Publications and ongoing research
Recent publications by geriatric faculty
- Nohner M, De Lima B, Drago K. Validating ICD-10 codes for adverse drug events in hospitalised older adults: protocol for a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2022;12(11):e062853. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2022-062853. PMID: 36323472
- Eckstrom E, De Lima B. There Is No Magic Pill to Prevent Frailty—You Still Have to Eat Your Vegetables. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(9):e2231147. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.31147
- Gould L, White-Chu EF. Can technology change the status quo for pressure injury prevention? Br J Dermatol. 2022 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/bjd.21714. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35882383
- LaVasseur C, Neukam S, Kartika T, Samuelson Bannow B, Shatzel J, DeLoughery TG. Hormonal therapies and venous thrombosis: Considerations for prevention and management. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2022 Aug 23;6(6):e12763. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12763. PMID: 36032216.
- King M, De Lima B, Emlen E, Eckstrom E. Patient experiences of the Serious Illness Conversation Guide in a primary care setting. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Jul 12. doi: 10.1111/jgs.17943. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35819190.
- Choxi H, VanDerSchaaf H, Li Y, Morgan E. Telehealth and the Digital Divide: Identifying Potential Care Gaps in Video Visit Use. J Med Syst. 2022 Jul 30;46(9):58. doi: 10.1007/s10916-022-01843-x. PMID: 35906432.
- Morgan-Gouveia M, Drago K, Harris P and Sheffrin M. Geriatric medicine in the 2020s: An update for internists. Cleve Clin J Med. 2022;89(11):617-624. doi:10.3949/ccjm.89a.21094. PMID: 36319045
- De Lima B, DeVane K, Drago K. Long-term impact of a geriatric prescribing context. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Aug; 70(8): 2291-2297. doi: 10.1111/jgs.17799. PMID: 35420159.
- Morgan E, De Lima B, Pleet A, Eckstrom E. Health equity in an Age-Friendly Health System: Identifying potential care gaps. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glac060. PMID: 35271715.
- Drago K, De Lima B, Sharpe J, Eckstrom E. In pursuit of the Quadruple Aim: A geriatric prescribing context’s impact on clinician workflows and alert fatigue. J Appl Gerontol. 2022 Mar. doi: 10.1177/07334648221079103. PMID: 35240037.
- Mahgouob AE, Tessema S, Nakhleh R. Normal ESR, CRP and platelet count in giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: A diagnostic conundrum. Eur J Case Rep Intern Med. 2022;9(2):003192. doi: 10.12890/2022_003192. PMID: 35265557.
Selected research projects
- 80VIP (80 Years and Older Vision & Hearing Important Persons Project)
PI: Steve Mansberger. Co-I: Elizabeth Eckstrom
Building tools and strategies to improve inclusion of adults over age 80 with hearing and vision impairment in research.
2. Engaging older adults in fall prevention using Motivational Interviewing
PI: Hiroko Kiyoshi-Teo. Mentor: Elizabeth Eckstrom
Patient-oriented research assessing motivational interviewing as a way to enhance compliance with recommended fall prevention strategies in older adults.
3. OHSU Internal Medicine & Geriatrics Medication Optimization
PI: Emily Morgan
Deprescribing high-risk medication in primary care through provider education, panel review, and decision tree model of intervention.
4. Age-Friendly Health System and Equity
PI: Emily Morgan
Identifying health disparities and care gaps in geriatric care. Findings will help us move towards equitable health care.
5. Implementation of an Electronic Care Plan for People with Multiple Chronic Conditions
PI: David Dorr. Co-I: Emily Morgan.
RTI International and OHSU will design and implement a pilot test to assess the AHRQ and NIDDK’s e-care plan application’s usefulness for patients with chronic kidney disease and at least one other chronic illness. We will determine whether the application facilitates standardized data collection and data sharing across clinical and community settings and systems.
6. ACP across primary care at Hillsboro Medical Center
PI: Nicolas Johnson. Co-I: Rasha Nakhleh.
Educating medical providers and residents in advance care planning.
7. Epic Geriatric Prescribing Context
PI: Katie Drago, MD
This work aims to automate geriatric best practice prescribing principles by embedding changes into the inpatient EHR. The context automatically recommends safer alternative dose and frequency defaults for patients based on age.
8. Delirium & High-Risk Prescribing
PI: Katie Drago, MD
Leveraging Mission Control real-time alerts for high-risk medications to enhance thoughtful prescribing for cognitively vulnerable hospitalized adults
9. Age-Friendly Health System
PI: Katie Drago, MD, Emily Morgan, MD
Ensure continuing quality improvement related to 4Ms care with the goal that every older adult across OHSU receives high quality 4Ms care. Committed to Care Excellence status achieved 12/2020.
10. Age-Friendly Research
PI: Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
Building infrastructure and research team skills to enhance inclusion of older adults.
11. Advance Care Planning as part of Health Maintenance in Primary Care
PI: Neesha Patel, MD
Understanding how the Advance Care Planning and Portable Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment Health Maintenance Modifiers impacted primary care clinics and how we can learn from that implementation
12. Dementia Diagnosis in Primary Care
PI: Allison Lindauer, PhD, APRN and Emily Morgan, MD
To build confidence of primary care clinicians in identifying and diagnosing dementia.
13. Optimizing anesthesia to prevent postoperative cognitive and functional decline in older adults
PI: Katie Schenning, MD, MCR
To determine which anesthetic agent, gas or IV, best preserves cognition and function in older adults.