Paula J. Babb, DO
- Undergraduate: Eastern Oregon University
- Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences of the Pacific Northwest
- Interests: Gynecologic Pathology, Blood Bank and Transfusion Medicine and Molecular Pathology. When not working I enjoy hiking, biking, backpacking, art and spending time with friends and family!
- Favorite spot in Portland: Hoyt Arboretum
- Fun fact: Previous career with the US Forest Service as a Wildland Firefighter, Helicopter Rappeller
Anfisa Baiandurova, MD
- Undergraduate: I never went to college as we go to medical school right after high school in Russia.
- Medical School: Rostov State Medical University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia
- Interests: I have a soul of a writer and love to write notes about memorable events that I witnessed or about topics that I am interested in and want to dig deeper. This is my way to explore the world and organize my knowledge of any kind. I also like reading, mostly classic books and autobiographies. Agatha Christie’s Autobiography is my all-time favorite. Since I don't want to turn into a complete bookworm, I love to go camping and hiking. And I couldn't find a better place for these hobbies than Oregon.
- Favorite spot in Portland: As I am new to the city and due to the COVID lockdown I didn’t have much opportunities to explore Portland yet, so for now my favorite spot in Portland is an Aerial Tram cabin where I can catch up a breathtaking view every single day on my way to the OHSU.
- Fun fact: I grew up on the shores of the Arctic Ocean and used to meet polar bears on my way to school, so I am a living proof of the myth that Russians are friends with bears.
Eric Nomura, MD
- Undergraduate: Colorado College
- Medical School: Oregon Health & Science University
- Interests: Within pathology I have an interest in hematopathology. In my home life my main interest is spending time with my wife and our dog, and together we enjoy many of the delights Oregon has to offer: I love to forage wild edible mushrooms in the spring and fall, explore different cultures through travel and food, identify and photograph plants and animals while hiking and backpacking. More recently, I’ve taken up growing tropical ferns from spores I’ve collected on past travels and propagating my own tropical house plants. Each fall I usually buy 500lbs of apples, press and ferment them, and make hard cider. This year I am going to try my hand at making wine and mead. Then there is the obligatory Oregon outdoor scene; I love to resort and backcountry ski, climb mountains, go for long runs, surf, skateboard, and rock climb.
- Favorite spot in Portland: Wildwood Trail, Forest Park
- Fun fact: Before medical school I ran a screen printing and design company with a friend and together we created the “Philosoraptor” as a t-shirt design which became one of the earlier internet memes and has spawned statues, tattoos, knockoffs, and very nearly a Taco Bell Super Bowl ad.
Benjamin F. Smith, MD
- Undergraduate: Tufts University, majored in Community Health & American Studies
- Medical School: The Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
- Interests: Riding my bike, hiking, reading, wordplay, fermentation
- Favorite spot in Portland: Kenilworth Park
- Fun fact: I’m a certified yoga teacher
Alaaeddin Alrohaibani, MD
- Medical School: Batterjee Medical College for Sciences and Technology
- Interests: Running and soccer
- Favorite spot in Portland: St. Johns Bridge
- Fun fact: I am in a relationship with coffee and I support the Drogba legend team: Chelsea FC
Robert Christian, MD, MS
- Undergraduate: Kansas State University, degrees in Biology and Anthropology
- Medical School: University of Kansas
- Interests: Transfusion medicine, GI pathology, Hiking, Kayaking, Being outdoors, Baking
- Favorite spot in Portland: Forest Park
- Fun fact: I used to work as an archaeologist
Hetal Gujaria, MD, MBBS
- Undergraduate: Bhavan’s College of Science , Arts and Commerce, Mumbai, India
- Medical School: M.I.M.E.R Medical College, Maharashtra, India
- Interests: Dermatopathology, Hematopathology and Molecular Pathology
- Favorite spot in Portland: International Rose Test Garden
- Fun fact: I love spending time with my family and friends, and traveling . I also like reading ancient Vedic scriptures and literature.
Words that I live by: “Be…..don’t try to become”
Words that I wish to live by: “Tomorrow never comes, it is always today”
Cristina Magallanes Hoyos, MD
- Medical School: Universidad Popular del estado de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico
- Interests: Hemetopathology and Molecular pathology
- Favorite spot in Portland: Is so difficult to pick a spot since every square root in Portland is so beautiful. I will go with all the amazing trails PDX has within the city or it’s surroundings, being able to just lost in the woods within the city is an incredible way to recharge and reconnect
- Fun fact: I love Elmo memes and any random funny meme that I can find on google, I love sushi, I am big fan of FC Barcelona soccer team, and I like to wear different pairs of glasses just to keep life fun and interesting
Ashley Gamayo, MBBS, MPH
- Undergraduate: University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Medical School: University of Queensland – Ochsner Clinical School, Brisbane, Australia/New Orleans, LA
- Interests: Hula and Tahitian dancing, singing, reading/listening to audiobooks, snowboarding, being out in the gorgeous PNW nature, road trips/travel, food and beverage, musical theater, spending time with family and friends
- Favorite spot in Portland: Sauvie Island
- Fun fact: I love performing on stage and when I was in high school, I danced with my hula group in an annual televised hula competition in Hilo, HI called the Merrie Monarch Festival.
Erik Handberg, MD
- Undergraduate: Arizona State University
- Medical School: The University of Arizona College of Medicine
- Interests: Comedy, Motorcycles, True Crime, Pizza, and making sure to offset my diet of food cart food with absolutely never hiking.
- Favorite spot in Portland: After COVID: probably my living room or maybe my kitchen / before COVID: either Scottie’s Pizza Parlor or Roadside Attraction
- Fun fact: You can use a SodaStream to carbonate chocolate almond milk. It does explode everywhere, but it still technically works.
Alyssa Penning, MD (Chief Resident)
- Undergraduate: BA in International Studies, Loyola University Chicago
- Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine
- Interests: Within medicine, my focus is in pediatrics, and my interests include improving health literacy, transparency in healthcare and education, and supporting patient advocacy. Both within and outside of work, I’m a widely enthusiastic person—I enjoy good food, in-depth discussions, hiking, reading, tabletop games, adventures of all types—I’m into any chance to experience or learn something new!
- Favorite spot in Portland: Anywhere I can get a view of the mountains over the city
Maedeh (Mana) Mohebnasab, MD
- Medical School: Shahrekord University of Medical Science, Iran
- Interests: Molecular Pathology, Taekwondo
- Favorite spot in Portland: OHSU campus in Marquam Hill, seriously 😃
- Fun fact: Pandas have been living since 1 to 2 million years ago with minimum biological evolution. Pandas have six toes and they are being born mostly in August. More than 10 billion doughnuts are made every day in the U.S and I only eat one per week!