Sports medicine updates for the physical therapist
Join us for the 5th Annual Physical Therapy Sports Medicine Symposium on Saturday, April 6th. This one-day continuing education seminar is presented by OHSU Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation. The courses in this year's symposium will cover some of the latest sports medicine concepts in physical therapy.
Videos of the presentations
- Tendon Pain - an Updated Understanding of Mechanisms and PT Rehabilitation
- Achilles Injuries and Impact on the Rehabilitation Options
- Throwers Elbow – Management and Treatment Options
- The Pop Can Theory of Lumbopelvic Hip Complex
- Female Athlete Triad
- When Does Your Runner Need a Medical Work Up?
- Cycling Assessment – Saddle Analysis
Note: Due to conflicts of interest, two of the afternoon presentations are not available for viewing.
Tendon Pain - An Update on Mechanisms and Rehabilitation
- Matt Walsh, B.Sc., P.T.
Achilles Injuries and Impact on the Rehabilitation Options
- James Meeker, M.D.
Throwers Elbow – Management and Treatment Options
- Adam Mirarchi, M.D.
The Pop Can Theory of Lumbopelvic Hip Complex
- Jessica Dorrington, D.P.T.
Female Athlete Triad
- Melissa Novak, D.O.
- Blaise Williams, P.T., Ph.D.
When Does Your Runner Need a Medical Work Up?
- Ryan Norton, M.D.
Cycling Assessment – Saddle Analysis
- Annalisa Fish, D.P.T.
Rebuilding the Foot
- Jay Dicharry, P.T.
|7 - 7:50 a.m.||Registration and breakfast|
|7:50 - 8 a.m.||Welcome and opening remarks||Ryan Petering, M.D.|
|8 - 8:40 a.m.||Tendon Pain – An Updated Understanding of Mechanisms and PT Rehabilitation||Matt Walsh, B.Sc., P.T.|
|8:40 - 9:20 a.m.||Achilles Injuries and Impact on the Rehabilitation Options||James Meeker, M.D.|
|9:20 - 10:05 a.m.||Throwers Elbow – Management and Treatment Options||Adam Mirarchi, M.D.|
|10:05 - 10:30 a.m.||Break|
|10:30 - 11:15 a.m.||The Pop Can Theory of Lumbopelvic Hip Complex||Jessica Dorrington D.P.T.|
|11:15 -Noon||Female Athlete Triad||Melissa Novak, D.O.|
|Noon - 1:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|1 - 2 p.m.||Running Readiness||Blaise Williams P.T., Ph.D.|
|2 - 2:45 p.m.||When Does Your Runner Need a Medical Work Up?||Ryan Norton, M.D.|
|2:45 - 3 p.m.||Break|
|3 - 4 p.m.||Cycling Assessment –Saddle Analysis||Annalisa Fish, D.P.T.|
|4 - 5 p.m.||Rebuilding the Foot||Jay Dicharry, P.T.|
|5 - 5:10 p.m.||Closing remarks|
The learning objectives for the symposium are:
- Build understanding of the origin of tendon pain
- Understand the different approaches to achilles tendon treatment based on pathology
- Develop evaluation approach to elbow pain in throwers
- Learn about novel approaches to lumbopelvic pain syndromes
- Review the Female Athlete Triad and impacts on athlete wellness.
- Explore the Running Readiness scale as a tool to assess runner readiness to return to running following injury.
- Discuss indications that may indicate a runner needs a medical work up
- Review rehab approaches forces on the foot –building the foundation
- Understand the role of the saddle and the rider in assessing cyclists
A certificate of attendance for 8.25 hours of education will be provided to all attendees. The credit may be provided to the appropriate reporting board as proof of participation. Category D credit for non-approved provider for Athletic Trainers.
Through March 23:
$150 (includes breakfast and lunch)
After March 23:
$200 (includes breakfast and lunch)
You may cancel your registration by March 29, 2019 for a 100% refund. After that, no refunds will be given. Please email email@example.com for help in getting a refund for your registration.
Free parking for attendees is available at the OHSU Schnitzer Parking Lot located at 2200 S.W. Moody Ave. For driving directions, please see the map .
The Residence Inn Portland Downtown/RiverPlace is offering a special group rate for attendees of the 2019 OHSU PT Sports Medicine Symposium.
Start date: 4/5/19
End date: 4/8/19
Last day to book: 3/15/19
- Residence Inn Portland Downtown/RiverPlace for $169 USD per night
- Register on or before March 23, 2019 for $150
- Includes breakfast and lunch
- Cost to register after March 23, 2019 is $200
Contact Dina Girgenti-Iida, OHSU Provider Relations Manager, for more information.
- (971) 244-2189
Date and time
Saturday, April 6, 2019
7:00 a.m. - 5:10 p.m.
Robertson Life Sciences Building
2730 S.W. Moody Avenue
Portland, OR 97201
Through March 23: $150
After March 23: $200
(both include breakfast and lunch)
OHSU Provider Relations Manager