The general requirements for the Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Engineering are summarized in this section. More detailed information can be found in the Biomedical Engineering Program guidelines and regulations.
Students complete most of their required coursework during the first two years. Thereafter, the majority of the time is spent conducting research under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
All students must pass a written and oral qualifying examination to advance to candidacy for the Ph.D. by the end of the second year of training.
Biomedical Engineering Seminar
All students must present departmental research seminar by the end of the 3rd year.
Ph.D. Dissertation and Oral Examination
All students must complete a Ph.D. dissertation and pass the Graduate Council Oral Examination. It is generally expected that students will complete this requirement during 5th year of training.
Biomedical Engineering graduate students work directly with a faculty advisor upon admission. The faculty advisor and student will meet regularly (at least two times per term) to help and advise the student during the first year, and to discuss coursework, academic performance and research opportunities. Students are strongly encouraged to use their faculty advisor as a resource and sounding board.
OHSU Biomedical Engineering students are expected to meet the degree requirements according to the checklist for the academic year at the time of matriculation:
- Students are required to earn a minimum of 135 graduate-level term-hour credits. At least 54 must be in BME 603 Ph.D. Dissertation Research.
- The required courses include BME 607 Biomedical Engineering Seminars, CONJ 650Principles of Scientific Conduct and Practice, CONJ 620 Introduction to Biostatistics for Basic Sciences.
- In addition, four electives must be selected from either the Department of Biomedical Engineering or other School of Medicine departments.
- Graduate credit is granted only for coursework in which an A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, or P (Pass) grade is received. C- or lower will not earn credit.
- Students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in graduate-level work.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information presented on our web pages. However, all information is subject to change or deletion without notice. This information should not be construed in any way as forming the basis of a contact.