In addition to providing clinical care to women with complicated vulvar problems, faculty within the Center for Womens’ Health’s Vulvar Program maintain an active interest in investigations into the etiology and novel treatment of these complex problems. Additional research resources include the Women’s Health Research Division at OHSU, the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute (OCTRI), and the Oregon National Primate Research Unit.
To learn more about clinical trial opportunities in women’s health, contact 503-494-3666.
Current areas of research interest include both surgical and non-surgical treatment of vulvar vestibulitis (vestibulodynia), biologic markers and etiologic factors of vulvar pain,sexuality and pain, recurrent vaginitis, and vulvar dermatoses.
Vulvar health publications
Journal articles, chapters and publications
- Goetsch, M, Lim, JY, Caughey, AB. A Practical Solution for Dyspareunia in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Controlled Trial; J of Clinical Oncology 2015. Abstract
- Goetsch, M, Lim, JY, Caughey, AB. Locating Pain in Breast Cancer Survivors Experiencing Dyspareunia: A Randomized Controlled Trial; Obstetrics & Gynecology 2014. Abstract
- Furukawa, AP, Patton, PE, Amato, P, Li, H, Leclair, CM. Dyspareunia and Sexual Dysfunction in Women Seeking Fertility Treatment; Fertil Steril 2012.
- Goetsch M. Unprovoked Vestibular Burning in Late Estrogen-Deprived Menopause: A Case Series. J Lower Gen Tract Dis 2012; 16(4):442-446.
- Leclair CM, Hart AE, Goetsch MF, Carpentier H, Jensen JT. Group B Streptococcus: Prevalence in a Non-obstetric Population. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2010; Jul;14(3):162-6.
- Rodriguez MI and Leclair CM. Benign Vulvar Dermatoses. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2012; 67(1):55-63.
- VanSandt AM , Bronson J, Leclair CM, Goetsch MF, and Mansoor A. Low-grade Fibromyxoid Sarcoma of The vulva: A Case Report, accepted for publication in J Low Genit Tract Dis 2013; 17.1.
- Leclair, CM, Goetsch, MF, Korcheva, VB, Anderson, R, Peters, D, Morgan, TK. Differences in Primary Compared With Secondary Vestibulodynia by Immunohistochemistry. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 117(6):1307-13.
- Goetsch MF, Morgan TK, Korcheva, VB, Hong, L, Peters, D, Leclair, CM. Histologic and receptor analysis of primary and secondary vestibulodynia and controls: a prospective study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010; 202:614.e1-8.
- Goetsch M. Incidence of Bartholin’s Duct Occlusion after Superficial Localized Vestibulectomy, American Journal of ObGyn, 2009;200:688.e1-688.e6.
- Goetsch M. Patients' Assessments of a Superficial Modified Vestibulectomy for Vestibulodynia. Journal of Reproductive Medicine Vol 53, Number 6, June 2008.
- Goetsch M. Surgery Combined With Muscle Therapy for Dyspareunia From Vulvar Vestibulitis. Journal of Reproductive Medicine Vol 52, Number 7, July 2007.
- Goetsch M. Vulvar Vestibulitis: Dual sources of pain? National Vulvodynia Association Newsletter (readership 6000), Winter 05
- Goetsch M. Vulvar Vestibulitis, Contemporary Ob Gyn, 44(10):56-63,October, 1999
- Leclair CM. Lewiss R, Saul, T, Teng J. Gynecological Disorders in Geriatric Emergency Medicine. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2009; 26; 219-227. Provided vulvar images.Original published online Feb 26, 2009.Abstract
- Kennedy M, Leclair C, Boardman L. Topical and Injectable Therapies for Vulvar Pain, In Goldstein AT, Pukall CF, Goldstein I (Eds.) Female Sexual Disorders. UK:
- Leclair CM, Goetsch M, Lee K. Jensen JT. KTP-Nd: YAG Laser Therapy for the Treatment of Vestibulodynia: a Follow-up Study. Journal of Reproductive Medicine Vol 52, Number 1, January 2007.
- Jensen JT, Bird M, Leclair CM. Patient satisfaction following treatment of vulvovaginal erosive lichen planus with topical clobetasol and tacrolimus: a survey study. Am J Ob/Gyn. 2004;190(6):1752-1758
- Jensen JT, Wilder K, Carr K, Romm J, Hansen A. Quality Of Life and Sexual Function Following Evaluation and Treatment at a Referral Center for Vulvovaginal Disorders. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2003;188(6):1629-37.
- Hansen A, Carr K, Jensen JT. Characteristics and initial diagnoses in women presenting to a referral center for vulvovaginal disorders in 1996-2000. J Reprod Med 2002;47(10):854-60.
- Leclair CM, Jensen JT. A Systematic Approach to Vulvodynia. Current Women's Health Reviews 2005 Nov; 1(3): 209-16.
- Goetsch M. Vulvar Vestibulitis: Prevalence and Historic Features in a General Gynecologic Practice Population. Am J Obstet Gynecol 164(6):1609-1616, June 1991.
- Goetsch M. Simplified Surgical Revision of the Vulvar Vestibule for Vulvar Vestibulitis, Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1174(6):1701-1707, June 1996.
- Goetsch M. Postpartum Dyspareunia-An Unexplored Problem, Journal of Reproductive Medicine, 44;963-8, December, 1999.
- Goetsch M. The effect of total hysterectomy on specific sexual sensations, Am J Obstet Gynecol,192(6):1922-28, June 2005.
- Romm J and Jensen J. Incidence of Vaginismus in Patients Evaluated in Vulvar Pain Clinic (Abstract), Women's Health Journal, 5:4:239-240, Winter 1995.
Electronic publications (peer reviewed)
- “Vulvar Pain: An Expert Interview with Catherine M. Leclair, MD”, Medscape Ob/Gyn & Women’s Health, 9/30/2009. Abstract
- Leclair CM, Jensen JT. Vulvodynia. [Date accessed: 2004 Nov 19] In: PIER [online database]. Philadelphia, American College of Physicians, 2004.
Schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment, please call