Anam Hamid, MD
- Medical School: Dow Medical College, Pakistan
- Interests: Hematopathology and blood banking; I enjoy cooking, sketching, hiking, traveling (especially road trips), and spending time with my family and friends.
- Favorite spot in Portland: Mount Hood and Multnomah Falls
- Fun fact: I used to do theatre performance in my school and arranging/ participating in quiz and debate competitions. In my free time I love cooking and of course I like pathology.
Genevieve “Vivi” Parecki, MD
- Medical School: Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine
- Interests: Performing arts, aerial silks, cheese making, board games/game design, electric mobility, gardening, improving my Wordle game, cheering on the Portland Thorns!
- Favorite spot in Portland: Sellwood. Or the ride on the aerial tram.
- Fun fact: I spent 5 years dancing ballet professionally with Ballet Nebraska (now American Midwest Ballet) and Ballet Vero Beach where my roles included the infamous Black Swan.
Connor Thellman, MD
- Medical School: University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Interests: Climbing, skiing, playing percussion, and cooking
- Favorite spot in Portland: Mt. Tabor
- Fun fact: I grew up on a farm in Kansas that has turned into a "pizza farm," which uses as many ingredients as possible from the surrounding fields.
Max Knapp, MD
- Undergraduate: Yale University
- Medical School: Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
- Interests: Hiking, crochet, gaming, cooking
- Favorite Spot in Portland: Anywhere you can see Mount Hood (so, most of Portland)
- Fun fact: If you bring up Thanksgiving traditions with me around you’ll usually get a twenty minute lecture on why all turkeys must be butterflied.
Zhengchun Lu, MD, MSc, PhD
- Undergraduate: n/a
- Medical School: Jiangsu University School of Medicine, Zhenjiang, Jiangsu, China
- Interests: Molecular Pathology, Hematopathology, GI pathology and Clinical Microbiology
- Favorite spot in Portland: Hoyt Arboretum
- Fun fact: My hometown (Zhenjiang, China) is famous for making black rice vinegar. The Zhenjiang Vinegar (aka Chinkiang Vinegar) is the most well-known and recognized product in Chinese cuisine. No matter which continent you live on, any authentic Asian grocery store will carry this product.
Douglas (Doug) Preston, MD, PhD
- Undergraduate: B.S. Chemical Engineering, New Mexico State Univerisity
- Medical School: Oregon Health & Science University
- Interests: Playing almost any sport, BBQ with friends, trying to learn a bit of Russian, and machine learning
- Favorite spot in Portland: The Bartini, Urban Fondue, Silver Dollar triangle.
- Fun fact: My cat leapt out of a 8th floor apartment window, fully recovered, and lived to meow the tale.
Paula J. Babb, DO
- Undergraduate: B.S. in Molecular Biology and Minor in Chemistry, Eastern Oregon University
- Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences of the Pacific Northwest, Oregon
- Interests: Regarding Pathology: Cytology, Gynecologic and GI Pathology. Regarding everything else and life in general: I enjoy hiking, skiing, biking, backpacking, art and spending time with my wonderful friends and loving family!
- Favorite spot in Portland: Hoyt Arboretum, Tryon Creek park or anywhere else with a trail, some water and lots of trees!
- Fun fact: I used to fight Wildland Fire for the US Forest Service before going to medical school. I eventually become a Helicopter Rappeller, which was an absolutely amazing way to get to some really remote places in the woods. These were very formative years for me and the stories I have are plentiful. My personal path to finding a love for Pathology was winding, and as I have learned, this is not an uncommon phenomena. Also, there are 1,400 species of bats, the largest of them is the golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus) found only in the Philippines. These bats have a wingspan of 5 feet 6 inches!
Eric Nomura, MD
- Undergraduate: Colorado College
- Medical School: Oregon Health & Science University
- Interests: Within pathology I have an interest in hematopathology. In my home life my main interest is spending time with my wife and our dog, and together we enjoy many of the delights Oregon has to offer: I love to forage wild edible mushrooms in the spring and fall, explore different cultures through travel and food, identify and photograph plants and animals while hiking and backpacking. More recently, I’ve taken up growing tropical ferns from spores I’ve collected on past travels and propagating my own tropical house plants. Each fall I usually buy 500lbs of apples, press and ferment them, and make hard cider. This year I am going to try my hand at making wine and mead. Then there is the obligatory Oregon outdoor scene; I love to resort and backcountry ski, climb mountains, go for long runs, surf, skateboard, and rock climb.
- Favorite spot in Portland: Wildwood Trail, Forest Park
- Fun fact: Before medical school I ran a screen printing and design company with a friend and together we created the “Philosoraptor” as a t-shirt design which became one of the earlier internet memes and has spawned statues, tattoos, knockoffs, and very nearly a Taco Bell Super Bowl ad.
Benjamin F. Smith, MD
- Undergraduate: Tufts University, majored in Community Health & American Studies
- Medical School: The Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
- Interests: Riding my bike, hiking, reading, wordplay, fermentation
- Favorite spot in Portland: Kenilworth Park
- Fun fact: I’m a certified yoga teacher
Alaaeddin Alrohaibani, MD
- Medical School: Batterjee Medical College for Sciences and Technology
- Interests: Running and soccer
- Favorite spot in Portland: St. Johns Bridge
- Fun fact: I am in a relationship with coffee and I support the Drogba legend team: Chelsea FC
Robert Christian, MD, MS
- Undergraduate: Kansas State University, degrees in Biology and Anthropology
- Medical School: University of Kansas
- Interests: Transfusion medicine, GI pathology, hiking, kayaking, being outdoors, baking
- Favorite spot in Portland: Forest Park
- Fun fact: I used to work as an archaeologist
Hetal Gujaria, MD, MBBS
- Undergraduate: Bhavan’s College of Science , Arts and Commerce, Mumbai, India
- Medical School: M.I.M.E.R Medical College, Maharashtra, India
- Interests: Dermatopathology, Hematopathology and Molecular Pathology
- Favorite spot in Portland: International Rose Test Garden
- Fun fact: I love spending time with my family and friends, and traveling. I also like reading ancient Vedic scriptures and literature.
Words that I live by: “Be… don’t try to become”
Words that I wish to live by: “Tomorrow never comes, it is always today”
Cristina Magallanes Hoyos, MD
- Medical School: Universidad Popular del Estado de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico
- Interests: Molecular, Microbiology and Hematopathology Research, Informatics Pathology. Pathology Advocacy. The CAP, I am a member of the RFEC, HOD committee and Curriculum committee.
Inclusion and Diversity, I am a member of the OHSU Residents and Fellows Diversity committee and the GMEC Diversity and inclusion subcommittee.
Outside Pathology, Love playing console games, The Witcher and BOTW are my favs. I am a geek for Star Wars stuff. Love cooking but not doing the dishes ha-ha. I love swimming.
- Favorite spot in Portland: It’s so difficult to pick a spot since every square root in Portland is so beautiful. I will go with all the amazing trails PDX has within the city or its surroundings, being able to just get lost in the woods within the city is an incredible way to recharge and reconnect.
- Fun fact: I love Elmo memes and any random funny meme that I can find on google, I love sushi, I am big fan of FC Barcelona soccer team. In another life I could have been a sports commentator or a team manager, If I have to pick a position it will be midfielder, like the great Xavi Hernandez. I like to wear different pairs of glasses just to keep life fun and interesting.