Please note: In compliance with Oregon law, OHSU’s COVID-19 Immunization and Education policy will go in effect Oct. 18, 2021. Visitors and volunteers who have an in-person assignment must be fully vaccinated (14 days after last dose). Exception requests from visitors and volunteers will not be accepted. Please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination, or to receive a Covid-19 vaccination, as a requirement for onboarding for your in-person assignment at OHSU. You will not be allowed to participate within OHSU if you are not compliant with this policy.
Become a volunteer
- Can you commit to 26 shifts (6 months) of volunteering for 4 hours a week?
- Do you meet the minimum age requirement of 14 years old?
- Guide (must be at least 14 years old)
- Art Cart (must be at least 16 years old)
- Age 18+ are eligible for all positions
- Are you able to complete all training and compliances?
- Approximately 9 hours of online training
- Medical clearance involving immunizations (including the Covid-19 Vaccine) and a Tuberculosis Test
- Background check
- Multiple trips to OHSU during business hours for orientations, trainings and badge pick-up.
Volunteers work to positively impact the pediatric, adult or geriatric patient experience by visiting and spending quality time with patients and families. Additionally, they support staff with non-medical tasks while expanding their own knowledge of the hospital setting.
- Abdominal Transplant and Surgical Specialties
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Cardiac and Progressive Care
- Emergency Surgery
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Neurology and Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- Orthopedic and Spine
- Outpatient Care Unit
- Surgical Oncology
- Adult Hematology-Oncology and Infusion
- Diabetes Clinic
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology and Infusion Clinic
- Pediatric Surgery
- Procedural Care Unit
- Emergency Department*
- Pediatric Emergency Department*
* experience required, 12 month commitment required
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
- Medical Intensive Care Unit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Trauma and Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Hematology-Oncology and Intermediate Care
- Pediatric Acute Care Center
- Audiology Clinic
- Autism Clinic
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy Clinic
- Early Access Assistive Clinic
The Summer Program is designed to offer students the unique opportunity to support OHSU patients and families with an abbreviated volunteer commitment during their summer breaks from school.
- Farmers Market
- Guide volunteers
- Art Cart Volunteers
- DCH Clinic Ambassadors
- Healing Through Music
*Volunteers make a commitment of two 4-hour shifts per week for a minimum of 3 months. Applications are due by April 15th.
Summer Program Application: please use this link only
Events can be a fun, creative and effective way to raise awareness of and provide valuable financial contributions to OHSU and its mission. Your group can help OHSU Hospital and Clinics or Doernbecher Children's Hospital by organizing a fundraiser or drive to collect supplies from Doernbecher’s Wish List.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, OHSU employees can volunteer. However, employees will be assigned outside of their department of employment and may be subject to a Position Description review by OVV.
We will send an invitation to our monthly New Volunteer Orientation within 2-3 weeks. You will receive more information at the orientation regarding your next steps. See an overview of the volunteer onboarding process.
Our minimum commitment for volunteers is 6 months, done in a minimum of one 4-hour shift per week. To find one-day or family-friendly volunteer options in the community visit the Portland area volunteer center.
We are unable to offer group volunteer opportunities at OHSU due to infection control standards, as well as the protection of our patients’ confidentiality and comfort. Your group can help OHSU Hospital and Clinics or Doernbecher Children's Hospital by organizing a fundraiser or drive to collect supplies from Doernbecher’s Wish List.
We do not assist with arranging shadowing opportunities. If you are interested in shadowing a doctor or nurse, you will need to contact the provider directly. Providers can email us at OVV@ohsu.edu to get the information they need to onboard a shadow/observation individual.