healing Tissue and Repair (ACWHTR) LIVE!; April 22-24, 2021; Virtual.
- Morgan E. STEADI Older adult fall prevention in ambulatory care. Invited speaker at: Vizient Patient Safety Falls Semi-Annual Meeting; April 14, 2021; Virtual.
- Byerly LK, Eckstrom E. Reducing access inequity to age-friendly care through an interprofessional geriatric behavioral health telementoring curriculum for rural primary care providers. Oral presentation at: The Virtual GEA Joint Regional Conference; April 2021; Virtual.
- Sheffrin M, Morgan-Gouveia M, Drago K, Harris P. Update in Geriatric Medicine. Oral presentation at: Society of General Internal Medicine Virtual Annual Conference; April 2021; Virtual.