Recent Publications by Geriatric Faculty
- Morgan, EA, Driving Evaluation: When and How to Take Away the Keys. Audio Digest Family Medicine 71:20 (May 28), 2023.
- Thiamwong L, Tongsiri S, Suwanno J, Xie R, Ng BP, Park J, Li W, Eckstrom E. Cultural Adaptation and Pilot Testing of the CDC’s Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths, and Injuries (STEADI) Program for Older Adults in a Low and Middle-Income Country . Preprints.org 2023, 2023050842. doi: 10.20944/preprints202305.0842.v1
- Eckstrom, E., Zauflik, M., & De Lima, B. Matching Enrolled Trial Participants to Disease Demographics: Using IRB Submissions to Identify Opportunities for Researcher Training. J Clin Transl Sci. 2023;7(1):e114. doi:10.1017/cts.2023.539
- Thomas J, Eckstrom E, Lam WKK, et al. Recommendations for using the 5Ts Framework to support research inclusion across the lifespan. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2023; 1- 5. doi:10.1111/jgs.18359
- Kakara RS, Lee R, Eckstrom EN. Cause-Specific Mortality Among Adults Aged ≥65 Years in the United States, 1999 Through 2020 [published online ahead of print, 2023 Mar 11]. Public Health Rep. 2023;333549231155869. doi:10.1177/00333549231155869
- Winters-Stone KM, Horak F, Dieckmann NF, Eckstrom, E, et al. GET FIT: A Randomized Clinical Trial of Tai Ji Quan Versus Strength Training for Fall Prevention After Chemotherapy in Older, Postmenopausal Women Cancer Survivors [published online ahead of print, 2023 Mar 8]. J Clin Oncol. 2023;JCO2201519. doi:10.1200/JCO.22.01519
- Rosenberg M, Eckstrom E. Factors that promote resilience for older adults and their informal caregivers during the COVID-19 pandemic [published online ahead of print, 2023 Feb 10]. Aging Ment Health. 2023;1-8. doi:10.1080/13607863.2023.2176819
- LeCroy MN, Potter LN, Bandeen-Roche K, Eckstrom, E, et al. Barriers to and solutions for representative inclusion across the lifespan and in life course research: The need for structural competency highlighted by the COVID-19 pandemic. J Clin Transl Sci. 2022;7(1):e38. Published 2022 Dec 6. doi:10.1017/cts.2022.510
- Nohner M, De Lima B, Drago K. Validating ICD-10 codes for adverse drug events in hospitalised older adults: protocol for a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2022;12(11):e062853. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2022-062853. PMID: 36323472
- Eckstrom E, De Lima B. There Is No Magic Pill to Prevent Frailty—You Still Have to Eat Your Vegetables. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(9):e2231147. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.31147
- Gould L, White-Chu EF. Can technology change the status quo for pressure injury prevention? Br J Dermatol. 2022 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/bjd.21714. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35882383
- LaVasseur C, Neukam S, Kartika T, Samuelson Bannow B, Shatzel J, DeLoughery TG. Hormonal therapies and venous thrombosis: Considerations for prevention and management. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2022 Aug 23;6(6):e12763. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12763. PMID: 36032216.
- King M, De Lima B, Emlen E, Eckstrom E. Patient experiences of the Serious Illness Conversation Guide in a primary care setting. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Jul 12. doi: 10.1111/jgs.17943. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35819190.
- Choxi H, VanDerSchaaf H, Li Y, Morgan E. Telehealth and the Digital Divide: Identifying Potential Care Gaps in Video Visit Use. J Med Syst. 2022 Jul 30;46(9):58. doi: 10.1007/s10916-022-01843-x. PMID: 35906432.
- Morgan-Gouveia M, Drago K, Harris P and Sheffrin M. Geriatric medicine in the 2020s: An update for internists. Cleve Clin J Med. 2022;89(11):617-624. doi:10.3949/ccjm.89a.21094. PMID: 36319045
- De Lima B, DeVane K, Drago K. Long-term impact of a geriatric prescribing context. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Aug; 70(8): 2291-2297. doi: 10.1111/jgs.17799. PMID: 35420159.
- Morgan E, De Lima B, Pleet A, Eckstrom E. Health equity in an Age-Friendly Health System: Identifying potential care gaps. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glac060. PMID: 35271715.
- Drago K, De Lima B, Sharpe J, Eckstrom E. In pursuit of the Quadruple Aim: A geriatric prescribing context’s impact on clinician workflows and alert fatigue. J Appl Gerontol. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1177/07334648221079103. PMID: 35240037.
- Mahgouob AE, Tessema S, Nakhleh R. Normal ESR, CRP and platelet count in giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: A diagnostic conundrum. Eur J Case Rep Intern Med. 2022;9(2):003192. doi: 10.12890/2022_003192. PMID: 35265557.
Selected education projects
- A Novel Curriculum to Train Physician Assistant Students to Become Healthcare Leaders
PI: Jessica Wright, PA
Designed curriculum for PA students to receive an introduction to leadership skills and assessed the impact of the pilot on comfort engaging in difficult conversations with a significant power differential, comfort using tools for healthcare system change, and comfort in being and effective listener.
- Optimizing interprofessional geriatric education to build age friendly health systems in rural Oregon
PI: Laura Byerly, MD.
Career development award focused on interprofessional geriatric education projects at the undergraduate medical education and continuing medical education levels.
- Implementation of a Wound Healing Curriculum for Medical Students
PIs: E. Foy White-Chu MD, Enjae Jung, MD.
Evaluating feasibility of implementation of wound healing curriculum. This curriculum starts with online self-directed modules prior to hands on workshop. With COVID the curriculum was vastly changed from hands on workshop to virtual teaching. We will be contrasting/comparing the different modalities and efficacy in knowledge assessment.
- ADVANCE-PC (Aligning Dementia and adVANce Care planning Education in Primary Care)
PI: Annette Totten. Co-I. Eckstrom
Assessing the feasibility and acceptability of 1) a remote learning platform for primary care providers and teams about ACP in the context of dementia and 2) approaches to ACP procedures, documentation, and data that can be used to create pragmatic outcome measures for future research and quality improvement projects.
Selected Research Projects
- Burden of swallowing impairment on caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease
PI: Samantha Shune. Co-I: Elizabeth Eckstrom
This proposed Phase 0 research study aims to integrate proactive dysphagia-related caregiver burden reduction into standard clinical practices.
- Advancing Capacity to Integrate Exercise into Care of Older Cancer Survivors
PI: Kerri Winters-Stone. Co-I: Elizabeth Eckstrom
The goal of this project is to develop a research infrastructure to advance studies of exercise to improve functioning in older cancer survivors.
- Engaging older adults in fall prevention using Motivational Interviewing
PI: Hiroko Kiyoshi-Teo. Mentor: Elizabeth Eckstrom
Patient-oriented research assessing motivational interviewing as a way to enhance compliance with recommended fall prevention strategies in older adults.
- OHSU Internal Medicine & Geriatrics Medication Optimization
PI: Emily Morgan
Deprescribing high-risk medication in primary care through provider education, panel review, and decision tree model of intervention.
- Age-Friendly Health System and Equity
PI: Emily Morgan
Identifying health disparities and care gaps in geriatric care. Findings will help us move towards equitable health care.
- ACP across primary care at Hillsboro Medical Center
PI: Nicolas Johnson. Co-I: Rasha Nakhleh.
Educating medical providers and residents in advance care planning.
- Epic Geriatric Prescribing Context
PI: Katie Drago, MD
This work aims to automate geriatric best practice prescribing principles by embedding changes into the inpatient EHR. The context automatically recommends safer alternative dose and frequency defaults for patients based on age.
- Delirium & High-Risk Prescribing
PI: Katie Drago, MD
Leveraging Mission Control real-time alerts for high-risk medications to enhance thoughtful prescribing for cognitively vulnerable hospitalized adults
- Age-Friendly Health System
PI: Katie Drago, MD, Emily Morgan, MD
Ensure continuing quality improvement related to 4Ms care with the goal that every older adult across OHSU receives high quality 4Ms care. Committed to Care Excellence status achieved 12/2020.
- Age-Friendly Research
PI: Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
Building infrastructure and research team skills to enhance inclusion of older adults.
- Advance Care Planning as part of Health Maintenance in Primary Care
PI: Neesha Patel, MD
Understanding how the Advance Care Planning and Portable Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment Health Maintenance Modifiers impacted primary care clinics and how we can learn from that implementation.
- Dementia Diagnosis in Primary Care
PI: Allison Lindauer, PhD, APRN and Emily Morgan, MD
To build confidence of primary care clinicians in identifying and diagnosing dementia.
- Optimizing anesthesia to prevent postoperative cognitive and functional decline in older adults
PI: Katie Schenning, MD, MCR
To determine which anesthetic agent, gas or IV, best preserves cognition and function in older adults.