Bruce Goldberg, MD
Bruce Goldberg, MD
Senior Fellow, Center for Health Systems Effectiveness
Senior Associate Director, Oregon Rural Practice Based Research Network
Professional career dedicated to improving the organization, delivery and financing of health services.
Extensive experience in developing, implementing and managing health programs and state health policy.
Served two Oregon governors as the Director of the Oregon Department of Human Services from November 2005 through February 2011, then led the formation of the Oregon Health Authority from February 2011 through 2013.
Led Oregon's nationally recognized health reforms transforming Oregon's Medicaid system to one based on a model of coordinated care. In addition helped lead efforts to implement the Affordable Care Act, establish Oregon's Healthy Kids program providing health coverage for all children, improve Oregon's mental health system and transform the delivery of public human services to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
Experiences span time as an administrator of large complex organizations, a practicing clinician, teacher/academician, a county health officer, medical director for a Medicaid managed care organization, Director of Community Health Services for the US Public Health Services in Zuni, New Mexico. Was a faculty member at Oregon Health and Sciences University for more than15 years.
- MD, 1982, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York
- Residency in Family Medicine, 1982‑1985, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina
- 1994 U.S. Public Health Service Primary Care Policy Fellow
- BS, 1977, Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut
- Galloway JM, Goldberg BW, Alpert JS. Primary Care of Native American Patients: diagnosis, therapy, and epidemiology. Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1999.
Peer reviewed journals:
- Greenlick MR, Goldberg B, Lopes P, Tallon J. Health Policy Roundtable – View from the state legislature: translating research into policy. Health Serv Res, 2005:40(2):337-46.
- Hartung DM, Touchette DR, Ketchum KL, Haxby DG, Goldberg BW. Effects of a prior-authorization policy for celecoxib on medical service and prescription drug use in a managed care Medicaid population. Clin Ther. 2004:26(9):1518-32.
- Haas M, Goldberg B, Aickin M, Ganger B, Attwood M. A practice-based study of patients with acute and chronic low back pain attending primary care and chiropractic physicians: two-week to 48-month follow-up. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2004:27(3):160-9.
- Cary AH, Goldberg B, McDaniel S. Consumer Views of Primary Care: An Action Agenda. Am J Nurse Practitioners, 2003;7(10):9-23.
- Stano M, Haas M, Goldberg B, Traub PM, Nyiendo J. Chiropractic and Medical Care Costs of Low Back Care: Results from a Practice-Based Observational Study. Am J Managed Care, 2002;8:802-9.
- Nyiendo J., Haas M., Goldberg B., Sexton G. Pain, disability, and satisfaction as predictors of outcomes: A Practice-based Study of Primary Care and Chiropractic Physicians. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2001;24(7):433-9.
- Nyiendo J., Haas M., Goldberg B., Lloyd C A Descriptive Study of Medical and Chiropractic Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain and Sciatica: Management by Physicians (practice activities) and Patients (self-management). Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2001;24(9):543-51.
- Nyiendo J., Haas M., Goldberg B., Sexton G. Patient Characteristics and Physician's Practice Activities for Chronic Low Back Pain Patients: A Practice-based Study of Primary Care and Chiropractic Physicians. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2001;24(2):92-100.
- Reynolds ER, Boyce RW, Haxby DG, Goldberg BW, Stennet DJ. Intervention Assessment in an Indian Health Service Pharmacy. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, 2000;40:41-45.
- Sippel J., Osborne M., Bjornson W., Goldberg B., Buist S. Smoking Cessation in Primary Care Clinics: A Randomized Trial of AHCPR Guidelines and Spirometry. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 1999;14:670-676.
- Goldberg B. Managed Care and Public Health Departments: Who is Responsible for the Health of the Population? Annu. Rev. Public Health, 1998;19:527-37.
- Goldberg B. Preventing Firearm Violence. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. 1997;1:99-111.
- Goldberg B, Whitlock E, Greenlick M. Firearm Ownership and Health Care Workers.
- Public Health Reports, 1996;111:256-259.
- Goldberg B, von Boorstel E, Dennis L, Wall E. Firearm Injury Risk Among Primary Care Patients. J. of Fam Prac, 1995;41:158-162.
- Carey AH, Goldberg B, Jobe AC, McCann T, Skupien MB, Troxel TM, Williams DR. Researching Non-Financial Barriers to Primary Health Care. J of Family and Community Health, 1995;18:69-74.
- Wall E, Goldberg B. Children's Health: Priorities, Responsibilities, and Health Policy. J. Am Board of Family Practice, 1994;7:447-449.
- Mahaffy J, Goldberg B, Girard D. A Rural Multidisciplinary Clerkship in Primary Care. Academic Medicine, 1994;69:422-423.
- Rodriguez G, Goldberg B. Rehabilitation in the Outpatient Setting. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 1993;9:873-881.
- Benjamin E, Gershman M, Goldberg B. Group A Beta Hemolytic Streptococcal Infections in Zuni Indians. Archive of Int Medicine, 1992;152:1881‑1884.
- Grebe T, Doane W, Richter S, Clercuzio C, Norman R, Seltzer W, Rhodes S, Goldberg B, Hernried L, McClure M, Kaplan G. Mutation Analysis of the Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Gene in Native American Populations of the Southwest. Am J Hum
- Genetics, 1992;51:736‑740.
- Goldberg B. Population Based Medicine. In:Taylor RB, editor. Family medicine: principles and practice, 6th ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2003
Goldberg B. Health Maintenance for Infants and Children. In Taylor RB., (Ed);
- Manual of Family Practice, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2002..
- Goldberg B., Napolitano M., The Health of Seasonal and Migrant Farm Workers. In: Loue S. and Quill B: Handbook of Rural Health. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2001.
- Goldberg B., Melnick A. Family Medicine and Public Health. In: Saultz J: Textbook of Family Medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000.
- Napolitano M., Goldberg B. Migrant Health. In: Loue S. Handbook of Immigrant Health. New York: Plenum Press, 1998.
- Goldberg B. Measuring Health Care Quality: The Process and Outcomes of Care. In: Hanes PH and Greenlick MR. The science and art of developing consumer scorecards. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1998.
- Goldberg B. Population Based Medicine. In:Taylor RB, editor. Family medicine: principles and practice, 5th ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1998
- Goldberg B. Preventing Firearm Violence. In: Hamberger KL, editor. Violence Issues for Health Care Educators and Providers. New York: The Haworth Press, Inc., 1997
- Goldberg B. Health Maintenance During Infancy and Childhood. In Taylor RB., (Ed);
- Manual of Family Practice, Little Brown and Company Inc., 1996.
- Rodriguez G, Goldberg B. Venous Thromboembolism. In Taylor RB. (Ed): Family Medicine, New York: Springer Verlag, 1994.